NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:30 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:39 pm 
Heck, why not! I am Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist/Professor, and have worked many years for a Division II University, but not directly in the sports area. I live in town home to a Big Ten University. On the other hand, my roots are southern, and have undergraduate and graduate education from the University of South Carolina, Missississippi State University, the University of Georgia (thus, an SEC fan of course), and Georgia Southern University. OK, the professional student thing, but I did finish wherever I went, and stuck with higher education as a career.

I suppose I am intrigued by realignment in college athletics. The politics of it all is fascinating. I tend to support more regional, neighboring rivalries, and would advocate for twelve team conferences as a standard. But, I accept things don't necessarily fit comprehensively into an uniform and equitable package.

I visit various other sports sites from time to time. I like this one based on the content and respectability of much of the postings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:06 pm 
Junior
Junior

I'm an infrequent poster to this board with little inside information, but I still prefer it to any other board out there. I attended Princeton University and worked in the SID office in 1989-1990, and am now at USC business school, where I and my long-time girlfriend are academic advisors for the USC football team. I was born in Pittsburgh and have also lived in Washington DC and Charlottesville, VA, so I follow Pitt, USC, Princeton and UVa quite closely.

College football is by far the best sport, and I am endlessly entertained with the prospects of conference alignment as conferences try to get it right. TRY.

I am most interested in what the MWC will do, and whether it will ever be a competitive league for the Pac Ten to test its strength.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:01 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Here’s my story…

My member name does not reflect for whom I root for. I have been in the computer profession all of my adult life and my wife has two cats, for which I set up an e-mail account as a joke a number of years ago. I still log into the cybercat e-mail account every once in a while to see all the spam they have gotten. ::)

I have a math degree from the University of Illinois. While in Champaign-Urbana, we speculated about Penn State and Nebraska being the leading candidates to join the Big Ten. Reflecting back, I don’t ever recall Notre Dame being mentioned…

I have also lived in Northern and Southern California, New Jersey, and Georgia. My daughters went / go to St. Mary's of Indiana (located in Notre Dame, IN) and Boston College. So besides the Illini, I root for many of the teams in the surrounding areas that I have lived (Stanford, California, Southern California, Rutgers, Penn State, Georgia, Georgia Tech) and schools where my daughters have / had season football tickets (BC and ND). ND is also on my most hated list. ;)

I like this board because 1) for the most part the posters keep to the facts, state opinions as opinions, and don’t talk smack and 2) there is a diverse set of members and views on conference realignment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:22 am 
Senior
Senior

I have done this before on an erlier board, but here I go again. I grew up in east TN listening to John Ward,"the voice of the Vols," but graduated from TN Tech Univ.

TN, and the whole SEC are stable, so my interest in realignment is that of a spectator with no axe to grid. Well, actually I do have one axe to grid. ETSU, who used to play TnTU, recently gave up football. Anyone who has paid attention know that the real blame is Title IX. In fact, most of the financial problems in college sports can be traced to how Title IX is currently enforced.

I am not saying that I want to abolish women's sports. There is plenty of room for both men's and women's sports. However, you "should not bind the mouth of the ox...." You can take that proverb as gospel truth! ;) (One guess where I got it.) I want football exempted. Have the same number of schlorships for all men's and women's sports except football.

Please note. When the small schools keep demanding access, what they mean is money. Why do they need so much money? Title IX. If football were exempted from Title IX, a modified BCS would be ok, and a playoff could be affordable.

FBfan

p.s. To avoid this thread getting off the subject. Please address any comments to the Dream thread.

Last edited by fbfan on Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

...and for those unfamiliar with moi:

Born in central NY state but raised just north of Atlanta, GA. Constant visits and contact with the northeast helped keep me a yankee, as did fending off a southern accent. :D

Visited numerous colleges but chose GT, where I recieved an undergrad in Architorture and Master's in City Planning. Fan of both Tech and UGA growing up (allowed since my parents were "furiners to these here parts" ), but experiencing college firsthand made me see the light. I was there for Tech's co-national title in football and the Final Four in Denver. (Yes, I know Kenny Anderson's shot came after the buzzer. ;)) Most importantly, I traveled for ACC basketball and also experienced Tech's struggles in football before Bobby Ross' success. Thus, I root for the Yellow Jacket teams, win or lose, because I love the school.

Other random notes:
- Played, coached, watched and loved soccer since age 4. (Well, I wasn't coaching at 4...) My favorite team is Arsenal (hence my, moniker), the blue collar boys from north London. Adopted them as a kid while my grandfather was trying to steer me towards Celtic of Glascow. (My family roots for the Giants, so I had to root for the Jets. That kind of thing)

- Married to my best friend (Hi, Love!). We have one spirited 3yo daughter and are expecting one more child come August.

- I'm am a child of the 70's and 80's. Real Genius is highly underrated, IMO.

- Celebrity connection: During their heyday, my family was close to KC and the Sunshine Band, via their producer who lived next door. Harry Wayne "Casey," had quite the collection of exotic birds at his Florida home, including one parakeet who stained my jacket.

- I love Rush (seen 6 times), Doonesbury and Get Fuzzy, mountains and streams (No mountains where we live, sadly) and small cities with unique eateries. I can still laugh hysterically at AFV, and read a lot of news in good old-fashioned print.

- I love this board for it's high calibre of discussion and debate. "Keep it clean, boys, and stay above the belt"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:27 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I am a senior at the University of Maryland, so it should be obvious where my allegiances lie. We are in the process of assembling the best coaches in the country: Gary Williams in basketball, Ralph Friedgen in football, the Sasho and Shannon Higgins Cirovski in soccer, Dave Cottle in men's lacrosse, Cindy Timchal in women's lacrosse, and, last year, Brenda Frese in women's basketball. I am an economics major and considering most economics jobs are in the federal government or in related companies, I will probably still be living in the Washington area and attend Maryland football and basketball games, if I can get tickets.

I am also a fan of Syracuse, as I was born there and my dad went to grad school there. I also lived in Connecticut for a while, and I used to like UConn before Jim Calhoun officially entered the pantheon of shady basketball coaches with the recruitment of Rudy Gay.

I have lukewarm support for other schools. I am a big fan of the option and running games, so I like Navy, Air Force and Nebraska. I also like UConn football, despite what I said about Jim Calhoun above. Finally, Wake Forest fans are the nicest in the ACC and their football and basketball coaches are good, respectable men.

I hate Notre Dame because they think they are high and mighty; Penn State because they think they are high and mighty; Virginia and West Virginia because they are Maryland's rivals (according to the game NCAA 2004 College Football); Florida State because Maryland has yet to beat them in football; Missouri because they are pretenders; Duke, but only in basketball, because they are too pitiful in football; North Carolina State, because they think they are the hottest thing since hot coals even though they finish in fourth place every year; and North Carolina because my cousin in Massachusetts has UNC gear, and they wear baby blue, and they are arrogant.

I am interested in conference realignment because I have a logistical bent. I like to doodle schedules and the such. Conference alignment is analogous to scheduling stuff.

When the 2003 expansion chronicles began, I wanted just Miami to join the ACC. With Miami, we increase an already improving conference's football greatly and keep the double round robin in basketball. I was cool on Syracuse and Boston College joining because they are discontiguous with the remainder of the conference. If a 12-team conference was the goal, I wanted Virginia Tech and West Virginia to keep the conference contiguous and retain the awesome ACC logo. I am not pleased with the divisions proposed for football. It is not good looking. Geographic divisions work for the SEC and Big XII. Idiots just want to guarantee FSU and Miami playing in the championship game every year, but that might not happen.

One thing that worked out with the expansion process was Mike Tranghese was exposed as a hypocrite.

As for the Bowl Championship Series, I would like to see the Mountain West expand to 12 teams. Give them an automatic BCS bid. If the Big East is going to get one, the MWC deserves one. I would expand the BCS by one bowl, which would be the Cotton Bowl, which needs to be returned to its rightful place in the bowl pantheon. There would be three at-large teams in this system. I am torn on whether to return the bowls completely to their traditional affiliations. The whole point of the BCS was to crown an undisputed national champion, and obviously that did not happen this year. I am a purist in that I would have liked to see the Big Ten and Pac 10 in the Rose Bowl, ACC in the Orange Bowl, and SEC in Sugar Bowl. If the traditional ties were used with my five bowl system, I would advocate the following:

Orange: ACC or Big East
Sugar: SEC
Cotton: Big XII
Fiesta: MWC
Rose: Pac-10 and Big 10

I am also realistic in this BCS thing only works and the big mass of money only flows if there is a 1-2 game to decide the national championship.

Anyway, enough out of me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:20 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Hmm, although I generally like the anonymity of boards, since I respect this one so much I'll grudgingly relent and give a little "life journey info"...

I grew up in Salt Lake City in the fifties and early sixties, though I am not Mormon. Thus my knowledge and interest in things relating to the WAC and MWC. My high school band played at "band days" in both BYU and Utah stadiums. In those days the mountain canyons were still unspoiled by tourists, and Sundance was only a deserted mining town... In winter we could sled four miles downhill on canyon roads such as Little Cottonwood on the old metal "runner" sleds you could steer.

Although I received a scholarship offer at Utah, I decided to take my undergraduate degree at a small liberal arts college in Michigan, and there are also two graduate degrees, one from MSU, the other from UofM, where I started watching "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcasts from Windsor, and became a regular hockey addict. My roommate at college went on to NotreDame and now teaches there, and thus my continual interest in things NotreDame as well as the BigTen naturally. My other roommate somehow lost his student deferrment, was drafted and died in Nam.

I taught at Emory University in Atanta for twelve years, the last five as a department chair. During those years my secretary had a picture of UGA (the dawg) on her desk, went to every Georgia game home and away, worshipped Vince Dooley, and I got her dander by always rooting for Tech. Thus my knowledge of and interest in all things SEC and ACC. I got to see the famous Notre Dame/Georgia Tech 6-6 tie as well, while attending numerous Atlanta Flame and Brave games in years when neither were any good. We would buy $3 Brave bleacher seats, and by the third inning could walk down to the box seats in back of home plate, unless the Dodgers or Cinci were in town. Still think the best college football announcer is Larry Munson.

In 1985 decided to start my own small business in West Michigan, and have been successfull at that, with 100 employees and three locations.

Am an empty nester now, with one son married, the other still at college. I love to travel, and do it every chance I get.

8-)

Last edited by javaman on Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:07 am 
Senior
Senior

OK, my turn. I am fairly new to this board having only discovered it after the ACC raid and it has quickly become my favorite by far. The civil conversation, quality research, and well thought out points with little if any blatant own team promotion make it a "must read" for me.

I grew up a Michigan fan in Southern California because (next to my beloved LA Rams) they had the coolest helmets. As a result, I learned a great respect for the football played in the Big Ten and Pac-8 now 10 and, in turn, the Rose Bowl.

After graduation from high school I went to the University of Idaho where I tried to walk on the football team. After six weeks of getting my butt kicked, I decided just being a fan of college football was enough. The party life in Moscow and I couldn't coexist so I left back to So. Cal. after two years.

After working two years in heavy constuction, I enrolled at Fresno State where I got to watch Kevin (teeny-weeny)Sweeney toss bombs to the likes of Henry Ellard, Stephon Paige, and Steven Baker (the touchdown maker). I also earned a BS in Bus. Admin.

From 1982 to 1991 I was fortunate enough to truly explore my love for the Rose Bowl. During those years I attended every Tournament of Roses Parade, followed by every Rose Bowl Game. No matter what teams showed up I enjoyed them all. It truly is the Granddaddy of them all.

I now live in Seattle, WA where I've earned an MBA from Seattle Pacific University (go Falcons). To earn a living and support my family I am the Director of Materials for a Bio-tech firm here.

You guys run a classy board. I'm glad to play a part in it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:50 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I am a North Dakota State University grad as of 1996 and have an Agriculutral Engineering degree. I am originally from North Dakota but now live in Kansas. I am married with a baby on the way.

I work for a large agricultural equipment manufacture as a design engineer. But even though I live in Kansas, I still follow my aluma matter (the Bison) which is making its way from the Division II ranks to the Division I ranks (I-AA for football). In fact, I write a column on i-aa.org (just started) and did write for d2football.com's West Region before this.

I am hoping my Bison get into the Big Sky Conference but will be satisified if it is a new football conference and the Mid-Con if that is what is the best offer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
The party life in Moscow and I couldn't coexist so I left back to So. Cal. after two years.

Now there's a great line I thought I'd never see! And Gumby, consider yourself among the classy contributers to the board.

Javaman, So that was you on the otherside of Fulton County Stadium!! ;D

BisonKent, congrats on the baby! Get your sleep now, and when the due date approaches have several meals stored in the freezer; You won't feel up for a lot of cooking those first few days. But enjoy, as it's a wondrous experience!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:03 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

About DND:

I am a 26 year old overnight Wal-Mart stocker with a bachelor's degree in social science from the University of Montevallo. Hence, my knowledge of all things Alabama & Auburn. My aunt is from Lawrenceville, Georgia and me a Dawg convert at a very early age. Hence the Dawg in my name. :) My mother is from Oregon originally and at one time, planned to attend U of O to become a marine biologist. She never went through with it, but still likes U of O and made me a Duck fan. "DND" ;D The two conferences I am familiar with the most are the SEC & the Pac 10. I am also somewhat familiar with the ACC as well. I love talking to Hokie and NC State fans, as well as nice GT fans. ;) I'd have to say by far, college football is my favorite sport, with hockey a close second. (Don't ask me why I like hockey, I just do). BTW, I agree Munson is one of the best play-by-play guys of all time. ;D

Last edited by dawgnduckfan on Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:34 pm 
Senior
Senior

I am a 1980 graduate of the University of California. My first jobs were in athletics, as I coached basketball (as an assistant at the college level for a couple of different teams...mens and womens), and taught PE classes at Cal in the early 80's. I could not land a head coaching job...so, after about 7 years in the "real" world, I left and got a job in the "candy" store. I've been teaching at the community college level for the last 17 years, but only coached my kids in youth sports over those years.

I have two sons, one in college, the other in high school. I got a few more years to go before I can empty nest like the javaman. ;) But the education gig lets me travel a good 2-3 months out of the year anyway (beats working for a living, hence the "candy" store. :D )

I am a 4th generation Californian, and know of no other place in this great country that I would rather live.

I have held season tickets to Cal football since I was a student there in the late 70's. I was there when the greatest single college football event of all time occured..."the Play" in 1982. I still hold the framed ticket stubs! :D

This is really the only board I post on, and I stumbled onto it by accident looking for re-alignment information. Like most on this board, I thought this is madness, there has to be a better way, isn't anybody thinking logically about this? I found this board. Also, like most here I enjoy the board because the arguments are civil, well-researched, and lend to lively discussion and debate.

I used to think the Pac-10 should add Utah and BYU, until I found this board and heard some of the arguments. ;)
One should be able to have their position on a topic changed by good argument. :)
8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:26 am 
Junior
Junior

I'm an ACC representative, graduate of NC State and Georgia Southern. I was born in North Carolina, but I have lived in Baltimore, Houston, Raleigh, .... I work in higher ed administration and recently "retired" from the athletic adminstration of D-1 athletics after several years. I found the broad during the ACC expansion fiasco and I have stuck with it ever since. I've been away a few weeks with a newborn baby that now occupies my free time and then some, but I am happy to have the board and it's array of opinions and great links to articles and other boards. I like to slide some humor in when needed, and I try not to mix fact with opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:29 pm 
Junior
Junior

OK. I'll try this as well.

I am a recent graduate of UI here in Moscow. I got here just when the party was ending... >:( I had some fun times trying to figure out my major (general studies to biology to communication to business to finance). I finally found my major and graduated in May 2002. I now work at the UI. Never thought I would be starting here, but here I am!

During school, I was the mascot (Joe Vandal) for two years including the year UI went to the Humanitarian Bowl game (It was so fun!) :D I have always loved sports, mainly football and men's bball. Bowl Games and March Madness are my favorite times of the year! I became very interested in all these conference moves after the ACC went on their expansion. I really like the idea of conferences becoming more regional. This board is actually one of the first message boards I've been an actual member of. I really like the format and the posts are chuck full of articles from all over. It is nice to see different perspectives on all this reorganization.

I also realize by readings some of these posts that I'm probably one of the youngest members of this board. Hmmm... I hope that doesn't mean I'll be demoted to a "Newbie" :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:01 pm 
Senior
Senior

Big Ten alumnus now living in Texas.

Been down here for a decade now, but I've remained a Yankee.

"EarthX" pays homage to the "Big 2" comic book companies, since I'm an addict from way back.

A "no-prize" to all those who get the double-reference...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next