Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:19 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The New USFL
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

This is the link to the new usfl. Hope it will survive because i'm sick of the No Fun League.

http://www.newusfl.com/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:42 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

footballgod wrote:
This is the link to the new usfl. Hope it will survive because i'm sick of the No Fun League.

http://www.newusfl.com/index.html

Amen to that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Not exactly the economic climate to support another new league launch, is it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:51 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Well...hard to say. I think it depends on the financial level they are going to play at. People like to be distracted from their daily suffering even more when times are hard. Fantasy books sell more. people might really gravitate to cheap entertainment.

Post subject: Re: The New USFL
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:42 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Apparenly the league has announced their tentative locations for their 12 initial sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Football_League_(2010)
"
"Western Division"

California 1 (San Jose, although like the XFL Demons this franchise apparently could relocate to San Francisco before the season opens if SF presents a better stadium deal.)
California 2 (Los Angeles)
Nevada (Las Vegas)
Oregon (Portland)
Texas (San Antonio)
Louisiana (Previously this site had been listed as awarded to Baton Rouge, but now all mention of that city appear removed from the site. Now there is only talk of New Orleans, implying the site will be located there.)
"Eastern Division"

Florida (Orlando)
Arkansas (Litle Rock)
New York (Previously announced as West Point --- one of the few appropriately sized stadium options near NYC.)
Michigan (Detroit)
Ohio (Cincinnati)
Alabama (Birmingham)
"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

This league isn't funny enough to be a joke. Someone's trying to announce franchises without anyone financing them... hoping he can sell them off before they have to play ball.

Mind you, even for the best intentioned (maybe Mark Cuban's errrrrrrrr someone else's UFL), this isn't easy. Think of it this way... name two leagues that were born as coast-to-coast entities and survive to this day.

NFL, no. MLB, no. NBA, no. NHL, heck no. None of these leagues went south for some time, much less west.

AFL, all but dead. XFL, WFL, USFL, stop me if you've heard this before. ABA and WHA and the like... know what I'm saying?

Major League Soccer has, to this point, done it, and not nearly in the prettiest of fashions. The WNBA barely has its collective heads above water. MLS is America's first division soccer league, WNBA is America's premier women's basketball league.

It's bloody hard to get something going like that with a nationwide opening.

My gut also says it's bloody hard to get a regional football league going. You have to marry investors who want to spend the money (and plenty of it) to towns with facilities that are suitable. Those are very hard to come by, even for MLS (and football may demand bigger stadia than 20K).

In short, don't hold your breath.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:14 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I'm getting tired, been holding my breath. wonder if the new USFL will have to pay Steve Young still.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Not happening. Another victim of the down spiral.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:51 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

http://www.newusfl.com/USFLNews/News.html

A message from Bart Oates?! I am inclined to differ with poster like Pounder who don't buy into this. I have to think guys like Oates and Hebert (who is a millionaire and could sue the tar out of these guys with a phone call) would be kicking butt if their names were being associated with a fake business without their consent.

Now will it happen? Who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I hope the WHA, ABA is still around and the USFL make a play. The problem with this country is monopolies the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL are monopolies they are no fun and control it with no competition at all. If congress wants to do anything right declare them monopolies. FYI i hope the MISL and CISL comeback too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Well, technically they are not monopolies.

They are the only leagues that we confer MAJOR-LEAGUE status upon, but I don't see them feeling threatened by little start-up leagues.

There is a barrier to entry - enormous start-up costs. But have the existing major leagues conspired to stop individuals that foolishly want to piss money away on a competing venture ? I don't see obvious evidence of that....

To start up and get a competing league to the point that it is sustainable, you have to do the following:
1. Get some TV partners who are willing to help foot the bill.
2. Get decent players and coaches with name recognition, so that the teams in the new league have some credibility
3. Get access to some decent stadii / arenas for the games.
4. Get the fans to come on board.

Ten AFL teams merged with the NFL (I'm not sure that the Cincinnati Bengals and Miami Dolphins weren't created after the merger was announced). Oakland, KC, San Diego, Denver, Houston, Cincinnati, Miami, Buffalo, and Boston (New England) were non-NFL markets. Only the New York Jets competed head-to-head with the Giants.

Four ABA teams survived to merge: Denver, Indiana, San Antonio were untapped markets. Only the New York Nets competed with the Knicks.

Four WHA teams survived to merge: Quebec, Hartford, Winnepeg, and Edmonton. All were non-NHL markets.

Here's the lesson.... go after those markets where you have an unserved fan base !!!!
Those markets tend to be smaller, but there isn't the withering competition from the big boys, and you can get dates at the local stadium / arena.... the big obstacle then is money to sustain the organizations until there is enough credibility to get a TV contract and achieve some level of profitability.
And still it's HARD... let there be no doubt about that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Well, technically they are not monopolies.

They are the only leagues that we confer MAJOR-LEAGUE status upon, but I don't see them feeling threatened by little start-up leagues.

There is a barrier to entry - enormous start-up costs. But have the existing major leagues conspired to stop individuals that foolishly want to piss money away on a competing venture ? I don't see obvious evidence of that....

To start up and get a competing league to the point that it is sustainable, you have to do the following:
1. Get some TV partners who are willing to help foot the bill.
2. Get decent players and coaches with name recognition, so that the teams in the new league have some credibility
3. Get access to some decent stadii / arenas for the games.
4. Get the fans to come on board.

Ten AFL teams merged with the NFL (I'm not sure that the Cincinnati Bengals and Miami Dolphins weren't created after the merger was announced). Oakland, KC, San Diego, Denver, Houston, Cincinnati, Miami, Buffalo, and Boston (New England) were non-NFL markets. Only the New York Jets competed head-to-head with the Giants.

Four ABA teams survived to merge: Denver, Indiana, San Antonio were untapped markets. Only the New York Nets competed with the Knicks.

Four WHA teams survived to merge: Quebec, Hartford, Winnepeg, and Edmonton. All were non-NHL markets.

Here's the lesson.... go after those markets where you have an unserved fan base !!!!
Those markets tend to be smaller, but there isn't the withering competition from the big boys, and you can get dates at the local stadium / arena.... the big obstacle then is money to sustain the organizations until there is enough credibility to get a TV contract and achieve some level of profitability.
And still it's HARD... let there be no doubt about that.

if they are not monopolies then why in the 80's they lost the lawsuit to the usfl and the usfl only won 3 dollars? I guess its the so called anti-trust exemption which is fake and part of voodoo economics we have in this country.