It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:45 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Manchester United 4 - 2 Arsenal

At Highbury, no less! Well, that sucks. >:(

As posted on another board at least when Chelsea lifts the Premiership trophy this year they can do so knowing it only cost them another $133 million in debt!!! I can't imagine what plan their board has concocted to get them into the black in five years, unless of course Mr. Abromovich (owner) is willing to write off another 1/4 billion.

And if he does the FA should scream bloody murder. At least Steinbrenner's huge checkbook is bankrolled by Yankee income!

All right, I'm better now. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Doesn't Arsenal get a new stadium next year? It's not the "new Wembley," correct?

Other than that, we knew you had to vent. Not coming back on a 10-man Merchandise United does that to people. Yeesh!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fortunately having kids helps one learn to temper how they express their frustrations. Yet also, fortunately, babies do not understand four letter words!

You knew about Silvestre's sending off, eh? By that point it was already 3-2 and ManU had begun to pack it in on defense. What galls me is, as Mgr. Wenger pointed out, the ease with which the Gunner's defense collapsed on attackes from the left. Pascal Cygan has worn out his welcome, in my book. The pickings will be slim considering the team's budget but we must garner someone to help Cole and Campbell in the back.

The new stadium, with naming rights bought buy Emirates airlines, opens in 2006. (Pictures available at arsenal.com) Even then it may take a year or two for the additional $20 mil in revenue it will bring to reach the salary budget. They spend as needed to stay within range of the Champion's League and that revenue stream, but we may be witnessing the changing of the guard as Viera, Llunberg and Pires begin to slip past their prime.

Huge win for Liverpool as they try to keep hope alive for a CL berth. Personally I hope Everton retain the spot to help their cause for a new facility - Liverpool will get theirs in 07 or 08, already.

While we're at it, I see where Mr. Eddie Pope hopes to renew his career with Real Salt Lake. A pick up they needed, based on the early roster dividends. I'm sorry to see old coaches being rehashed with the expansion teams, though. I'm worried that we're not producing the volume of new talent in those ranks like we're doing with the players.

Last thought: Grumblings among my northeastern family suggest DC United will pull no punches in trying to win the title again this year. They need to do well to maintain support given their new RFK neighbor in the Nationals, and such success might be the only way to glean help for a new facility before the public feels gipped by the one their building for baseball.