It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:53 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 12:39 am 
Junior
Junior

ACCNole2 wrote:

Quote:
For my part I've heard the same two rumors from nothing but Big 10 guys, five from Michigan, one from Wisconsin, one from Minnesota (which bodes well for attendance of Big 10 appearances in Florida), all said the Big 10 had approached Missouri and Syracuse unofficially and been rebuffed. Maybe they've all got the same bogus source. All it takes is a somewhat plausible lie on a posting board to get things started......Curious how many people in the heart of Big 10 country have bought in to these rumors.

As you know, I live in Big11 country - and the only place I've ever heard rumors of the Big11 approaching anyone (other than NotreDame) about joining is on these boards - there's your common source.

There was once a Detroit News writer who wrote about how he thought that Miami(OH) would be a great addition for the Big11 - should that give that idea any weight in the Big11 meetings? Does that mean the Big11 was considering Miami(OH)? No, it doesn't. It's just one man's opinion who happens to get read by many other people. The Internet let's any fool that can write (and many who can not) - spread all kinds of useless non-information. This board has got more than it's share of those.

The fact that a few east coast writers think Pittsburgh (which becomes very available soon) would be a fit because they see it's near Ohio and west of PennSt is just lazy journalism. And then one writer after another runs with the same bad idea. They never stop to think: [list][*]Why has Pitt never been invited in the past?[/*:m]
  • What does the Big11 need Pitt for?[*]Why does the Big11 suddenly NEED to expand when they didn't need to 6 months ago?[/list:u:[/*:m]] It's the same thing with Syracuse and Missouri - they border Big11 country so writers daydream of being the first one to get the story - problem is - there is no story.

No credible source has ever come forward about these rumors - yet the ACC can't even keep who voted which way on expansion quiet for 12 hours. And you want me to believe that a couple of "well I heard that..." means that it actually happened? Sorry, ACCNole2, I give this rumor zero credibility.

People still believe in the loch ness monster, big foot and the yeti - yet there is no credible evidence of them either. To the conspiracy theorist - the very lack of evidence is the ultimate evidence of the widespread cover-up. It's hogwash.

ACCNole2 wrote:

Quote:
    .... I have to wonder though, what does the Big 10 think of the suggestions I've seen in many articles of Tranghese making a pitch to Penn St. to enter the BE and cement the conference together? Maybe they don't care.

Don't know of anyone who worries about PennSt leaving - most wouldn't even consider it a possibility. They thought PennSt was going to really shake-up the Big11 and challenge for supremacy - but they've never really lived up to that billing. One great year and that seems to have been it. They have never gotten any more competitive in BB, and in FB they have been less than their billing.

They would win a lot more in a Miami-less BigEast, but who would care? After a lack luster spin in the Big11 that would just re-enforce the belief that the east was weak.

DawgandDuckFan wrote:

Quote:
    Just what does the matchup with the Pac 10 offer the Big Ten anyway? When has the Pac 10 ever been on par with the SEC??

You're missing the point - the PAC10 is not a rival of the Big11, but a partner. The SEC-Big11 thing is fine for sports boards, but if a BCS split ever occured with the SEC going one way and the PAC10 another - put your money on the Big11 institutions going the way of the PAC10 partnership rather than with the SEC rivalry.

The Big11 and PAC10 were very reluctant to join the BCS and have been less than impressed with it since.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 7:53 am 
    All-Conference
    All-Conference

Quote:

Although I don't see the Big 10 pulling out jsut to follow the Pac 10, the "partnership" item is basically true.

Those two leagues have the highest academic standards of any I-A league when it comes to minimum standards required of conference members & average the schools' individual minimum standards.

They are major forces behind nearly every change in the NCAA that requires more academics from the student-athletes. These could be an altruistic moves to make sure students actually learn while in college or they could be self-interest moves given their higher standards.

If the NCAA set their minimum standards to match these two conferences, most sports programs in the SEC & Big 12 would have major problems getting large portions of each year's recruiting class eligible.

EarthX, do you mean that the Big Ten and the Pac 10 have higher academic standards, then, *gasp* :o , the ACC???? Or is the ACC in their league as well?? ???

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 7:55 am 
    All-Conference
    All-Conference

Quote:

If the NCAA set their minimum standards to match these two conferences, most sports programs in the SEC & Big 12 would have major problems getting large portions of each year's recruiting class eligible.

No argument there.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:29 am 
    CollegeSportsInfo Admin
    CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Quote:
    KingCal:

TCU and UTEP.....absolutely zero potential there. The only similarity is that the are both in Texas....but still close to 600 miles apart. From the east coast perspective, that is about the same as a drive from NYC to South Carolina, or NYC-Indiana (remember, you are talking about Texas). TCU-UTEP have no more in common than Rutgers-Clemson.

Re-read the ENTIRE post and try to pick up on the theme. I'll make it real simple for you:
    The MWC schools broke away form the WAC.
    Travel was indeed a partial concern in the league of 16 (5 time zones, yada yada, remember?)
    If the MWC wanted to expand eastern, there exists a chance that TCU would be included as it would be access into the Dallas market. If TCU were added the MWC might seek a team that geographically was within the area.

You following so far uman...

If you add TCU for their basic success and the Dallas market, and the closest school based on location is New Mexico, it certainly helps to add a school like UTEP, who has such high attendence and already is distinguishing themselves a s a candidate. If expansion is to 12, there is a limited pool of candidates. While the MWC would liek to stay in the West, there are only Fresno, Hawaii and possible Boise St that are of interest. They might need to revisit the idea of expanding east.

You following me still uman...

I didn't LITERALLY mean that TCU and UTEP would team up like buddies and enjoy milk shakes togehter on friday nights, while becoming study partners and best-ist buddies in alllllll the land. I simply meant that UTEP was an excellent bridge into the state of Texas and TCU.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
    You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:31 am 
    CollegeSportsInfo Admin
    CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Not to mention...

History has to start somewhere. Rivalries are built over time and as you mentiond, uman, they aren't always true geographic. Many times it's just (2) programs that rise to the top in the same conference.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
    You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:57 am 
    It'd be interesting if the MWC became the "other" conference for Texas teams. With BCS participation (or whatever it may be called then) and a chance to beat up on middle of the road competition, teams like SMU might be able to come back from the brink, or teams like UTEP could rise up further. Maybe Texas/NM is the way to go for the MWC. I hate to see Boise St. left out, but that's not an easy trip, and they've probably peaked already. Some of these Texas schools that are down in the dumps have much more of an upside, and if nothing else would bring in some Texas tv (more over time if they win and make the bowls/playoffs) and really help the rest of the conference to recruit Texas.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:47 pm 
    SM - Southern Methodist

USM = University of Southern Miss

Are you sure you have a clue??

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:37 pm 
    One potential option is for the Big East to form a small market bi-coastal league of 14 teams.

East
    Virgina Tech
    UVA
    Rutgers
    Louisville
    UConn
    Memphis
    Pitt or Marshall if Pitt leaves

West
    Fresno State
    Boise State
    Hawaii
    Colorado State
    Tulsa
    UTEP
    Reno or Utah State

This group would provide good balance between football and basketball and would be less likely to be poached for major market teams. It should be strong enough to maintain the BCS slot both politically and on the field. Finally they could tie the schools in with a strong financial disincentive to leave.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:06 am 
    Boy, How did Nevada come to take second fiddle to their recent doormats likes Boise State, Utah State, UNLV, and Fresno?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:35 pm 
    Look everyone, I think you need to give the University of Tulsa a little more credit than you have been giving it. First off, Tulsa is not a terrible place to travel. It is also the 43rd largest market in the country, not great, but still not too bad either. Also, they have a new football coach and a little tradition to boot. Oklahoma is actually a pretty strong recruiting area as well (just ask Kansas State and Missouri). The only reason Oklahoma doesn't get the respect Texas does is because it is a relatively unpopulated state, about 1/6 the size of Texas, therefore only about 1/6 of the number of recruits as Texas. Even though they have been god awful the last few years, they are still not even close to dropping D1 status as they still average close to 30,000 per game. But perhaps the most attractive quality is their basketball program. I'm sure you all know how well Tulsa has done no matter what conference they are in. Tulsa has made a trip to the elite eight in 2000, beat Marquette in 2002, and beat Dayton in 2003 (should have beat Wisconsin too ;). I think Tulsa would add to most of the conferences they have been mentioned in. I personally like the Gulf Conference.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:12 am 
    Freshman
    Freshman

Josh I'm with you, Tulsa could bring a great deal to a conference like the MWC. A least one extra invite in hoops every year, and a trip to yet another solid recruiting area. Tradition aside, the MWC ought to build a base in Texas/Colorado/Oklahoma and recruit that fertile Big 12 territory. Same goes for adding Fresno State to add a few more trips to Cali.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:20 am 
    Freshman
    Freshman

Dude I agree; I could not have said it better myself.
    geez tho 115+ div 1a schools...yes all have the right to a shot but fot the fans ...pffft...