NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:50 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:34 am 
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/births/2003/nov/11/515844428.html

Columnist Ron Kantowski: MWC expansion committee tuned in to TCU
Ron Kantowski is a Las Vegas Sun sports writer. Reach him at ron@lasvegassun.com or (702) 259-4088.

•••

It has become increasingly clear that it's not what a school brings to the table that interests the Mountain West Conference when it comes to expansion.

It's what it brings to the center rack of the entertainment center.

That's why TCU, its outstanding defense, BCS aspirations and cool nickname aside, has moved to the top of the MWC's short list. It's all those TV sets in the Dallas-Fort Worth market that make it so attractive.

According to a report in the Salt Lake City Deseret News, Dallas-Fort Worth is the nation's fifth-largest television market, easily surpassing San Diego, currently the MWC's top market at No. 26.

That the Horned Frogs play pretty good football and that their inclusion would result in a balanced schedule is just a bonus. All those remote controls would help the MWC in future TV negotiations, which basically explains how the Big 8 evolved into the Big 12, and why the ACC won't be receiving a Christmas card from the Big East.

Directly or indirectly, money is the driving force behind all this moving and shaking that has become commonplace in the college conferences.

Collegesportsinfo.com, an Internet website devoted to the inexact science of predicting the future landscape of NCAA Division I, lists TCU as the only "likely" new MWC member, with Fresno State, Boise State, Hawaii and Nevada-Reno listed as "possible," especially in the long shot the MWC expands to 12 teams (which would enable it to hold a football championship game).

But none of those media markets compare to TCU's. Fresno is No. 57, Hawaii No. 71, Reno No. 114 and Boise a distant No. 124. The Broncos may have a heck of a football team, but you need rabbit ears to see it.

According to Collegesportsinfo.com, the MWC could also look at UTEP, not because the Miners would enhance the conference's BCS bowl viability or that it would provide New Mexico with a geographical rival, but that the UTEP football team, as lame as it is, averages nearly 60,000 paying customers at the spacious Sun Bowl.

Still, TCU's TV sets might be hard to resist, if, in fact, it is interested in leaving Conference USA, which seems to be falling apart like an old Buick.

Being in the minority that would like the see the Mountain West remain a cozy eight-team league, I would point out that TCU once played alongside the the MWC teams when all were members of the sprawling 16-team Western Athletic Conference.

With the exception of those who marveled at Billy Tubbs' comb-over or his colorful language, nobody seem to miss TCU when the Disenchanted 8 decided to secede from the WAC.

It's not as if those TV sets in the Dallas metroplex didn't exist back then. It's just that most of them were tuned to the Texas-Oklahoma game.

Somehow, I don't see that changing.

Last edited by footballgodaway on Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:23 am 
Junior
Junior

kingcal, CONGRATULATIONS for modertaing a site that is looked to by publications for trends in college football. I have always enjoyed reading and infrequently posting to this site, and I think it shows the value of the marketplace of ideas (sorry -- i'm in business school. i couldn't pass this up).

That said, what is the Las Vegas Sun doing trolling our site for information? The news blackout from the MWC must be pretty much 100% if a writer from Vegas can't get any more accurate information from the AD at UNLV...

But hey, I'll take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:12 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:R2HtZ-N6DyMJ:www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle1.shtml

Jackrabbits patiently waiting for conference bid
Chris Solari
Argus Leader

published: 6/6/2004

Shake-ups across the nation could eventually open a place for SDSU

As the domino effect among Division I college conferences around the country continues, South Dakota State remains patient and confident that its purgatory will soon be lifted.

Such is the case when you're the new kid on Division I's block.

It's been about a year since the Atlantic Coast Conference-Big East shakeup caused chaos among athletic alliances. As some of the mid-major conferences begin to pluck schools from lesser leagues, SDSU remains that kid in the corner at the dance scanning the room for an available partner.

"I think it's hard for the public to understand," SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien said. "The conferences are not meeting on expansion daily. They go about it periodically. It just takes time."

SDSU and North Dakota State will officially be recognized as Division I universities on July 1. However, less than a month before that date, the bulk of the Jackrabbits' sports appear headed toward independent status for this coming fall.

SDSU has a conference for football. The Jacks are charter members of the six-team Great West Football Conference, along with former NCC rivals NDSU and Northern Colorado. But SDSU's other 19 sports, including the highly successful basketball programs, remain without a league.

SDSU and NDSU approached the Big Sky Conference about membership last year, but were essentially turned away and told to look elsewhere. While the Big Sky is still a possibility, other possible homes include the Mid-Continent Conference, the Horizon League and the Missouri Valley Conference, which remains a long shot.

"There isn't a way to predict what is going to happen," said Jack Mehl, athletic director at Oakland University, a Division I school in Michigan that belongs to the Mid-Continent. "I think a lot of conferences are pausing at this moment to wait and see what the next big shark is going to do."

Matt Peloquin owns a Web site (www.collegesportsinfo.com) that is predominantly devoted to tracking the shuffling within college leagues. He calls the situation SDSU and NDSU face "unique."

He said having the Great West league in place helps considerably, although if the Big Sky comes calling SDSU would end its association with the new football conference.

"Life is a lot easier when you're just looking for basketball," Peloquin said. "It opens up your options."

SDSU has no timetable as to when it might be offered a spot in a league - although the school hopes it comes before Sept. 1, a deadline established by the South Dakota Board of Regents for finding a conference.

Conference expansion is not an exact science. University presidents typically have conference calls to trade information on schools they plan to woo or invite, then work within the structure of their league by-laws to add the right institutions.

At the same time, SDSU has to sell itself to the leagues.

"It's exactly where it has been," Oien said about SDSU's conference aspirations.

SDSU is not alone in its search. Both Northern Colorado and NDSU are also seeking new homes after leaving Division II and the North Central Conference. In some ways, SDSU is competing against those old friends, even though the two Dakota schools have tried to approach leagues as a package deal.

"It would be nice if the Big Sky would just look at their membership issues and say, 'We can bring a little stability to ourselves by increasing by two,' " Peloquin said.

One potential roadblock for SDSU's hopes of get into the Big Sky was cleared late this week.

The eight-school league had reportedly been salivating at the chance to have the University of Idaho back in the league if the Vandals returned to Division I-AA in football. However, Idaho accepted an invitation Friday to join the Western Athletic Conference, which plays Division I-A football, for the 2005-06 season.

The Big Sky's official position is listed on its Web site: "At this time, the Big Sky Conference is not looking to add an additional member. Its membership is satisfied that having an even-numbered membership is better for scheduling purposes. However, the world of collegiate athletics is always changing - more so out in the West - and so Conference leaders 'never say never,' but NCAA Championship ramifications have made it more difficult for a Division I conference to add institutions moving from Division II."

SDSU and NDSU will not be eligible for Division I postseason competition until 2008-09, when they will complete the process of reclassification.

Idaho is currently a member of the I-A mostly Southeast-based Sunbelt Conference for football - not exactly the type of geographical fit that a school desires. The decision to join the WAC shows the school is confident it will satisfy any potential I-A requirements.

"Idaho fits geographically," University of Nevada President John Lilley told the Reno Gazette-Journal. "It fits in terms of the mission of the university. It is a research and land-grant institution."

These are the same reasons SDSU have given the schools in the Big Sky as to why it should be invited to join their ranks.

"Obviously, it's not our decision whether (conferences) will expand and what their criteria will be," Oien said. "Our part is to explain the positives we can bring to a conference."

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

Last edited by Quinn on Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:24 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Haven't looked around for mentions in quite a long time, but I noticed alot of site traffic coming from CM Life. Looks like they linked to CollegesportsInfo.com in their CMU coach Search Article:

http://www.cm-life.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/05/17/446ab0203452c

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn, looks like your recent lacrosse blog piece was referenced by another blogger at http://mvn.com/ncaa-massachusetts/2008/06/10/lacrosse-shakeup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:51 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

It's been a long time since I updated this thread, but I got an email from our old pal Jack Styczynski about his linking to CollegeSportsInfo.com.

Jack's NY Times article on college coaching changes:
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0 ... ing-moves/

And his linking to this site at http://hotsheet.50webs.com/sports.htm
"Fans' Choice" site of the week: College Sports Info

I thought this thread would be a good place to thank him and promote his sites.

Thanks again Jack, and we hope to see you on these forums.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn,looks like your recent piece on Big West expansion drew a mention in OC Register column at http://www.ocregister.com/sports/west-2 ... state.html