It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:25 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Future for the NHL
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:39 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Testing the waters here, folks.

Who knows or has thoughts concerning ths future of the NHL with regard to any/all of the following;

1) Contraction/ relocation - Is the Sabre's franchise secure and staying in Buffalo (I hope)? What about Ottowa?

2) Prospects for dwindling TV funding and impacts of economic downturn.

3) The health of Canadian franchises.

Former coworker of mine helped broaden my appreciation of the game, particularly of NHL management. We'd grown concerned that the more franchises that are allowed to move from/die in Canada, the economics of the league become more and more unmanageable. Particularly as salaries are adjusted to US-pro sports levels, the Canadian teams can't truly compete financially.

"If I were king..." I'd take away the teams in Florida, Pheonix and Nashville, then restore the Nordiques and Jets. A cap system would be implemented based upon a funcitonal average for Canadian teams. US owners would complain about not being able to spend more to attract top players; swallow the profit or lower your ticket prices.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:44 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

I really think the NHL is going to face a serious problem when the WHA begins in 2004. I would not be suprised at all to see both of these leagues fight to the death leaving the one standing to inherit one serious problem in terms of interest in a fledging sport. In the ned I think the NHL will overcome the threat of the WHA but will have only 18-22 members and will scrap much of it's minor league system.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:37 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I thought the wha is a defunct league of the 70's please tell they are coming back. Because that means USFL and WFL can make a comeback.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:39 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I heard the WHA rumors as well, but have not found anything conclusive. Time to start digging. Interesting to note that talks of that league have risen as the NHL is near the time for a new labor relations agreement!

Tough to start a new league these day, though, as many markets have their primary arenas and broadcasts rights sewn up by existing franchises. Especially as revenues have become tied to so colsely to ownership/lease conditions of the areans, I wonder how any new league could survive.

I do think that the minor league system should be revisited, and that the NHL needs to lose a couple teams. However, I find myself more biased over who should be dropped in the NHL than I am with MLB! Don't know why, just am.

The off-season signings have been interesting, though. Glad to see the Thrashers kept Slava Koslov, unlike Don Audette a year ago. Anyone else think the Avs currently the team to beat next year?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:51 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

www.worldhockeyassociation.net

...join the revolution, it's yours for the taking.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Interesting. Thanks for the link OwlAlum. I couldn't get it to pull up anything under the "Teams" tab. Curious to see how they pull it together. Interesting contrast, though. The original WHA came about largely through free agency and large salaries, whereis this one is banking on the salary cap structure to maintain fiscal responsibility. What's more, they'll need TV help to compete with the NHL and likely need some big markets, offering either a direct competition with the NHL or furthering the folly of tailoring the game to the whims of TV people, not hockey fans.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:32 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The dominator is back, an underperforming Federov gone, improved and healthy defense, still 4 good lines, Yzerman as leader, and Joseph looks to be traded for another good center....

Hockeytown reigns again...
Where's my Molson?

:)

Last edited by javaman on Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Javaman, ESPN.com and others reporting Joseph simply to be waived. Wings might save the money for a year rather than sign someone going into the next CBA. Will the Dominator be as good or will Mr. Hasek look average due to the layoff? I expect some rust may cost him early in the season; The West is still the toughest place to play and playoff seeding could be at stake... as usual.

Kind of sorry to hear Lemieux is going to play again. Can't see him moving to a better team, and Pittsburgh appears bad enough that he'll simply be banged up. Still, that's a franchise that deserves better. Not exactly the Canadiens, but they've been a part of hockey since I've watched.

- - - - - - -

This WHA thing has me wondering all sorts of stuff. Do we really want competing sports leagues? Isn't it bad enough when one league looks watered down that we shouldn't even broach the topic of a second league?! And what about the farm systems/minor league affiliations? Despite the presence of more media and the idea that more people want to be a part of pro sports, there's also the notion that with pro sports people want success. The first WHA champion will be talked about like "Yeah but could they compete with the Avs or Stars?"

Surely we don't want to see the death of historic franchises like the Maple Leafs or Red Wings, do we? So as a hockey fan the best hope should be that the WHA turns out to be someone else paying to costs for experimenting so that the NHL can learn/relearn some of the things it needs to do remain a successful entity. Like returning the sport to deserving Canadien cities, fiscal management, etc.

The WHA web site referenced the leagues penchant for more aggressive play (read: fighting) and loose laws on stick curvature. How would this compare with international rules, and are we sure that people need more fighting? In an age where you have ready access to Ultimate Fighting Championships and their own violent video games, I wonder if the appeal of brawls on ice has slimmed down. Then again, it's hockey, and everyone will pound the glass when the fights break out. Not the kind of league a Gretsky wants to be a part of, I imagine.

I just don't know what to think, so maybe someone else will help me out; Do we have a place for competing sports leagues, and why for hockey/why not for other sports?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:39 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

The "New WHA" wil begin play during the NHL work stoppage next year. This will make it a competitive league to the NHL, yet the league will really not be playing. The next NHL Col Bar Agreement is supposed take almost a year to work out, thus an entire season may be lost instead of half of one. The New WHA will focus on the following things, making it a new hockey league that has everything which the old NHL had:

-Salary caps for every team with 1 marque player exception per team.

-The blue line may be taken away which means no trap and absolutely more goals, like the way it should be.

-This league will be heavily marketed to the Northeast, and Canadiens fans. Hotbeds like Minnesota, Toronto, Buffalo, etc will be paired with retirement market franchises in PHX, and ORL.

-The team identifies it's need to expand, but instead of expanding further south after the first year, it will expand to Europe when it adds 6 teams for the 2nd WHA season.

Anyway, all of this will be interesting. If the people who own the new WHA hire the right marketing people who take the right marketing ploys, this league may just end up beating the NHL. I have read some sources that a few former NHL playersa besides Bobby Hull have said they support the new league because the current NHl is a disgrace. Everything will be very interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:00 am 
All-Star
All-Star

owlalum you da man I love alternative to the nhl, nba, mls, mlb and the most part the no fun league and there stupid rules. I had to vent i think the nfl is a nazi league that needs there anti-trust exemption revolked.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:51 am 
The comment about the NFL ("a nazi league that needs there anti-trust exemption revolked") is hilarious for several reasons.

First, the NFL does not have an anti-trust exemption; that distinction only applies to Major League Baseball, and ironically enough, they still don't know what the hell they are doing.

Second, if the NFL had an anti-trust exemption it would be "theirs" and not "theres."

Third, the comment about a "Nazi league" needing to have its (non-existent) anti-trust exemption "revolked" makes for a delicious pun, even to someone who has never taken a German class.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:57 am 
As I recall, during the 1994-1995 "lockout" the International Hockey League, which was certifiably a minor league of the NHL had certain owners of its "independent" franchises (e.g. William Davidson of Detroit) who advocated that the appropriate IHL clubs, such as Chicago, Detroit, and others, take full advantage of the labor dispute by signing away NHL players. However, the only player that I can remember ever signing was Kevin Hatcher with the Detroit Vipers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:41 pm 
Junior
Junior

Publius... I laughed out loud reading your first post.

My two cents...
Surely the NHL and the NHLPA understand what they have to lose by another 40 game season because of Labor issues.

If MLB can keep from a work stoppage... anyone can.

Hey... Didn't some of the current NHL teams come from the old WHA? The Oilers come to mind... Anyone know?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
The comment about the NFL ("a nazi league that needs there anti-trust exemption revolked") is hilarious for several reasons.

First, the NFL does not have an anti-trust exemption; that distinction only applies to Major League Baseball, and ironically enough, they still don't know what the hell they are doing.

Second, if the NFL had an anti-trust exemption it would be "theirs" and not "theres."

Third, the comment about a "Nazi league" needing to have its (non-existent) anti-trust exemption "revolked" makes for a delicious pun, even to someone who has never taken a German class.

Yes they ares a nazi league and yes theys have an anti-trust exemption. yes i know german because i lived there for 5 years. so what is your point its my opinion and i'm sticking to it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:05 pm 
Please, elaborate on the NFL's anti-trust exemption by providing us with a link to that affect.