NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:55 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: NHL Realignment News
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:07 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

One of the general issues of sports franchise locations is how many teams can one fan base and one city support.

Columbus instead of Cleveland makes sense, because Columbus had zero pro franchises.

Putting the team in Cleveland puts a fourth franchise for 2.1 million people to support. They'd be taking dollars from the Browns, Indians and Cavs (or more likely, not taking dollars and struggling).

Columbus has 1.8 million people, and no pro sports teams. Plus they can draw fans from Cincinnati and Dayton (3.1 million people) a lot easier than Cleveland can draw from the 2.1 from Columbus.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:45 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

JPSchmack wrote:
One of the general issues of sports franchise locations is how many teams can one fan base and one city support.

Columbus instead of Cleveland makes sense, because Columbus had zero pro franchises.

Putting the team in Cleveland puts a fourth franchise for 2.1 million people to support. They'd be taking dollars from the Browns, Indians and Cavs (or more likely, not taking dollars and struggling).

Columbus has 1.8 million people, and no pro sports teams. Plus they can draw fans from Cincinnati and Dayton (3.1 million people) a lot easier than Cleveland can draw from the 2.1 from Columbus.

It's a good example of a Pro-version of the "Marketing Impact" piece I wrote regarding school name changes.

There is and probably will only be (1) NBA team in Ohio. The Cleveland Cavaliers changing their name to "Ohio" would include the entire state...and make the western Ohio natives more likely to be stronger fans of a franchise versus pulling for "Cleveland".

When the NHL expanded to Columbus, it made even more sense. Ohio went that long without the NHL and the city that got the team was the capital. But of course, the city takes a selfish approach and goes with "Columbus" rather than "Ohio".

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:30 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

So, how do you realign a 29-team league?
Should the NHL expand to replace the Coyotes?

I post this because I just discovered the NHL Constitution states that membership shall "terminate automatically" if a team files for bankruptcy. That means the Coyotes NHL membership terminated automatically (even though no party has mentioned this).

I think you have to expand, because making a schedule for 29 teams is ridiculously hard.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN article with speculation regarding possible future NHL realignment at http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview20 ... id=4496992

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:45 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:
ESPN article with speculation regarding possible future NHL realignment at http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview20 ... id=4496992

That's not an article about possible future realignment! none of those are realistic/less than crazy.

The one that actually makes the most sense is Buccigross' expansion. Because contraction/Europe ain't happening anytime soon.

Instead of 40, what about going to 36?

Northwest: CAL, EDM, VAN, Seattle, MIN, Winnipeg
Pacific: LA, ANA, SJ, PHX, COL, Las Vegas
Central: CHI, DET, STL, DAL, Houston, Kansas City
Northeast: TOR, OTT, MON, BUF, BOS, Hamilton
Atlantic: NYR, NYI, NJ, PHI, PIT, CBJ
Southeast: CAR, ATL, TB, FLA, WAS, NASH

Six vs your division
Three vs your conference
one vs everyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Not sure that Phoenix isn't a viable franchise. My understanding is that their ownership made some terrible deals to price themselves out of the market.

The America West arena downtoen (home of the Suns, probably now called USAIR or something) was not really designed for a 200 foot long hockey rink.

However, Glendale is way up Northwest of town (also site of the Cardinals stadium). Is that central to the hockey fan base ? I don't know. It is a high growth part of town, near the interstate, but rather inconvenient if you live south around Tempe or Mesa.... So the 'Yotes got a real HOCKEY arena, but negotiated a terrible deal to where they feel the need to gouge people on tickets and concessions, etc, and still are $30 million / year in the hole. Not sure the low attendance proves that Phoenix is a lousy hockey market, or that the team is not fan-friendly and had to declare bankrupcy to break a terrible lease deal.

I am curious why the Kansas City contingent seems to have remained on the sidelines. Did they not build a new "Sprint Center" and try to lure the Penguins to move 2 years ago ? A Phoenix to KC move would not cause the League headaches such as infringing on another team's territory or forcing a realignment. Just saying.... what happened to thos einvestors in KC ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:43 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tute79 wrote:
Not sure that Phoenix isn't a viable franchise. My understanding is that their ownership made some terrible deals to price themselves out of the market.

The America West arena downtoen (home of the Suns, probably now called USAIR or something) was not really designed for a 200 foot long hockey rink.

However, Glendale is way up Northwest of town (also site of the Cardinals stadium). Is that central to the hockey fan base ? I don't know. It is a high growth part of town, near the interstate, but rather inconvenient if you live south around Tempe or Mesa.... So the 'Yotes got a real HOCKEY arena, but negotiated a terrible deal to where they feel the need to gouge people on tickets and concessions, etc, and still are $30 million / year in the hole. Not sure the low attendance proves that Phoenix is a lousy hockey market, or that the team is not fan-friendly and had to declare bankrupcy to break a terrible lease deal.

I am curious why the Kansas City contingent seems to have remained on the sidelines. Did they not build a new "Sprint Center" and try to lure the Penguins to move 2 years ago ? A Phoenix to KC move would not cause the League headaches such as infringing on another team's territory or forcing a realignment. Just saying.... what happened to thos einvestors in KC ?

I think KC is looking for an owner to move their team there. They don't have an ownership group lined up. The company that built the arena, AEG, cannot own a team because they are owned by the same guy who owns the Kings and the AEG CEO is the President of the Kings.

They are operating an arena, and making a profit. Their goal is to give a rent-free lease to someone's team, and make money on the 550,000 people coming through the doors via concessions and beer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:47 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tarkiokid wrote:
Or, to rework a 6-division NHL with NYI to KC and PHX to Hamilton:

Version 1:
Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division

Boston Bruins
New Jersey Devils
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Washington Capitals
Northeast Division
Buffalo Sabres
Hamilton Spartans (former Coyotes)
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Southeast Division
Atlanta Thrashers
Carolina Hurricanes
Florida Panthers
Nashville Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning

Western Conference
Central Division

Chicago Blackhawks
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Pittsburgh Penguins
St. Louis Blues
Northwest Division
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
Minnesota Wild
Vancouver Canucks
Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks
Dallas Stars
Kansas City Wranglers (formerly Islanders)
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks

Version 2:
Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division

Boston Bruins
New Jersey Devils
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Washington Capitals
Northeast Division
Buffalo Sabres
Hamilton Spartans (former Coyotes)
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Southeast Division
Atlanta Thrashers
Carolina Hurricanes
Florida Panthers
Nashville Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning

Western Conference
Central Division

Chicago Blackhawks
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Minnesota Wild
Pittsburgh Penguins
Northwest Division
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
San Jose Sharks
Vancouver Canucks
Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks
Dallas Stars
Kansas City Wranglers (formerly Islanders)
Los Angeles Kings
St. Louis Blues

I realize you don't really want to split San Jose from their Cali brethren, but it also makes less sense to keep St. Louis and Kansas City apart after uniting Pittsburgh and Columbus.

Once the NHL is all set with the Phx and KC issues, i think a simple move could make things smoother:

Pitt to the WC Central (with Chi, Det, StL, Columbus, Pitt)
Washington to the EC East (NYR, NYI, NJ, Phil, Washington)
Nashville to EC South (Carolina, Nashville, FLA, TB, ATL)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:42 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The odds of the Islanders moving away from the NY metro area are slim.

Their lease is up in after 2016 at NVMC in Nassau County.
They're working on a real estate development deal which includes a new arena. The reason they are horrendous on the ledger sheet is because their 30-year lease made them slaves to their arena management company.

They have a MASSIVE TV contract which runs through 2032. They move to KC/Winnipeg/Hamilton/etc, they lose that. They'd be looking at a TV deal half the size in Hamilton and 1/6th the size in KC.

(I know what you're thinking: Hockey-crazed Southern Ontario and the Hockey night in Canada contract could match a NYC hockey contract. But they got their deal not from the value of their hockey programming, but because of a fortuitous clause in their TV contract signed with SportsChannel in the 80s, allowing them an ownership stake in the cable company at the end of the contract. SC gave that clause easily because they were a small operation and the stake wasn't much money. Fast forward 20 years the contract is up for renewal and SportsChannel had been bought out a decade earlier. The clause now entitled the Islanders to a 18.5% share of Cablevision, which is quite massive. So Cablevision had to buy out the clause with their current massive deal that gives them $20 million now, escalating up to $32 million by 2032).

So, the Islanders will do everything in their power to stay in the NY area.

Their owner has the rights to develop the land their arena is on now, and he's doing everything he can to push the project through. The threats of leaving were simply for leverage to get politicians to act.

Plan B & Plan C are neighboring NY areas.
The Willets Point area in Queens is going to develop the land next to the Mets stadium and their politicians have already said they'd welcome the Islanders in an arena built there.

A developer is close to breaking ground on a new arena in Brooklyn for the New Jersey Nets, and just today he issued a report saying he would love to share the building with the Islanders.

Basically, for the Islanders to leave the NY area, THREE counties/boroughs would have to royally screw up real estate deals that are already being planned, AND no one else would have to step up. AND the Islanders would have to fail in/not attempt negotiations for a short-term lease in their current building; all of which are more profitable than moving.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

As reported earlier today, the Atlanta Thrashers will be moving to Winnipeg this fall. No realignment for this year, but I assume that for 2012-13 Winnipeg will be moved to the Western Conference. Most likely the Northwest Division, moving Minnesota to the Central Division. One of three of Detroit, Nashville, and Columbus to the Eastern Conference. I don't see the NHL breaking up Detroit and Chicago, so perhaps Nashville to the Southeast Division is the most feasible option.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Congratulations to Winnepeg, who I thought supported the Jets pretty well, despite being a very small market.

The NHL Board of Governors will meet on June 21 to vote on the relocation, which I think will be rubber-stamped.

Team name - I assume the Phoenix Coyotes still own the name "Winnepeg Jets".
They could be good sports and relinquish that name...
(the Baltimore Ravens gave up "Cleveland Browns"; the Minnesota Twins gave up "Washington Senators", I wish Utah would give "Jazz" back to New Orleans)
Don't know what "Jets" has to do with Winnepeg, other than when they started up in the WHA, their marquis player was Bobby "the Golden Jet" Hull...
If anyone knows otherwise, please share.

Not clear on the timing of realignment....
I don't think the 2011-2012 schedules are out, so maybe they can agree on something for this year...

Atlanta (SE) move to Winnepeg (fits better in NW).

Likely possibilities:
Minnesota (NW) to Central; Nashville (Central) to SE.
OR
Colorado (NW) to SW; Dallas (SW to Central); Nashville (Central) to SE.
In either scenario, I think hte affected tems would be happier in their new divisions.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:11 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6706113

So despite the ease in realignment with Winnipeg added to the mix (simple plan would be to move Nashville from Central to Southeast, Minnesota from their tough spot to the central, and Winnepeg to the northwest to be with Edmonton and Calgary), the NHL looks to be going more drastic.

Reason?

Central teams want in the east. Who, don't know. How many? Only room for a couple. My money would be on Detroit and Chicago pressuring...but no way they would get in over Columbus in nearby Ohio. Maybe even Nashville due to the Florida and Carolina teams...Nashville would have to be sold on benefits of being associated with Dallas.

So it look like there will now be (4) divisions with 8 or 7 members.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:35 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6706113

So despite the ease in realignment with Winnipeg added to the mix (simple plan would be to move Nashville from Central to Southeast, Minnesota from their tough spot to the central, and Winnepeg to the northwest to be with Edmonton and Calgary), the NHL looks to be going more drastic.

Reason?

Central teams want in the east. Who, don't know. How many? Only room for a couple. My money would be on Detroit and Chicago pressuring...but no way they would get in over Columbus in nearby Ohio. Maybe even Nashville due to the Florida and Carolina teams...Nashville would have to be sold on benefits of being associated with Dallas.

So it look like there will now be (4) divisions with 8 or 7 members.

I've been reading that they want to realign based on timezones which works fairly well surprisingly enough.

There are 8 teams in the Western and Mountain timezones, simple enough.

There are 6 in the Central timezone (sorry Chicago, so close). That means one eastern timezone team has to go west. I assume Columbus will stay west and Detroit will go east.

The East would break down North/South I assume. The 4 remaining SE plus the 5 from the Atlantic puts them at 9. The 5 from the NE plus Detroit puts 6 in the North. So either one or two teams would move to the North. Either Pitt could go north or the two NY teams go North. My pick is the two NY teams.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:36 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Pacific - LA, ANA, SJ, VAN, PHX
Central - CO, EDM, CGY, DAL, WIN
Midwest - STL, MN, NSH, CBJ, CHI

Northeast - TOR, DET, OTT, BUF, PIT
Southeast - PHI, WAS, CAR, FLA, TB
Atlantic - NYI, NYR, NJ, BOS, MON

Other than the thought of Philadelphia being in the "Southeast" and Nashville being in the "Midwest", this would work pretty well. Unfortunately someone has to be the loser out of Winnipeg/Minnesota/St. Louis/Nashville when it comes to breaking down the Central and Midwest Divisions.

If the NHL insisted on 4 divisions:

Pacific - LA, ANA, SJ, VAN, PHX, CGY, EDM, CO
Central - DAL, WIN, STL, MN, NSH, CBJ, CHI

Atlantic - FL, TB, CAR, WAS, PHI, NJ, NYI, NYR
Northeast - TOR, OTT, DET, BUF, PIT, MON, BOS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So Winnepeg will be the Jets once more.

Bettman is thinking 8 + 7 & 8 + 7

west is clear: PHO, COLO, ANA, LA, SJ, VAN, CAL, EDM = 8
Dallas had been most vociferous about getting out of the western trips, they will be much happier.

The rest is muddled. Bettman hinted at soething like Mid-west, South, and East, I thought.
I think it's got to be more like: Central time zone (sort of), Southeast, and Northeast.

I was thinking take the 3 NYC teams (NYR, NYI, NJD) and put them with the current Northeast
BOS, BUF, TOR, OTT, MTL = 8

Midwest is: DAL, STL, CHI, DET, MIN, WIN, and (Columbus or Nashville) = 7
I'll say CLB, since Nashville keeps the Florida 2 and Carolina company in the Southeast.
Detroit and Columbus have said they want to be in the East.
I think this may be acceptable to them, IF the schedule re-do reduces the west coast trips substantially.

Then SE is TB, FLA, NASH, CAR, WASH, PIT, PHL.

Another goal was to have a balanced schedule.
I don't get how you get 7x_ + 7x_ + 15x(2?) = 6x_ + 8x_ + 15x(2?).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next