NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:36 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: baseball realignment
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Too bad this isn't going to happpen.

Eastern Conference
North East Division
Boston
NY Mets
NY Yankees
Philadelphia

Southern Division
Atlanta
Baltimore
Florida
Tampa Bay
Washington

Central Division
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Toronto

Western Conference
Pacific Division
LA Angels
LA Dodgers
Oakland
San Francisco
San Diego
Seattle

Southwest Division
Arizona
Colorado
Houston
Texas

Midwest Division
Chi. Cubs
Chi. White Sox
Kansas City
Milwaukee
Minnesota
Saint Louis

Too bad THIS one isn't going to happpen and my predicted format is way-detailed and it even has maintained in the 162-game season format comparing my previous ideas.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

Post subject: Re: baseball realignment
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:48 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Quinn wrote:
Here's a new realignment scenario to ponder...

AL EAST:
Bos
NYY
Bal
Tor

AL NORTH:
Clev
Det
Minn
Chi

AL CENTRAL:
KC
Tex
* Houston
* Arizona

AL WEST:
LAAngels
Oak
Sea
* Portland (expansion)

NL EAST:
NYM
Phi
DC
Pitt

NL: Central:
STL
Chi
Cincy
Mil

NL SOUTH:
Atl
Flor
* Tampa
* Carolina (expansion)

NL WEST:
SD
LAD
SF
Col

but I'd much rather see MLB drop some teams....

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:57 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Well, fast forward a few years.

I was thinking about the problems with baseball in Florida and wondering if there were a way to give the South their own division. Perhaps a more regional feel would build the sport in the southern cities. And while more areas with 2 teams like to keep them separated in the Al/NL like the Yankees/Mets, Florida seems to be a worthwhile exception as both cities could benefit from having the teams play more often.

Again, it will never happen. But it would only require * Milwaukee returning to the AL and * Tampa going to the NL.
~ Cleveland would move to the AL East
~ Washington, Florida and Atlanta would swap divisions with Pitt, Chi Cubs, Cincy and St. Louis.

AL EAST:
Boston
NY Yankees
Baltimore
Toronto
~Cleveland

AL CENTRAL:
Detroit
Minnesota
* Milwaukee
Chicago
Kansas City

AL WEST:
Texas
LA Angels
Oakland
Seattle

NL EAST:
NY Mets
Phillies
~ Pittsburgh
~ St. Louis
~ Chicago Cubs
~ Cincy

NL SOUTH:
~ Washington
~ Atlanta
* Tampa Bay
~ Florida
Houston

NL WEST:
San Diego
LA Dodgers
San Francisco
Colorado
Arizona

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:42 am 
Senior
Senior

I love it when I get done typing a post after working out the kinks, and it makes me log back in and completely loses the post. *sigh*

Anyways, the main problem with MLB going to a divisional format is that instead of being a single entity, it is actually the overseer of two independent Leagues, and to put it bluntly, there is no way in hades they are going to change that. Two big reasons: 1) Baseball is the oldest organized sport, and with its rich tradition are many purists (a huge reaason why the steroid debate is as big as it is), and that move would drive off enough of them that it would do more damage than the lockout did, and 2) Interleague play is hugely popular, especially the rivalries, and they want to keep that. This means they want to keep their rosters largely intact. That leaves Colorado, Florida, Arizona, Tampa Bay, the new expansion teams, and Milwaukee in play. Side note about Milwaukee, I think by them time MLB is ready to expand, Selig won't be the commish anymore, which leaves them open to a return to being division rivals with Minnesota.

This brings us to where expansion would take place. Portland, New Jersey, Norfolk VA, and Las Vegas fielded offers to get the then-Montreal Expos, which would put them under consideration. I would also add Oklahoma City and Columbus OH to that list of potential candidates with the population base needed to sustain a team. However, territory rights pair down that list. While New Jersey came very close to landing the Expos, that was in a very strange situation, as they had to find a home for them rather quickly. NJ is in Yankees, Mets, and Phillies territory, which probably eliminates them from the list. With Washington getting the Expos, Norfolk is considered under their territorial rights. Columbus's only pro team is in a sport that is not represented in either of the other main cities in the state, as well as being considered the dividing line between Indians Country and Reds country. Despite being the largest city in Ohio and about halfway between Cleveland and the Nati, it's considered within both teams' regional territory. This leaves Portland, Oklahoma City, and Las Vegas left, and gambling in Vegas notwithstanding, all three would be potential candidates, with Portland very likely to get a team, and Vegas and OkC duking it out over the other.

I had divisions and interleague rivalries set up, but since that was erased, I'll try to come up with one momentarily.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:11 am 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
Well, fast forward a few years.

I was thinking about the problems with baseball in Florida and wondering if there were a way to give the South their own division. Perhaps a more regional feel would build the sport in the southern cities. And while more areas with 2 teams like to keep them separated in the Al/NL like the Yankees/Mets, Florida seems to be a worthwhile exception as both cities could benefit from having the teams play more often.

The Marlins are stuck in a garbage baseball stadium and have problems having to go through firesales every so often, and Tampa had been garbage for years until last year, which doesn't help gain a fanbase at all. The problems are at the management level, and having the southern teams in one division isn't going to help.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:12 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I don't think there is a reason for MLB to be in any hurry to expand. What does need to change is the difference in the number of teams in the American and National leagues. It's ridiculous to have one league with 16 teams (with one division in that league having six teams), and the American League having 14 teams (with one division only having four teams).

Major league baseball should either move one team from the American League to the National League, and making all divisions have the same number of teams. Or they should add two teams to the American League, creating two leagues with four 4-team divisions.

"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" by Elvis Costello from the 1977 album My Aim Is True.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:28 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Agreed. Baseball teams in Tampa, Florida and Kansas City should be targeted for relocation before expansion EVER happens. Minnesota would be on that list, but a new stadium will prevent that.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:07 pm 
Senior
Senior

nomorespinsports wrote:
I don't think there is a reason for MLB to be in any hurry to expand. What does need to change is the difference in the number of teams in the American and National leagues. It's ridiculous to have one league with 16 teams (with one division in that league having six teams), and the American League having 14 teams (with one division only having four teams).

Major league baseball should either move one team from the American League to the National League, and making all divisions have the same number of teams. Or they should add two teams to the American League, creating two leagues with four 4-team divisions.

I was with you on this for a very long time, however the more I learned about how the scheduling process works, it does make more sense for them to have unbalanced leagues.

MLB has their set times for Interleague play, other than that the NL and AL operate pretty much as separate entities until the World Series. If you had an even 15 teams in each League, you would end up with one team from each being idle for an entire series. This would mean either you have the teams rest for three days (which would greatly prolong the season), or you have the teams play each other, which greatly devalues Interleague play, and can end up with teams having an imbalanced number of games against the opposite league, which can greatly skew where teams end up in the playoff race. With the unbalanced Leagues, you can keep all teams playing, and still have the Interleague games be meaningful.

The main reason you see Leagues/Conferences across the country in MLB and the NFL, and geographical conferences in the NBA and NHL is because their rival leagues in the sport were in varying degrees of health when they were merged. The American League and AFL were healthy enough that the NL and NFL were willing to take the leagues in under an equal partnership, allowing them to maintain their own identity under the MLB and NFL banners. The ABA and WHA were very unstable, allowing the NBA and NHL to just swallow their opposing leagues whole, with both leagues only taking certain markets into the fold and dissolving others. Those teams invited in adopted an identity within the NBA or NHL, losing their ABA or WHA identity.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:40 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
Agreed. Baseball teams in Tampa, Florida and Kansas City should be targeted for relocation before expansion EVER happens. Minnesota would be on that list, but a new stadium will prevent that.

I think Minnesota has the base to ensure their safety there, any threat of a move is a ploy for a new stadium, however with the economy in the gutter, there's really no one else who can pony up the money for a new stadium anyways.

Florida has severely needed a new stadium for years, and while they've had success, this has also been followed by a quick selling off of the best players shortly afterwards, which can really fluster the fans there. They would really benefit from a retractable dome stadium, since the weather can either be extremely nice or extremely brutal, with usually very little middle ground.

KC just needs ownership that aren't total muppets. Much like the Sonics were run like a Starbucks under Howard Schultz, the team is now being run like another Wal-Mart, whose business practices are not conductive to fielding a competitive team. Either ownership needs to start learning the ropes on fielding a competitive team, or the Royals may need to be moved, despite having a good fanbase that is anything but fairweather.

Tampa was a joke until last season, if they can have a good 4-5 run of being competitive with the two richest teams, maybe another playoff appearance or two, they'll probably grow a fanbase enough to be a comfortable fit in Tampa.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:41 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:

I think Minnesota has the base to ensure their safety there, any threat of a move is a ploy for a new stadium, however with the economy in the gutter, there's really no one else who can pony up the money for a new stadium anyways.

Florida has severely needed a new stadium for years, and while they've had success, this has also been followed by a quick selling off of the best players shortly afterwards, which can really fluster the fans there. They would really benefit from a retractable dome stadium, since the weather can either be extremely nice or extremely brutal, with usually very little middle ground.

KC just needs ownership that aren't total muppets. Much like the Sonics were run like a Starbucks under Howard Schultz, the team is now being run like another Wal-Mart, whose business practices are not conductive to fielding a competitive team. Either ownership needs to start learning the ropes on fielding a competitive team, or the Royals may need to be moved, despite having a good fanbase that is anything but fairweather.

Tampa was a joke until last season, if they can have a good 4-5 run of being competitive with the two richest teams, maybe another playoff appearance or two, they'll probably grow a fanbase enough to be a comfortable fit in Tampa.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:50 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Here's another one with a simple twist:

* Keeps the 16/14 split in leagues for scheduling purposes
* Aids the AL West: they have 4 teams...3 in the Pacific and 1 in the Central time zone. If a division is going to cross 3 timezones, it should have 5 teams.
* Keeps the interconference regional rivalries intact (texas/houston, LAA/LAD, etc)

EAST
NY Yankees
Boston
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Baltimore

CENTRAL
Detroit
Chicago Sox
Minnesota
Kansas City
Cleveland
* Milwaukee

WEST
LA Angels
Oakland
Texas
* Arizona
* Colorado

National League

EAST
Philadelphia
NY Mets
Atlanta
Florida
Washington

CENTRAL
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Chicago Cubs
Pittsburgh
Houston

WEST
LA Dodgers
San Francisco
San Diego
* Seattle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

You can have a 15 - 15 split, and not have continuous BYES, simply by scheduling an odd number of interleague games year round. What is so bad about that ?

I think a lot of the baseball "purists" have died off. A purist would have abandoned the sport, with the advent of the DH and inter-league play. The unbalanced schedule and the unbalanced sizes of the leagues and divisions truly stink.
But nothing will get fixed until Selig and Fehr are gone, and a professional management orgainization with a vision moves in. Perhaps not in our lifetime....

Baseball used to be my summer past-time (during the 1960s and 1970s).

I really have lost all interest in the sport anymore, because of all the silliness.
1) One league with 16 teams, one league with 14 teams
2) Division sizes of 6, 5, and 4
3) Unbalanced schedules.
4) Inter-league play (no objection to inter-league play per se) where opponents are arbitrarily selected, and this differential could sway the division champions / wild cards.
5) DH in one league, pitcher bats in the other. How do we decide which rule to apply when AL meets NL ?
One set of rules needs to be adopted for all.
6) Competitive imbalance, due to lack of salary cap. Should large market teams have a competitve advantage, due to a free-spending owner vs. an owner who is willing to spend money more in line with team revenues ?
This virtually guarantees the Yankees will forever have better talent than 2/3 of MLB. Is that fair ? Why should I feel interested in following a team whose payroll (relative to the big boys) leaves them no real chance to compete ?
7) Token lip service paid to the performance-enhancing drug issue. If you believe in purists, you will recognize that they dwell on all-time records. All-time records are made irrelevant by all of these cheaters. Admittedly steroid use was rampant in the NFL during the 1970s and early 1980s (in fact since adoption of steroid testing and penalties, there may still be previous usage or usage timed to have one's body flushed prior to testing (even though testing is supposed to be random). But the NFL got out in front of this issue and decided to do something about it. It's hard to invest any interest in a baseball slugger who has a fair likelihood of being a cheater (and incentives to cheat - performance enhacing drugs DO WORK, testing is lax, penalties are minor). Performances in the lat 15 years by McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, A-Rod have been remarkable - until later it is revealed that it is all a fraud.
8) What has happened to the great black athlete baseball players. ? Blacks seem to show no interest in the sport anymore... When Bonds and Griffey are gone, who is left ? I am white, but grew up idolizing great talents like Mays, McCovey, Aaron, Robinson, Gibson, Griffey, Morgan, Stargell, Oliver, Parker, Dawson, Rice, Blair, Baylor, Ozzie Smith, etc. They have largely been replaced by some very talented Latino players. Nothing against them - they belong in the game as well, however an entire race of players has deserted the sport.
9) Post-season baseball has become intensely BORING. Games start too late (Selig may have recently moved up the start time), and games can last 4+ hours. This is magnified by Tim McCarver over-analyzing every pitch. Compared to watching the other 3 major sports, watching baseball is like watching paint dry (the commercials typically have far more action).
10) The players are generally uneducated (by far the lowest percentage of college attendees), and have a culture of being big babies. A hangnail means the 15-day disabled list.... Was it Henry Cotto who went on the DL for a Q-tipping accident ? Starting pitchers used to ROUTINELY pitch complete games. Now few pitchers can go more than 115 pitches without becoming totally ineffective or "risking injury"... What is up with that ? During his stint with the Cardinals, Rolen (a BIG guy) had a few collisions on the basepaths that were typical of what a hockey player endures perhaps 3-4 times / game, or what a football player endures 10-12 times a game. Rolen (with roughly $7-10 million / year invested in him) wound up on the DL for MONTHS.... If you are a fan of the NHL or NFL, and witness how tough those guys are, it becomes nearly impossible to sympathize with baseball "injuries".

Baseball needs a vision to fix all the above, and a bold leader who is empowered by the owners to fix it.
They are raking in the money, while the public keeps building them new stadii. So they see no problem. But I think the younger generations are steadily shiftng their interest toward other sports that have more action, and are more fan-friendly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:28 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tute79 wrote:
You can have a 15 - 15 split, and not have continuous BYES, simply by scheduling an odd number of interleague games year round. What is so bad about that ?

I think a lot of the baseball "purists" have died off. A purist would have abandoned the sport, with the advent of the DH and inter-league play. The unbalanced schedule and the unbalanced sizes of the leagues and divisions truly stink.
But nothing will get fixed until Selig and Fehr are gone, and a professional management orgainization with a vision moves in. Perhaps not in our lifetime....

I really have lost all interest in the sport anymore, because of all the silliness.
Necessary for travel purposes. 15 and 15 means 1 team doesn't play on a given night. The last 2 expansion teams eliminated the option for 14/14 balance...
Because of the 15/15 problem, you need to have this breakdown. Even if 14/14, you'd still have 5/5/4
3) Unbalanced schedules.
I like them, but think they can be tweaked
4) Inter-league play (no objection to inter-league play per se) where opponents are arbitrarily selected, and this differential could sway the division champions / wild cards.
Agreed, but there is a system. The teams in one AL division play the teams in another NL division. And then invidividual team play their natural regional rivals (Mets vs Yankees, LAA vs LAD, etc)
5) DH in one league, pitcher bats in the other. How do we decide which rule to apply when AL meets NL ?
I'd prefer the DH in both leagues since NL games are a joke when a pitcher is up and almost a lock to strike out. NL pitchers numbers ar einflated in strikeouts due to this and their ERAs are lower...then they goto an AL team and their numbers go up. As for what systme is used, it's straightforward: AL home games use the DH, NL home games don't. All star game in AL park = AL home game.
6) Competitive imbalance, due to lack of salary cap. Should large market teams have a competitve advantage, due to a free-spending owner vs. an owner who is willing to spend money more in line with team revenues ?
This virtually guarantees the Yankees will forever have better talent than 2/3 of MLB. Is that fair ? Why should I feel interested in following a team whose payroll (relative to the big boys) leaves them no real chance to compete ?
I go the other way. It's a business, just like soccer around the world. If you run your business right, you will maximize efficiency. Teams can start young and save money, have success and do better jobs at growing their businesses sot hat they can afford to keep their own players. Most of the time it's owners not willing to spend money to make money.
7) Token lip service paid to the performance-enhancing drug issue. If you believe in purists, you will recognize that they dwell on all-time records. All-time records are made irrelevant by all of these cheaters. Admittedly steroid use was rampant in the NFL during the 1970s and early 1980s (in fact since adoption of steroid testing and penalties, there may still be previous usage or usage timed to have one's body flushed prior to testing (even though testing is supposed to be random). But the NFL got out in front of this issue and decided to do something about it. It's hard to invest any interest in a baseball slugger who has a fair likelihood of being a cheater (and incentives to cheat - performance enhacing drugs DO WORK, testing is lax, penalties are minor). Performances in the lat 15 years by McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, A-Rod have been remarkable - until later it is revealed that it is all a fraud.
One strike should be a lifetime ban. Period.
8) What has happened to the great black athlete baseball players. ? Blacks seem to show no interest in the sport anymore... When Bonds and Griffey are gone, who is left ? I am white, but grew up idolizing great talents like Mays, McCovey, Aaron, Robinson, Gibson, Griffey, Morgan, Stargell, Oliver, Parker, Dawson, Rice, Blair, Baylor, Ozzie Smith, etc. They have largely been replaced by some very talented Latino players. Nothing against them - they belong in the game as well, however an entire race of players has deserted the sport.
9) Post-season baseball has become intensely BORING. Games start too late (Selig may have recently moved up the start time), and games can last 4+ hours. This is magnified by Tim McCarver over-analyzing every pitch. Compared to watching the other 3 major sports, watching baseball is like watching paint dry (the commercials typically have far more action).
It's an urban cultural issue. There has been a glorification for the young black male to focus his athletic ability into basketball for a livlihood. One problem...there are only a handful of roster spots in the NBA and no true farm system. there are also restrictions overseas for the number of foreign athletes. and there are onyl 2 rounds in the NBA draft. So frankly, there aren't enough jobs. The responsibility rests with the parents, teachers and coaches of young kids who notice athletic abilities, and to guide these kids to #1) using academics as the #1 tool and sports second in the event sports don't work, and #2) guiding kids to other sports like baseball rather than pushing them towards basketball as their way "out". Baseball has 40 man rosters, a deep draft, and levels of minor leagues. Baseball is more successful than basketball top to bottom and people need to learn as kids that this is the case.
10) The players are generally uneducated (by far the lowest percentage of college attendees), and have a culture of being big babies. A hangnail means the 15-day disabled list.... Was it Henry Cotto who went on the DL for a Q-tipping accident ? Starting pitchers used to ROUTINELY pitch complete games. Now few pitchers can go more than 115 pitches without becoming totally ineffective or "risking injury"... What is up with that ? During his stint with the Cardinals, Rolen (a BIG guy) had a few collisions on the basepaths that were typical of what a hockey player endures perhaps 3-4 times / game, or what a football player endures 10-12 times a game. Rolen (with roughly $7-10 million / year invested in him) wound up on the DL for MONTHS.... If you are a fan of the NHL or NFL, and witness how tough those guys are, it becomes nearly impossible to sympathize with baseball "injuries".
MLB athletes playing from age 18 until 38 is fairly routine. That's not the case for the other sports due to the nature of the sport.

Baseball needs a vision to fix all the above, and a bold leader who is empowered by the owners to fix it.
They are raking in the money, while the public keeps building them new stadii. So they see no problem. But I think the younger generations are steadily shiftng their interest toward other sports that have more action, and are more fan-friendly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:32 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tute79 wrote:

Necessary for travel purposes. 15 and 15 means 1 team doesn't play on a given night. The last 2 expansion teams eliminated the option for 14/14 balance...
Because of the 15/15 problem, you need to have this breakdown. Even if 14/14, you'd still have 5/5/4
3) Unbalanced schedules.
I like them, but think they can be tweaked
Agreed, but there is a system. The teams in one AL division play the teams in another NL division. And then invidividual team play their natural regional rivals (Mets vs Yankees, LAA vs LAD, etc)
I'd prefer the DH in both leagues since NL games are a joke when a pitcher is up and almost a lock to strike out. NL pitchers numbers ar einflated in strikeouts due to this and their ERAs are lower...then they goto an AL team and their numbers go up. As for what systme is used, it's straightforward: AL home games use the DH, NL home games don't. All star game in AL park = AL home game.
I go the other way. It's a business, just like soccer around the world. If you run your business right, you will maximize efficiency. Teams can start young and save money, have success and do better jobs at growing their businesses sot hat they can afford to keep their own players. Most of the time it's owners not willing to spend money to make money.
One strike should be a lifetime ban. Period.
It's an urban cultural issue. There has been a glorification for the young black male to focus his athletic ability into basketball for a livlihood. One problem...there are only a handful of roster spots in the NBA and no true farm system. there are also restrictions overseas for the number of foreign athletes. and there are onyl 2 rounds in the NBA draft. So frankly, there aren't enough jobs. The responsibility rests with the parents, teachers and coaches of young kids who notice athletic abilities, and to guide these kids to #1) using academics as the #1 tool and sports second in the event sports don't work, and #2) guiding kids to other sports like baseball rather than pushing them towards basketball as their way "out". Baseball has 40 man rosters, a deep draft, and levels of minor leagues. Baseball is more successful than basketball top to bottom and people need to learn as kids that this is the case.
MLB athletes playing from age 18 until 38 is fairly routine. That's not the case for the other sports due to the nature of the sport.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn -

You make some good points.

Again - 15 / 15 would work if you accept the odd team from each league playing inter-league games (and thus avoiding the BYE). When Selig shifted Milwaukee to the NL to get to 16 / 14, I think inter-league play was "experimental".

DH - Originally (being a "purist", I suppose), I saw no need for it. I think it came in around 1974 or so. Evidence shows that it contributes maybe an additional run per game for each team. I don't feel strongly in favor of or against it, I just want the rules to be standardized across MLB. Lately, I see so many injuries relating to pitchers injuring themselves running the bases and swinging the bat, that adopting the DH may be far less ruinous to a team's pitching staff. Pitchers tend to be so specialized in their repetitive motion (throwing the ball) that subjecting them to having to make other random movements is becoming risky. This may sound like a sarcastic comment, but no, I believe it to be true. I think fans would enjoy watching a batter who is a good offensively (but perhaps bad defensively) take some whacks, rather than watch a pitcher who might bat .185. So at this point, I think I'd vote for the DH to be adopted by the NL, All-Star Game, World Series (everything).

Salary cap - You contend that a well-managed team can compensate by effective player development. A little bit. But here's the problem. Free agents.... free agents continue to migrate from the small market / lower payroll teams to the larger market / higher payroll teams. The Yankees simply do not need to focus as hard on scouting and player development as the KC Royals / Pittsburgh Pirates / Tampa Bay Rays / etc. because they will simply fill any roster holes by buying up free agents. Of course the player's union doesn't want a salary cap, because [in a vacuum] a salary cap means less total money for the players. Hockey imposed a salary cap, but also a salary FLOOR, and both are tied to league-wide revenues. The players could perhaps agree to a payroll-neutral proposal. But the small market owners might only be able to afford the salary floor without revenue sharing. Then you have shifted the dispute from the players to the large market vs. small market owners. Something needs to be done, or baseball will have [already has] perrennial have-nots. Pittsburgh gets the tax-payers to build them a new $250 million ballpark / Yankees get tax-payers to build them a new $1 billion dollar ballpark. Pittsburgh's stadium sits empty even though ticket prices are fairly reasonable... WHY ?
The team is viewed as payroll-constrained and hence, not competitive. MLB needs to look at NFL / NHL to see how a decent competitive balance means that fans of every franchise have reason to believe that their team is worth watching. Selig knows this, but is hamstrung as far as pushing for meaningful change.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next