NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:43 pm 
Another point. These "big schools" do have the opportunity to schedule out-of-conference games. SEC schools that want to play Texas (or anywhere else) schools should schedule them. They do have at least 3 to 4 choices per year, though they have to do it well (a few years usually) in advance. Strange, Middle Tennessee, Louisiana-Monroe, and Troy State have been among the more popular choices. Wonder why!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:50 pm 
Tranghese appealing to Miami Pres Donna Shalala to make a moral decision? Well, at least it is an angle other than money.
While the ACC move is a bit unseamly, the Big East needed to have been proactive beforehand. They let Notre Dame share their coffers and bowl bids without joining as a football member. They kept Temple out of basketball (and they have been good in this sport) and later delivered them a future boot from the football BE. They failed to think futuristic in moving to "all sports" and resolving the divide between the BB schools and football interests. They were slow in admitting VaTech, and others beforehand, to BB play. And, they probably needed to work with the A-10 in switches rather than the raid factor themselves. Going way back, it all has roots with Penn State never being admitted to play in the BB Big East. VERY SHORT SIGHTED! Granted, when they added Miami, it was a great move. But knowing where they are located, and their fb success, they had to have an idea Miami one day may be courted by more southern-type conferences.
While I think Syracuse and BC are better off staying in an East league, I do think Miami may be better for the ACC. However, I believe Va Tech also belongs with the ACC.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

My apologies Arkansan; No disrespect was intended there. Your school was only mentioned in that capacity because that was the case being presented in earlier posts. But this was all just conjecture and as my discussion tried to point out, the SEC would be better off staying as is. I like the renovated stadium in Fayetteville and think that Arkansas is poised to be more of a perennial challenger in the west now, as evidenced by last year's division title.

As a whole, let's get this out of our system, shall we. We know some schools are going to move around and that this first proposed move by the ACC will start a domino effect. But, IMO, the moves expected after that will not be the seismic events many of us our talking about save for what becomes of the BE. I can't fathom the Pac 10 reaching any further in distance than Colorado State; Then again I don't think they'll expand at all, so why go there. Remember these are schools we're talking about, with other programs and realities than just football allegiances. The people who actually make these decisions can and will take a lot more than conference branding into consideration. Because of that, I really don't see anyone from the SEC, Pac 10, Big 12 or Big 10 making any moves unless it's an action that clearly benfits all involved.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
While I think Syracuse and BC are better off staying in an East league, I do think Miami may be better for the ACC. However, I believe Va Tech also belongs with the ACC.

Va Tech geographically, probably belongs in the ACC. Of course, I can make a case for Auburn being an ACC member as well geographically. The academics of VT and Auburn are both ACC caliber. However, what do VT and Auburn bring to the table, other than football?
How are VT & Auburn culturally similar to other ACC schools? Questions to ponder.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:47 pm 

Quote:

Va Tech geographically, probably belongs in the ACC. Of course, I can make a case for Auburn being an ACC member as well geographically. The academics of VT and Auburn are both ACC caliber. However, what do VT and Auburn bring to the table, other than football?
How are VT & Auburn culturally similar to other ACC schools? Questions to ponder.

Well, Va Tech was/is available, and wanted to be in the ACC. Auburn is not. Of course there are some SEC fans who would just love to see them (them other tigers)elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:11 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Just because I don't know where else to throw out this idea...

If I'm the ACC, and I feel expansion is going to happen, the first thing I'm doing to make it even more attractive is floating 200k for an engineering study for the prospects of putting a roof on Ericsson Stadium for my FB anf BB championships. Or at least approaching the owners of the new Charlotte NBA franchise about pushing for the largest capacity arena possible to accomodate the BB tourney.