NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:06 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: NHL Realignment News
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

NHL Re-alignment announced yesterday.

4 "conferences", as-yet unnamed (2 with 8, 2 with 7) -

("West") Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Colorado (8 could go to 7, if Phoenix were to move east)
("Central") Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Dallas
("Northeast" [+ Florida]) Montral, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Boston, Tampa Bay, Florida
("Atlantic) NY Rangers, NY Islanders, NJ Devils, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina

Scheduling format - play every team outside your conference 1 H + 1 A = 22 x 2 = 44 or 23 x 2 = 46
within 7 team division - play other 6 teams 3 H + 3 A = 6 x 6 = 36 (+ 46 inter-confernece games) = 82
within 8 team division - play 3 teams 3 H + 3 A = 3 x 6 = 18, play 2 teams 3 H + 2 A = 10, play 2 teams 2 H + 3 A = 10 18 + 10 + 10 = 38
The teams rotate through the patterns 38 (+ 44 inter-conference games) = 82

So they maintain the 82-game schedule and it's fairly balanced.

The vote was 26-4 to approve this. 4 divisions of 5 were preserved.
The teams in the middle of the country are much happier.
Dallas was moved from Pacific to Central, Minnesota from NW to Central, Winnipeg (was Atlanta) moved from SE to Central.
Detroit and Columbus were sikc of a lot of far-west play, now they do 1 trip per year, like everyone else.
They didn't move to an "Eastern" conference, but their opponents are evenly distributed now, so not so many late-start road games.
Atlantic fivesome and Northeast fivesome un-touched.
SE teams split up (Winnepeg to Central - makes sense); Washington / Carolina tacked on to Atlantic (reasonable);
Florida & Tampa Bay aligned with NE group. I'll guess the 4 "No" votes on realignment came from teams in the new Northeast,
because of this goofy arrangement with the Florida teams.

Playoffs - first 2 rounds go back to within divisions (now called "conferences") 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3; winners play each other.

TO BE DETERMINED in the next few months - names of the 4 conferences,
and how the final 4 play-off teams will be paired up in the Stanley Cup Semi-Finals.

STAY TUNED !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:06 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Correction in the above post -

I meant to say 3 of the existing 6 5-team groupings stayed intact.

Central (Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, St. Louis, Nashville) Winnepeg, Minnesota, Dallas added to them
Atlantic (NYR, NYI, New Jersey, Phildelphia, Pittsburgh) Washington, Carolina added to them
Northeast (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Boston) Florida, Tampa Bay added to them

Northwest (Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Minnesota) lost Minnesota
Pacific (San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Dallas) lost Dallas
those two foursomes were then merged into the new "West".

The Southeast (Winnipeg [was Atlanta], Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina, Washington) was totally dissolved and the teams re-assigned.

All in all, I like everything except the Florida teams arrangement, but they were already rather geogrphically isolated,
and will still be playing their intra-confrence games in the eastern time zone.
The schedule makes a LOT more sense.
Fans of every team will at least get to see at least one home game vs. every other team in the league once / year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:14 pm 
Senior
Senior

I like this arrangement. Minnesota and Dallas get out of multiple West Coast trips, so I'd say they were the biggest beneficiaries. Also, this gives at least some flexibility if the Coyotes move out of Phoenix next year:

* If they go somewhere out west (Portland, Seattle), keep them where they are
* If they go somewhere in the northeast (Quebec City, Hamilton), move them to the old Northeast Division + Florida teams
* If they go somewhere in the mid-Atlantic (not sure if there are any candidate cities there), move them to the old Atlantic Division + Washington/Carolina

The trickiest move would be if they went somewhere in the Central U.S. (Kansas City, Houston) since that division now has 8 teams. Maybe move Carolina to the old Northeast, Detroit and Columbus to the old Atlantic, and stick the relocated Coyotes in the old Central. As tough as it would be to break up Detroit/Chicago, it would at least put all Eastern Time Zone teams into two divisions.

Anyway, I'm betting the Coyotes situation will be resolved by the end of the year, so we'll know then if more realignment is coming.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

If Phoenix went to KC or Houston, I think I'd kick Columbus to the Atlantic (or whatever it's called).
Columbus just really doesn't have established rivalries. They are somewhat close to Detroit and Pittsburgh and Buffalo.
I think they might establish a rivalry with Pittsburgh IF in the same division.

There might be a tendency to move Nashsville to be with Carolina and the Florida teams,
although Nashville is in the Central time zone, and not very close to Charlotte.

Detroit has to be much happier with the new arrangement. Yes they are in Eastern time zone (like Columbus).
But their rivals are Chicago and St. Louis (they keep those rivalries) and there are WAY fewer games in the Mountain / Pacific time zones.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Just read that back in January, that realignment of the NHL was killed (likely for one season, may be ressurrected for 2013-14).

The problem - Donald Fehr - yep ! tht same a**hole who used to run the MLBPA is now running the NHLPA.

When Bettmann announced the realignment plan, he hadn't run it past the NHLPA, and apparently that was required.
So he realized he better do that, and of course, Fehr (in all likelihood, just to reinforce what a prick he likes to be) rejected it.

Apparently, Bettmann now realizes that he must kiss Fehr's posterior, and the new CBA negotiations are being described as "cordial".
Speculation is that Bettmann will re-submit the realignment as psrt of the new CBA, or try to gain NHLPA approval of it immediately thereafter.

In the meantime, Winnepeg is stuck in the Southeast.

So the two teams pondering relocation are Phoenix Coyotes and New York Islanders.

I believe the city of Glendale, AZ has a tentative revised arena agreement if the sale of the 'Yotes goes through to a Mr. Jamison (formerly with the SJ Sharks).
If all goes through, the 'Yotes would stay in Phoenix and not be looking to relocate to Seattle, KC, or Quebec.

The Islanders lease at the arean in Hempstead (Nassau County) expires in 2015. The team want to move to a new location.
There is one nearby - the Barclays Center in Brooklyn (new home of the NBA Nets). I assume the building is sized to accommodate a hockey rink.
Much is being made over whether the Rangers or Devils have any veto power over such aproposed relocation.
Quebec is waiting in the wings.
Seattle is too. Seattle is proposing a new arena IF they can get an NBA AND an NHL team to inhabit it.
I think the NBA team they have their eye on is either Golden State or Sacramento. The NHL team was the Coyotes, but the Islanders would do in a pinch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:36 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

It's official, Islanders are moving from Long Island to Brooklyn. 25 year lease starting in 2015.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

They will still be the Islanders (Brooklyn IS on Long Island, but about an hour west of Uniondale).

Issues. The Barclays is brand new, and hardly due for a make-over, but it is believed it will only have a seating capacity of 14,500 for hockey.
This would make it the smallest facility in the league (fewer seats than even Winnipeg).

Last year, the Islanders drwe an average of 13,200. Will those folks commute into Brooklyn to watch the team ?
Or will the Islanders have to pick up a lot of new season-ticket holders who live in/around Brooklyn? We'll see....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Phoenix Coyotes are DEFINITELY an issue, despite the NHL saying they seek a buyer to stay in town.

At $170 million, they're not priced to stay.

With a January 31 deadline passed on a particular deal that would have included $25 million from the city of Glendale, all sorts of parties "show" interest... until they see the books.

Quebec is building an arena. Seattle is just an NBA sale away from providing a reason for a new building and an environmental review away from breaking ground on that building.

Wildcard: Markham, suburb of Toronto, where the council voted to build an arena for NHL.

The only question in my mind: is the NHL trying to move after the season (Quebec) or are they trying to hold on a couple years (Seattle)? Or is there yet a sandblasted white knight?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:33 pm 
Senior
Senior

http://o.canada.com/2013/02/25/is-the-n ... Sz9CqXqrVs

I didn't read the article, just liked the picture as a clear representation.

I must admit, this surprised me a lot. It seems to set up for four conferences of 8 but this would mean the two additions would be out west rather than east. A yahoo article (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html) suggested that it could be conferences of 9! Are there really that many cities they can house hockey teams?

I can accept a second team in Toronto and a team in Quebec City for expansion, but four teams out west? Seattle, Portland, and/or SLC for the "west"? Milwaukee, Kansas City, and/or Houston for the "central"?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Funny thing with Phoenix: Seattle has the high profile arena project in progress at the moment, but Portland Winterhawks owner Bill Gallacher (mind you, a Calgary oil sands bigwig) poked around in Dallas 3 years ago and has reportedly poked around Phoenix. Gallacher is certainly characterized as having the money. The rumor here, however, is he's more interested in NHL ownership than he is NHL ownership in Portland.

Roadblock: Paul Allen. He's not totally against NHL in Portland, he would simply want to charge rent to offset what he believes would be a loss in sponsorships if the NHL shared his building.

Caveat: having had both Hodgkins and non-Hodgkins lymphoma in the last few years, Allen isn't exactly looking all that well. There's actually a Portland group that's poked around with Allen (with Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson somewhat subtly playing the frontman, not really the moneyman) wanting to buy the Blazers. What if Gallacher joins this group? What if Gallacher outbids the group?

Still, I don't think Gallacher gets Phoenix before Seattle (if anyone's really after the Coyotes for Seattle) gets NHL, which may well be the Coyotes. Or expansion.

I'm stopping short of writing another 10 paragraphs about the emotional rollercoaster following the Winterhawks this year, between the fantastic start, then serious sanctions, and the subsequent threat to funding renovations to the older Memorial Coliseum (the Hawks currently play half their games there). Gallacher has been either a damn good owner who pushes the edge... or pushes the edge and doesn't respect the WHL IMO. It's possible he's thinking that Seattle getting NHL (should that happen... I give it a 45% chance) makes the Winterhawks worth a lot less and almost forces a move. Eh, long story.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I think the reasoning for this plan, as opposed to the one that got shot down last year is that the NHL is leaving an opening in the West for a Seattle expansion franchise.

As for Quebec or a 2nd Toronto franchise, my guess is the idea is that Columbus can just be pushed West when the time comes. That, or the NHL's master plan is to put the 2nd Toronto team in the Western division with Chicago and co., thus every team in the NHL will be visiting Canada's biggest hockey city every year. I think the Leafs would be alright with the 2nd team if they werent in the same division and competing head to head with them

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I believe that the new realignment format should be like that for next season, but the Quebec Nordiques and the Hartford Whalers should return, just like the Winnipeg Jets (returning back to the West) did after replacing the Atlanta Thrashers last season, with some game-scheduling boost:

1. – Eastern Conference:
1.1. – Patrick Division:
1.1.1. – Atlantic Section: New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers and Philadelphia
1.1.2. – Southeast Section: Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay and Washington
1.2. – Adams Division:
1.2.1. – Northeast Section: Boston, Buffalo, Hartford (return?) and Pittsburgh
1.2.2. – Mideast? Section: Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec (return?) and Toronto

2 – Western Conference:
2.1. – Norris Division:
2.1.1. – Central Section: Chicago, Columbus, Detroit and St. Louis
2.1.2. – Midwest Section: Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville and Winnipeg
2.2. – Smythe Division:
2.2.1. – Northwest Section: Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton and Vancouver
2.2.2. – Pacific Section: Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix and San Jose

Schedule Format V-1.0 (84 total games):

Conference play; Division play; Intra-Section play: Each team will play four times – two home, two away – for a total of 12 Intra-Division Intra-Section games (3 * 4 = 12).
Conference play; Division play; Out-of-Section play: Each team will play all four teams four times – two home, two away – for a total of 16 Intra-Division Out-of-Section games (4 * 4 = 16).
Conference play; Out-of-Division play: Each team will play all eight teams three times for a total of 24 Out-of-Division games (8 * 3 =24).
Out-of-Conference play: Each team will play all 16 teams twice – one home, one away – for a total of 32 Out-of-Conference games (16 * 2 =32).

Sum that up for a total of 84 games in one season.

Schedule Format V-2.0 (82 total games):

Conference play; Division play; Intra-Section play: Each team will play six times – three home, three away – for a total of 18 Intra-Division Intra-Section games (3 * 6 = 18).
Conference play; Division play; Out-of-Section play: Each team will play all four teams four times – two home, two away – for a total of 16 Intra-Division Out-of-Section games (4 * 4 = 16).
Conference play; Out-of-Division play: Each team will play all eight teams twice – one home, one away – for a total of 16 Out-of-Division games (8 * 2 = 16).
Out-of-Conference play: Each team will play all 16 teams twice – one home, one away – for a total of 32 Out-of-Conference games (16 * 2 = 32).

Sum that up for a total of 82 games in one season.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:11 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

A revised 4-division alignment is going to be submitted for approval for 2013-14:

Atlantic: NYR, NYI, NJD, Phil, Pit, COLUMBUS, WASHINGTON, CAROLINA (8)

Northeast (or will it be "East" ?): Mtl, Ott, Tor, DETROIT, Bos, Buff, TAMPA BAY, FLORIDA (8)

Central: Nash, Chi, St.L, WINNIPEG, MINNESOTA, DALLAS, COLORADO (7)

Pacific (or will it be "West" ?): CALGARY, EDMONTON, VANCOUVER, SJ, LA, Anaheim, Phx (7)

In the new format, you will play every team in the opposite conference Home and Away.

Playoffs: 1,2,3 from each division + 2 wild cards from each conference = 8 teams per conference.
I think the two 1's and the two 2's get home ice in the first round vs. the two 3's and the 2 WC's.

Supposedly, the NHLPA are more on-board with this.
Detroit and Columbus (both in Eastern time zone), are much happier with fewer west coast trips.

Some tweaks may occur over next few years, if Phoenix moves, and teams pop up in Quebec, Hamilton, Seattle, KC, etc....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
A revised 4-division alignment is going to be submitted for approval for 2013-14:

Atlantic: NYR, NYI, NJD, Phil, Pit, COLUMBUS, WASHINGTON, CAROLINA (8)

Northeast (or will it be "East" ?): Mtl, Ott, Tor, DETROIT, Bos, Buff, TAMPA BAY, FLORIDA (8)

Central: Nash, Chi, St.L, WINNIPEG, MINNESOTA, DALLAS, COLORADO (7)

Pacific (or will it be "West" ?): CALGARY, EDMONTON, VANCOUVER, SJ, LA, Anaheim, Phx (7)

In the new format, you will play every team in the opposite conference Home and Away.

Playoffs: 1,2,3 from each division + 2 wild cards from each conference = 8 teams per conference.
I think the two 1's and the two 2's get home ice in the first round vs. the two 3's and the 2 WC's.

Supposedly, the NHLPA are more on-board with this.
Detroit and Columbus (both in Eastern time zone), are much happier with fewer west coast trips.

Some tweaks may occur over next few years, if Phoenix moves, and teams pop up in Quebec, Hamilton, Seattle, KC, etc....

Is it official yet? And I still believe that it needs two more teams (expansion or returning) to perfectly shape things up. Having all 4 "proposed conferences" consisting of 8 teams each, and possibly sub-divided into 2 sections of 4 teams within each conference.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Not official yet. But word is that the parties that were P.O.'ed at the previous version got to have input into this.

So it's expected to be voted on (I think in the next few weeks).
It has to be ratified by a certain percentage of team owners, and also by the NHLPA.

I don't know if there is mcuh support for expansion.
Expansion will typically happen when there are parties out there with deep pockets willing to pay an entry fee.

We may have a potential ownership group in Seattle, who are trying to construct a new arena (based on acquiring the Sacramento Kings).
Quebec always had rabid fan support.
A lot of players didn't want to go there for two reasons:
1. When the Nordiques were there, the players were paid in Candaian dollars which were wort about $0.70 at that time. That has changed.
2. Quite a few players didn't want to deal with a fan base that seemed to strongly favor French-speakers.
KC spent a pile of money on the Sprint Center, and has neither the NBA or NHL to show for it. About 5 years ago, they were bidding on the Penguins to move to KC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next