NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Ok. And aside from what you've said, will the new Big East be ONLY a basketball conference (now splitting from the football-sponsoring schools) or will it be an all-sports conference starting next season?

The Big East will be an all sports conference that does not sponsor football, but I assume they'll sponsor the main sports like M/Wbb, volleyball, softball, baseball, M/W tennis, M/W golf, M/W t&f/cc, + M/W LAX, M/W soccer, & possibly (not sure if enough teams to qualify) M/W swimming/diving and women's rowing but not Women's field hockey.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. And how about adding teams like Valparaiso?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:04 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Reports have indicated that the Big East and Fox's new sports channel, Fox Sports 1, will sign a long-term deal worth as much as $40 million per year

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

"Informed Sources" say to expect an announcement tomorrow (Wednesday) on Big East expansion....

http://seattletimes.com/html/sports/202 ... geast.html

Supposedly, Xavier has scheduled a presser afterward, so (to nobody's surprise) they would appear to be one of the invitees.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Ok. And aside from what you've said, will the new Big East be ONLY a basketball conference (now splitting from the football-sponsoring schools) or will it be an all-sports conference starting next season?

The Big East will be an all sports conference that does not sponsor football, but I assume they'll sponsor the main sports like M/Wbb, volleyball, softball, baseball, M/W tennis, M/W golf, M/W t&f/cc, + M/W LAX, M/W soccer, & possibly (not sure if enough teams to qualify) M/W swimming/diving and women's rowing but not Women's field hockey.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. And how about adding teams like Valparaiso?

Marquette wants Creighton (not too sure why) and St Louis is the best school in the remaining major area market not yet included in the Big East and they also help tie in Creighton in with the rest of the Western bunch.

The only other quality D1 schools in a major market that the Big East could get/take in the West are Duquesne (Pittsburgh), Cleveland St, Belmont (Nashville) Detroit and Wichita St (possibly Kansas City in combo w/ St Louis) (Louisville and Minneapolis are also missing market but have no quality non FBS teams available to them).

Anybody else would either be in a small market (like Bradley) or duplicate markets (like Valpo which would double cover the Chicago that they already have with DePaul) which they already may have two teams very close by in Xavier/Dayton (though technically they are separate markets).

That's why all you're really hearing about is whether or not Dayton (semi-dup market w/ Xavier) Creighton (furthest member West) or St Louis (least exciting addition) may not make it in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

nickp91 wrote:
Reports have indicated that the Big East and Fox's new sports channel, Fox Sports 1, will sign a long-term deal worth as much as $40 million per year

Thanks nickp,

Sounds like Fox paid up the full $40mil in order to get the Big East to go to 12 and not hold up at 10.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Indy Star also reporting that BE/Cath Con will make announcements tomorrow at 11am in New York to include additions of Butler,Xavier and Creighton,as expected.Link at http://www.indystar.com/article/2013031 ... e-New-York

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:27 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tkalmus wrote:
That's why all you're really hearing about is whether or not Dayton (semi-dup market w/ Xavier) Creighton (furthest member West) or St Louis (least exciting addition) may not make it in.

I agreed with everything you said but i am curious as to why you consider St Louis the least exciting addition: The Bilikens were regular season and tournament champs of a very deep A-10 this year and they bring in a nice arena in the #21 tv market which doesn't have an NBA presence. I think St Louis is actually a more attractive program than either Dayton or Creighton.

Fingers crossed all 3 will get in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

I agreed with everything you said but i am curious as to why you consider St Louis the least exciting addition: The Bilikens were regular season and tournament champs of a very deep A-10 this year and they bring in a nice arena in the #21 tv market which doesn't have an NBA presence. I think St Louis is actually a more attractive program than either Dayton or Creighton.

I was speaking more in general as I like STL getting in too.

Basic when I look at the additions I have them in this order...

Xavier has been the A10 headliner for years w/ 20+ tourney appearances
Bulter is new and exciting the power from the Horizon for the last few years w/ 12 tourney appearance.
Creighton has been the MVC headliner for years w/ 18 tourney appearance
Dayton is not too exciting but has 5 NCAA appearances since 2000 15 total.
St Louis my least exciting with 3 NCAA appearances since 2000 7 total.

I don't want to belabor the point but currently success isn't everything but it doesn show that St Louis could end up being the punching bag of this league. Still they were clearly better than the other choices Western choices Detroit and Wichita St.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

USAToday article reporting that as expected,BE/CathCon has announced signing tv deal with Fox and have added Butler,Creighton and Xavier.Link at http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... ct/2002227

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Now that I think about it, the additions of Xavier, Butler, and Creighton may be choreographed to ultimately expand to 6 east + 6 mid-west, and exclude Dayton.

1. Xavier may have pushed to exclude Dayton, since they would be competing for recruits in SW Ohio, northern KY, SE Indiana.
2. Adding Xavier, Dayton, Butler, St. Louis, Creighton creates a conf. with 7 in midwest division and 5 in the east division.
Bad set-up, unless you move either Xavier or Dayton to the East. Dayton and Xavier (Cincinnati) may be seen as redundant markets.

If they go to 12 in the future, it looks like Marquette and DePaul would be natural travel partners, Xavier doesn't need a travel partner (they have Butler over in Indianapolis),
Creighton could use a travel partner - hey how about SLU ????

All this makes me think Dayton may be out, and an eastern school would join SLU as #11/12.
Georgetown might want VCU or Richmond, but Georgetown could be paired with Villanova,
if they wanted to add a school further north like Siena or Holy Cross or [let Pope Francis I choose....]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Now that I think about it, the additions of Xavier, Butler, and Creighton may be choreographed to ultimately expand to 6 east + 6 mid-west, and exclude Dayton.

1. Xavier may have pushed to exclude Dayton, since they would be competing for recruits in SW Ohio, northern KY, SE Indiana.
2. Adding Xavier, Dayton, Butler, St. Louis, Creighton creates a conf. with 7 in midwest division and 5 in the east division.
Bad set-up, unless you move either Xavier or Dayton to the East. Dayton and Xavier (Cincinnati) may be seen as redundant markets.

If they go to 12 in the future, it looks like Marquette and DePaul would be natural travel partners, Xavier doesn't need a travel partner (they have Butler over in Indianapolis),
Creighton could use a travel partner - hey how about SLU ????

All this makes me think Dayton may be out, and an eastern school would join SLU as #11/12.
Georgetown might want VCU or Richmond, but Georgetown could be paired with Villanova,
if they wanted to add a school further north like Siena or Holy Cross or [let Pope Francis I choose....]

Then VCU and Richmond should be the right possible candidates to join the new Big East within a few years to come, once it has 12 members.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

I was speaking more in general as I like STL getting in too.

Basic when I look at the additions I have them in this order...

Xavier has been the A10 headliner for years w/ 20+ tourney appearances
Bulter is new and exciting the power from the Horizon for the last few years w/ 12 tourney appearance.
Creighton has been the MVC headliner for years w/ 18 tourney appearance
Dayton is not too exciting but has 5 NCAA appearances since 2000 15 total.
St Louis my least exciting with 3 NCAA appearances since 2000 7 total.

I don't want to belabor the point but currently success isn't everything but it doesn show that St Louis could end up being the punching bag of this league. Still they were clearly better than the other choices Western choices Detroit and Wichita St.

8 now, only 7 more years in a row w/o Dayton going once and they'll be even. I just hope they go to 12, I'm sure St.Louis would be 11 b/c of market I just hope fox pushes them to 12 b/c I'm sure greed will set in if they get the same contract w/ 10, then why add 2 more and take less money per school

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, well, you all SEEM TO FORGET how SLU (featuring "Easy" Ed McCauley) won the NIT in 1948, back when it was a bigger deal than the NCAA Tournament !!!

Just sayin'....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Knowing this collective's legacy of being political a-holes, if Dayton isn't joining this bunch now, they aren't EVER joining. Same goes for St. Joe's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Chicago Tribune article with comments from Depaul President and AD regarding future BE/BB conference expansion at http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... 0971.story

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next