NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:05 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:18 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If UConn, Cincinnati, and company are unwilling to part with the Big East name and, as its believed, the Catholic 7 don't want the new league name to include any allusions to Catholicism, how about the name Big North Conference?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:25 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

fighting muskie wrote:
If UConn, Cincinnati, and company are unwilling to part with the Big East name and, as its believed, the Catholic 7 don't want the new league name to include any allusions to Catholicism, how about the name Big North Conference?

The "Catholic" schools are more connected to the Big East name since the Big East was founded as a basketball league and they should get to keep the name. The football schools should bring back the "Metro Conference" name.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 pm 
Junior
Junior

civilrat wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

The "Catholic" schools are more connected to the Big East name since the Big East was founded as a basketball league and they should get to keep the name. The football schools should bring back the "Metro Conference" name.

I was talking to someone the other day who mentioned that the "Catholic 7" name is starting to grow on them, even if there are more than seven teams because since when is the number in the conference name refer to the number of schools in it. I think the Catholic schools should fight for the Big East name the Catholic 7 wouldn't be a bad choice except for the schools wanting no reference to Catholicism in the name.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hickory_cornhusker wrote:
civilrat wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

I was talking to someone the other day who mentioned that the "Catholic 7" name is starting to grow on them, even if there are more than seven teams because since when is the number in the conference name refer to the number of schools in it. I think the Catholic schools should fight for the Big East name the Catholic 7 wouldn't be a bad choice except for the schools wanting no reference to Catholicism in the name.

Frank the Tank's Slant purposed using the name "Classic East" for the Catholic 7, and I think it sounds the best...numbers should be avoided at all cost...look at the Big 10, Big 12, A10 etc...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:31 am 
All-Star
All-Star

When you look at the FB side, even Cincy and USF came from CUSA !
The only pre-2003 Big East members left are UConn (which had D-IAA FB back then) and Temple (which was aFB affiliate, and wsa kicked out in 2003).

HOWEVER, since the Catholic 7 are splitting off, they really lose any legal claim to continuity of the Big East name.
The name is an asset with value really only to the Catholic 7 (and long-time members Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, St. Johns, and Providence) in my opinion.
I'm not sure the FB side isn't willing to SELL the name.
Their claim to want to keep the name may just be "posturing", as part of the "divorce negotiations".

We'll see....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Mark Blaudschun blog article discussing "possibility" of CathCon 7 starting up for 2013-2014 at http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5347

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:15 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Does anyone know roughly how much each unit a conference earns for the NCAA's men's basketball is worth?

The tone of the Catholic 7 expansion conversation seems to be shifting from 12 members to 10 but to me it would seem to make more sense to go with 12 and bring in a couple more schools who have the potential to make deep tournament runs and accrue units for the league. Let's face it; DePaul, Seton Hall, and Providence aren't going to be going dancing but bubble Catholic 7 candidates like St Louis, Creighton, and VCU are.

Sure, television money is great but what generates television money is the perceived strength of your conference and having a couple more tournament regulars would bolster that perception.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Apparently FOX wants 12.

Fox is largely calling the shots, since they are the source of the C7 - 10? -12? going forward.

Mark Blaudschein mentined initially 10, then 12 at a later date, which sounded like an attempt to perhaps limit how much money was being shared during 2014 which might have been
some transitional year with ESPN, OR perhaps it would let the last 2 teams stay in the A-10 one more year and reduce their exit fee payments,
since they would be giving the A-10 the required advance notice.

It sounds now like perhaps the C7 wants to make a quick break of it in 2013 (sort of "cold turkey").
I think they will go to 12 with 6 midwest and 6 east, like the one writer stated.
And know it looks like the C7 is pursuing the Big East name, as they should.
This is all up in the air, and maybe in another week or so, the BE parties will annnounce the full details of their settlement.

That pile of cash seems awfully enticing. I'm thinking the FB schools can't be too nasty in the negotitations, or the C7 may vote to dissolve the confernece and split up the money,
rather than exit the conference and leave a big pile of money behind for the FB schools.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:28 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tute79 wrote:
Apparently FOX wants 12.

Fox is largely calling the shots, since they are the source of the C7 - 10? -12? going forward.

Mark Blaudschein mentined initially 10, then 12 at a later date, which sounded like an attempt to perhaps limit how much money was being shared during 2014 which might have been
some transitional year with ESPN, OR perhaps it would let the last 2 teams stay in the A-10 one more year and reduce their exit fee payments,
since they would be giving the A-10 the required advance notice.

It sounds now like perhaps the C7 wants to make a quick break of it in 2013 (sort of "cold turkey").
I think they will go to 12 with 6 midwest and 6 east, like the one writer stated.
And know it looks like the C7 is pursuing the Big East name, as they should.
This is all up in the air, and maybe in another week or so, the BE parties will annnounce the full details of their settlement.

That pile of cash seems awfully enticing. I'm thinking the FB schools can't be too nasty in the negotitations, or the C7 may vote to dissolve the confernece and split up the money,
rather than exit the conference and leave a big pile of money behind for the FB schools.

I'm pretty sure that it was established a couple months ago that the Catholic 7 doesn't have the power to dissolve the conference without the vote of one football school and I don't see that vote from USF, UConn, or Cincinnati being forthcoming.

The Catholic 7 also have to realize that their clock to get a deal done is ticking. If they don't get a deal done by July 1st then Temple, Houston, SMU, Memphis, and UCF will all get to vote in the process and I'm sure these incoming members will push to keep as much of the Big East's assets with the football faction.

I am a huge fan of the idea of staggering the exit dates for the 5 new members of the Catholic 7. This is a real win-win in that for 2013-2014 there are fewer schools to divide the FOX pot among and the schools that wait a year will save on exit fees. I imagine they'd work out an arrangement for some OOC games between the Catholic 7 schools and the soon-to-be Catholic 7 schools to help ease the Catholic 7's scheduling woes. They could probably get away with bringing in Xavier this year for an 8 member conference and then waiting on the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:43 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

fighting muskie wrote:
Does anyone know roughly how much each unit a conference earns for the NCAA's men's basketball is worth?

It's a share of the current year's TV deal for the next six years, so it goes up.

http://www.bloguin.com/runthefloor/2012 ... ament.html

2011 was $239,664
2012 was estimated at $258,502.

So a unit earned in 2010 going to be about $1,752,000; and a unit earned in this season's tourney is probably going to total about $2.2 million (if the TV deal grows at the same rate, which is x1.0786 the year before).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN just reported Xavier and Butler to Big East in 2013. Creighton, Dayton, St.Louis in 2014. They retain BE name

edit: CSN board is saying Creighton also coming in 2013

Edit:Your ESPN report has not been confirmed.In the future please add links to any ESPN reports.

Thanks
Freaked

Last edited by Fresno St. Alum on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:53 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

It's likely that the Catholic Seven will end up with its two biggest wishes the Big East name and the conference tournament at Madison Square Garden Fox appears to be getting its biggest wish that the new league will begin play next season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
ESPN just reported Xavier and Butler to Big East in 2013. Creighton, Dayton, St.Louis in 2014. They retain BE name

Neither VCU no Richmond...wow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Neither VCU no Richmond...wow

I was surprised about this as well. Richmond and VCU could have been great possible candidates as well. And now that the "Catholic 7" group has retained the Big East name starting next season, what will be the new conference name for the old Big East (the football-sponsoring one)?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN article(previously posted in another thread)reporting that Fox Sports is expected to announce next Tuesday the addition of the Catholic 7/BE BB schools to their broadcast lineup for 2013-2014.At some point in the next several days there could/should be announcements regarding additional members to this league from the pool of schools that have been discussed on this MB for the last few months,to include Xavier,Butler and others.Link at http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ng-sources

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next