NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:32 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Here's a breakdown of all the conference moves and developments for the year of 2010. I simply went in to the articles posted throughout the year and built out a timeline of what happened...or almost happened.

It's bee available on the homepage at http://collegesportsinfo.com and directly at http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/01/01 ... ent-moves/

Feel free to use the comments section on the article as well.

Although I've yet to bridge the login from the forums to the new site, it's on the 2011 to-do list ;)

- Quinn

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:39 am 
Senior
Senior

Nice article. Could be either a very interesting or very boring year. Here's to hoping it's an interesting one. I'd sure like to see more conferences playing championship games.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:06 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Nice article. Could be either a very interesting or very boring year. Here's to hoping it's an interesting one. I'd sure like to see more conferences playing championship games.

Me too. But I've lost all interest in bowls, it almost doesn't matter for me. I'd be fine if the season ended on week 12. Uconn vs USF for a Big East championship means about as much to me (a northeasterner) as SMU vs Tulsa. Troy vs ULL in a sunbelt championship means to me as much as, well, nothing. None come close to say Florida vs LSU or Ohio St. vs Nebraska. But at least we might have USC vs Oregon soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:34 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:

Me too. But I've lost all interest in bowls, it almost doesn't matter for me. I'd be fine if the season ended on week 12. Uconn vs USF for a Big East championship means about as much to me (a northeasterner) as SMU vs Tulsa. Troy vs ULL in a sunbelt championship means to me as much as, well, nothing. None come close to say Florida vs LSU or Ohio St. vs Nebraska. But at least we might have USC vs Oregon soon.

I'm still holding out hope (though it won't happen) for 8 major conferences holding championship games. Then an 8 team playoff (MWC/WAC merger and just ignore the SB and MAC or send them down).

But yeah, something about this bowl season, never got into it. Though seeing the leaders and legends get spanked was fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:02 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

It's a nice thought. Most of us have it. But the reality is that it makes little sense. Should a 1 loss Ohio St. team who lost by a point to undefeated Nebraska be left out in favor of a 5 loss Middle Tennessee St. team? Or a 1 loss Texas team left out in favor of a 5 loss NMSU team from the WAC?

If there are only 8 spots, all of a sudden it makes sense for Washington to leave for the WAC and lock up a spot each year.

I'm for a playoff if it's the best teams...regardless of conference. In basketball, there are so many spots that everyone gets in. those left out have what 16-12 records? Hardly are argument compared to 1 loss team sin power conferences being left out in favor of hardly .500 Sunbelt/WAc teams (post BSU, Nevada, Fresno).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:54 pm 
Senior
Senior

I disagree. The same could be said about a number of teams. It's the argument we have every year, is a 1 loss SEC team more deserving to play in the NCG over a one loss Big 10 team or undefeated Big East team ect. In something like I suggest, everyone has a shot no matter what. You only have to beat out the other schools in your division to make the 16 team playoff. If you can't win your division (beating out 5 teams) and your conference you shouldn't have a shot for the NC in my opinion.

But I agree that the Suck Belt and MAC shouldn't be involved in this playoff. C-USA's champ would at least be a decent #8 team. Check out my post here and tell me what you think (that one is definitely a dream).

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2926

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn - Very nice job with the recap of 2010...

I saw 2 very minor typos...

1) Under September (after BYU was GONE from the WAC's dream) the WAC was down to 6 (not 7) - you list the remaining 6 schools....

2) About 3 lines above the TCU logo (near the bottom) change the word "not" to "left"...
"the Big Sky was LEFT with the awkward 11 / 13..."

Just in case you want to publish / copyright this !

Can you envision this whole thing becoming a "Made-for-ESPN" movie for us sports junkies ?
It'd be AWESOME... especially the stuff in June with the Big XII schools being yanked in so many different directions, and then the WAC's ill-fated "BYU gambit"in August ....
If some investigative reporter could get the various parties to talk, they'd probably reveal a bunch of stuff that we hadn't even heard of or imagined !

HBO made a funny movie in 1993 ("Barbarians at the Gate") about the boardroom shananigans when various companies were plotting hostile takeover of RJR Nabisco... James Garner was the CEO, with a young trophy wife and the movie was hilarious. This conference re-alignment story is similar but with so many MORE moving parts...

I'm thinking:
Robert Duvall as Jim Devany
Pierce Brosnan as Craig Thompson
Tom Skerritt as Tom Osborne
Other major charachters: Texas AD Deloss Dodds, Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbick, WAC commissioner Karl Benson, Big XII Commissioner Don Beebe.... (you can cast them....)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:30 am 
Junior
Junior

tute79 wrote:
Quinn - Very nice job with the recap of 2010...

I saw 2 very minor typos...

1) Under September (after BYU was GONE from the WAC's dream) the WAC was down to 6 (not 7) - you list the remaining 6 schools....

2) About 3 lines above the TCU logo (near the bottom) change the word "not" to "left"...
"the Big Sky was LEFT with the awkward 11 / 13..."

Just in case you want to publish / copyright this !

Can you envision this whole thing becoming a "Made-for-ESPN" movie for us sports junkies ?
It'd be AWESOME... especially the stuff in June with the Big XII schools being yanked in so many different directions, and then the WAC's ill-fated "BYU gambit"in August ....
If some investigative reporter could get the various parties to talk, they'd probably reveal a bunch of stuff that we hadn't even heard of or imagined !

HBO made a funny movie in 1993 ("Barbarians at the Gate") about the boardroom shananigans when various companies were plotting hostile takeover of RJR Nabisco... James Garner was the CEO, with a young trophy wife and the movie was hilarious. This conference re-alignment story is similar but with so many MORE moving parts...

I'm thinking:
Robert Duvall as Jim Devany
Pierce Brosnan as Craig Thompson
Tom Skerritt as Tom Osborne
Other major charachters: Texas AD Deloss Dodds, Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbick, WAC commissioner Karl Benson, Big XII Commissioner Don Beebe.... (you can cast them....)

If ESPN continues doing 30 for 30 documentaries which from Bill Simmons podcasts it sounds like they want to in an albeit more limited scale with only handful of new ones each year. Five years from now I could see this being a 30 for 30 documenatry. Or have one about the Southwest Conference splitting up in the early 90s.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn,good piece on 2010 realignment.
Here is Buffalo Blog article taking a crack at 2011 college conference realignment at http://www.ubbullrun.com/2011/1/8/19234 ... -continues