Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:54 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: CBA/NBDL
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:14 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Four teams have bolted the CBA for the NBDL (one of which was an expansion team to begin play in 2006), reducing the CBA to only 5 teams:

Gary Steelheads
Rockford Lightning
Albany Patroons
Michigan Mayhem
Yakama Sun Kings

The NBDL now sports 14 teams, which I have grouped into tentative divisions:

West:
Albuqerque
Anaheim
Bakersfield
Colorado
Idaho

Central:
Austin
Dakota
Fort Worth
Sioux Falls
Tulsa

South:
Arkansas
Roanoke
Florida
Fayetteville

I can't imagine Yakima wanting to stay in the CBA if it survives without dramatic expansion west of Denver. The good news for Yakima is that has a chance of happening with talks underway in Montana, California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.

The four teams in the Midwest and New York aren't really near any of the teams in the NBDL; there may be some help coming from Georgia, Kansas, Michigan, and Indiana, although the first two seem ripe for the picking from the NBDL.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:28 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

It'll be better if the NBDL merged with the CBL. that way the CBL traditions will be alive but under the NBA.

John

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The NBDL didn't think so... they got what they wanted and figure the rest will fold.

I find it kind of hard to believe that Florida and Roanoke and Fayetteville will be in the league next season.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Update: I'm such a 50/50 guy.

Sure enough, Florida and Roanoke and Fayetteville are gone from the D-League. Lineup looks to be 12, with two teams in the LA area, Bakersfield, Boise, suburban Denver, Albuquerque, Tulsa, Fort Worth, Austin, Arkansas, Bismarck, and Sioux Falls.

However, a CBA franchise was announced earlier for "Northern Nevada," but no venue is yet secured. San Jose's ABA club is jumping over to the CBA (I like that place... I just think it's a bad location for CBA ball- BTW, I'm not sold on LA teams in the D-League either). The league is announcing Reno, as well as Great Falls MT and Spokane as "possible" locations. At least Spokane helps Yakama (team is currently named for the Yakama Reservation rather than the city of Yakima) more or less directly. The D-League didn't get the folding they anticipated.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:12 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

There are at least 4 or 5 teams in the CBL starting the 2006-07 season. It's not well-organized in terms of having a number a teams in a league to say the least.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Update: No Reno (who seems to be gearing for D-League), no Spokane this year.

Great Falls and Butte, yes.

Many, many rumors that Rockford is dead. Michigan's owner is going through bankruptcy right now, and the Mayhem are involved. I just can't see how Gary and Albany can survive with a bunch of western cities. I don't see where the CBA survives.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:27 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Meanwhile, the ABA currently claims 60 teams for the 2006-07 season, although rumor that the Indiana Alley Cats (Anderson, Indiana) may be on their way to the D-League:

http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2006071706008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Alleycats will be going to CBA, not D-League... along with Southern California, Florida Pit Bulls, and two teams yet to be named.

What's wrong with this picture? Yakama (using the "National" spelling vice the city), Great Falls, Butte, greater Los Angeles, Gary (if they survive), Rockford (if THEY survive), Albany, Indiana, greater Miami...

...not to mention that most of the ABA teams apparently added don't have a lease signed for a place to play yet. It's as if the CBA has stooped to the level of the ABA merely to survive.

As for the ABA, we're hard pressed to find a team that played all its scheduled games last year. Let's just say I only look at what they're doing when I need to stroke a superiority complex.

Last edited by pounder on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:23 pm 
Senior
Senior

It's official, Gary has folded. I don't have the article link right now, but I'll try to get one tomorrow since I have to go home shortly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Not to mention San Jose gave up that market, the ownership taking a year off while moving to, you guessed it, Minot, North Dakota.

There's a rumor that Rockford is also dead... but that they will be replaced by a team in Pittsburgh.

If spotty ABA markets are propping up the CBA, the league may live a while, but I sense at least a living death. I doubt it has the ability to drink the blood of healthy leagues- well, find me a healthy minor pro basketball league, first.

Last edited by pounder on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So... the CBA managed to survive to this point with 7 teams: Albany, Butte, Great Falls, Indiana, Minot, Pittsburgh, and Yakama.

They started the year with 8. Utah folded a couple months ago. There are rumblings about Yakama leaving and Butte not being too terribly solvent (noting that one organization owns Butte, Great Falls, Minot, and the former Utah).

The attendance figures in most markets are NOT good. However, I'm not picking up on credible shut-down rumors.