NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I was analyzing about two institutions in the same city and in the same "State University", which is the State University of New York. But which one of the could be the "state's 'state university's'" campus?

a - University of Buffalo. or
b - Buffalo State College

Unlike the other S.U.N.Y. campuses, which are expressed in the following later on, are sometimes called as the name of that campus instead of being a campus itself. But I re-arranged it as it should be:

Red = University Center

SUNY-Albany
SUNY-Alfred
SUNY-Binghamton
SUNY-Cornell
SUNY-Stony Brook

Blue = University College

SUNY-Brockport
SUNY-Cortland
SUNY-Empire State
SUNY-Fredonia
SUNY-Geneseo
SUNY-New Paltz
SUNY-Old Westbury
SUNY-Oneonta
SUNY-Oswego
SUNY-Plattsburgh
SUNY-Potsdam
SUNY-Purchase

Green = Technology College

*SUNYIT-Alfred
*SUNYIT-Canton
*SUNYIT-Cobleskill
*SUNYIT-Delhi
SUNYIT-Farmingdale
SUNYIT-Maritime
*SUNYIT-Morrisville
SUNYIT (Utica/Rome)

* - In "Community College" status

Purple = Community College

SUNY-Adirondack
SUNY-Broome
SUNY-Cayuga
SUNY-Clinton
SUNY-Columbia-Greene
SUNY-Corning
SUNY-Dutchess
SUNY-Erie
SNUYFIT
SUNY-Finger Lakes
SUNY-Fulton-Montgomery
SUNY-Genesee
SUNY-Herkimer County
SUNY-Hudson Valley
SUNY-Jamestown
SUNY-Jefferson
SUNY-Mohawk Valley
SUNY-Monroe
SUNY-Nassau
SUNY-Niagara County
SUNY-North Country
SUNY-Onondaga
SUNY-Orange County
SUNY-Rockland
SUNY-Schenectady County
SUNY-Suffolk County
SUNY-Sullivan County
SUNY-Tompkins Cortland
SUNY-Ulster County
SUNY-Westchester

That's all I have to say. But you, the people can think over and decide which should be SUNY-Buffalo. Then we'll reply more if neccesarily possible. Take care, guys.

John (a.k.a. NCAAnopaawaa2000)

P.S.: It could be well-represented for each institution in their "athletics programs" as well.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:44 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
I was analyzing about two institutions in the same city and in the same "State University", which is the State University of New York. But which one of the could be the "state's 'state university's'" campus?

a - University of Buffalo. or
b - Buffalo State College

Unlike the other S.U.N.Y. campuses, which are expressed in the following later on, are sometimes called as the name of that campus instead of being a campus itself. But I re-arranged it as it should be:

Red = University Center

SUNY-Albany
SUNY-Alfred
SUNY-Binghamton
SUNY-Cornell
SUNY-Stony Brook

The University at Buffalo (SUNY-Buffalo) should be listed to this list as well. The following map shows a white shaded dot or circle that indicates a "University Center":

http://www.suny.edu/student/campuses_map.cfm

There's also a solid white dot for the Upstate Medical Center and College of Environmental Science and Forestry, both of which are located in Syracuse. Also the Downstate Medical Center and the Optometry College, both located in the NYC area and Long Island.

A University Center is a doctorate/research university. So there are 10 of these designations in the SUNY system. But for national comparisons of flagship universities, I wouldn't count the Upstate Medical Center, Downstate Medical Center, The Optometry College, the College of Environmental Science and Forestry nor the Ceramics School at Alfred University.

Only SUNY (University at Buffalo), SUNY (University at Albany), SUNY (Binghamton University) and SUNY (Stony Brook University) I would count as state flagships in the peership of state flagships in the nation. Also, Cornell University, which is a private Ivy League school like Harvard, Brown, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Penn and Dartmouth, is contracted by the State of New York to provide the Federal Morrill Act of 1862 Land Grant University system, which is the state's Agricultural college, Home Economics, Veterinary School and School of Labor and Industrial Relations. So Cornell, though private and Ivy League is like Michigan State, Iowa State, Purdue, Clemson, Rutgers, Kansas State, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Penn State in this regard. So really there is 5 flagships in the SUNY system. The school of Environmental Science, Ceramics at Alfred University (also a private university contracted by the state to provide this program) and the Upstate and Downstate Medical Schools as well as the Optometry College are too much of specialty schools to compare to the University of Maryland, Penn State, Michigan, South Carolina, UMass, and the University Centers at Buffalo, Albany, Binghamton, Stony Brook, and the Land Grant at Cornell are like those other statewide flagships. Here's an article on Cornell recieving state of NY money to run the state's Land Grant system:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Jan06/StateBudget.kr.html

As far as Buffalo State College, or SUNY-Buffalo State, its a university college and does not offer much as far as doctorates and is not a research university and wouldn't be equivalant to Penn State, Maryland, Ohio State, the University of Missouri, UMass. They would be more like Marshall University or Northern Michigan, or Eastern Illinois, or perhaps Chicago State University is a better comparison for Buffalo State. Its purpose is not as high of a level like the University at Buffalo (SUNY) University Center which has extensive doctorate granting capabilities and research. Buffalo State is more focused on undergraduate education and the University at Buffalo is focused on graduate education, undergraduate education and research.

Last edited by metropolitan on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I still doubt about that. That's why I made this topic so everyone can post their opinions just like you did. But thanks for your cooperation.

John

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:01 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Doubt about what, may I ask?

This wikipedia article pretty much lays out what I just posted, on the organization of the State University of New York and all of its campuses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_University_of_New_York

It illustrates the 4 University Centers of the University at Buffalo, University at Albany, Binghamton University and Stony Brook University, and then the other doctorate granting institutions and university centers, then the numerous University Colleges, including Buffalo State, the numerous community colleges.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

OK. I understand that New York and New Jersey are the only states that doesn't have a "state name's" State University. Only as State University of "state name". Here is an example of one state or two:

Ohio:

Ohio State University (at Columbus; main campus)
Ohio State University, at Newark
Ohio State University, at Marion
Ohio State University, at Mansfield
Ohio State University, at Lima

Louisiana:

Louisiana State University (at Baton Rouge; main campus)
Louisiana State University, at Shreveport
Louisiana State University, at Eunice
Louisiana State University, at Alexandria

Of all of the 64 campuses in the SUNY system, which one of them is the "charter" campus or main campus of all of them?

How come that it can't exist as New York State University?

The following is just an ideal and predicted format. Please don't take this seriously. I'm a New York native myself.

The 4 flagship campuses should become campuses of New York University. For example:

New York University, at Albany
New York University, at Binghamton
New York University, at Buffalo
New York University, at Stony Brook

While the other campuses should become campuses of New York State University. For example:

New York State University, at Brockport
New York State University, at Cortland
New York State University, at Buffalo
New York State University, at Fredonia
New York State University, at Geneseo
New York State University, at New Paltz
New York State University, at Old Westbury
New York State University, at Oneonta
New York State University, at Oswego
New York State University, at Plattsburgh
New York State University, at Potsdam
New York State University, at Purchase

While the SUNYIT campuses should become campuses of New York Institute of Technology. For example:

New York Institute of Technology, at Alfred
New York Institute of Technology, at Canton
New York Institute of Technology, at Cobleskill
New York Institute of Technology, at Delhi
New York Institute of Technology, at Farmingdale
New York Institute of Technology, at Maritime
New York Institute of Technology, at Morrisville
New York Institute of Technology, at Utica/Rome

While the 2-year-college campuses should become campuses of New York University. For example:

New York University, at Adirondack
New York University, at Broome
New York University, at Cayuga
New York University, at Clinton
New York University, at Columbia-Greene
New York University, at Corning
New York University, at Dutchess
New York University, at Erie
New York University, at Finger Lakes
New York University, at Fulton-Montgomery
New York University, at Genesee
New York University, at Herkimer County
New York University, at Hudson Valley
New York University, at Jamestown
New York University, at Jefferson
New York University, at Mohawk Valley
New York University, at Monroe
New York University, at Nassau
New York University, at Niagara County
New York University, at North Country
New York University, at Onondaga
New York University, at Orange County
New York University, at Rockland
New York University, at Schenectady County
New York University, at Suffolk County
New York University, at Sullivan County
New York University, at Tompkins Cortland
New York University, at Ulster County
New York University, at Westchester

Any questions or comments? Let me know.

John

Last edited by ncaanopaawaa2000 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:07 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

New York University sounds like a great name, but it already is a named that is being used, by a very large private university in New York City known as New York University, or more commonly known as NYU:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_University

There is no charter member of the SUNY system. The State of New York was the very last state to have any public university. In the 1948-1962 period, the State of New York bought up a bunch of private colleges and universities and converted them to SUNY campuses as well as built entirely new SUNY campuses. Prior to 1948, the only institution having any relationship to the state of New York was the Morrill Act of 1862 Land Grant Component of Cornell University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_University_of_New_York

The northeast is a region that has a long history of many private universities and colleges. It wasn't until after World War II, like many states, experienced a dramatic increase in enrollment and the need for expanded college and university institutions. So New York finally got into the state university business as a result. Similarly, Rutgers was like Cornell, as a private university providing New Jersey's Land Grant component, until 1947 when it became officially a state university.

Also similarly, UMass and UConn both have similar histories when they started out as only the Massachussetts Agricultural College and the Connecticut Agricultural College. Both of these universities, as well as the University of Maine, the University of New Hampshire and the University of Rhode Island, didn't retain the name of the University of Massachussetts and the University of Connecticut, University of Maine, the University of New Hampshire, and the University of Rhode Island, until well into the 20th Century, much behind Midwestern, Southern and even Western state flagship/land grant universities. The University of Vermont and the University of Delaware also are partially private while also being the state's Land Grant universities and Penn State even only state-related and indepedent of the state to a certain degree. The Northeast as always had this pseudo state university/private university history and relunctance or shorter history with getting into the public college and university business.

Last edited by metropolitan on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:38 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

How about just New York State University?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:33 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

New York State University sounds fine.

But even though SUNY sounds a little different, it also does relate to how the University of Iowa was originally named. The University of Iowa was originally called the State University of Iowa, or SUI. For many years, Iowa State University was originally called State Agricultural College and Model Farm, then Iowa State College of Agriculture and Mechanics, and now its formal name of Iowa State University of Science and Technology. When Iowa State University became Iowa State University (Ames) the State University of Iowa (Iowa City) officially changed its name to the University of Iowa and followed almost everyone else with how to name the state's flagship liberal arts/comprehensive/medical school/law school university.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
New York University sounds like a great name, but it already is a named that is being used, by a very large private university in New York City known as New York University, or more commonly known as NYU:

OK, Metro. But when I meant that name, I wasn't referring to the City of New York, I was referring to the State of New York, like those nearly-sounded ideal names:

University of the State of New York or
University of New York

Otherwise, all of the campuses should be expressed just like according to my post on February 14.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Do we really need to "franchise" our school names?

I'd actually prefer to tag Oregon State in the way Clemson and Auburn work, except instead of calling it Corvallis, I'd hit the history books. McLoughlin University sounds quite alright to me. (Now, I ought to post that on an OSU board, just to watch my post get slaughtered)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:50 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Do we really need to "franchise" our school names?

I'd actually prefer to tag Oregon State in the way Clemson and Auburn work, except instead of calling it Corvallis, I'd hit the history books. McLoughlin University sounds quite alright to me. (Now, I ought to post that on an OSU board, just to watch my post get slaughtered)

Oregon St sounds better, just remember those states the "state" school is a HBC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

HBC?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:40 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Historical Black College

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Like I said earlier. I was trying to help about this, you know.