NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:59 pm 
Junior
Junior

As a thought expirement, which athletic conference would the following schools have played sports in if they had actually existed?

Maine State University Pilots(Portland):

This school has the largest student body in the State of Maine, (It's name in real life is University of Southern Maine) and has an on campus law school and a medical school in downtown Portland, as opposed to Maine, whose research farms are at Presque Isle and Machaias, Medical school is at Farmington, and Law School is at Augusta. Maine State plays football at Pilot Stadium, a C shaped stadium in Downtown Portland shared with the Canadian Football League Portland Pirates.

The School recieved its current name when a piece of legislation that in real life in 1948 failed to pass did.

Massachusetts Commonwealth University Roundheads: (Boston) Created from the merger of UMass-Boston, Boston State University, and a Boston U. that in this timeline went bankrupt in the Nineteenth century and was taken over by the city and then taken over in 1969 by the state of Massachusetts. Plays Basketball and Hockey at Boston Gardens and shares Gillette-Foxboro Stadium with the New England Patriots. Like Maine State, MCU is home to on-campus law and medical schools and is larger than UMass Amhearst, but has the added advantage of being in the state capitol.

SUNY Syracuse (Syracuse University is made part of the SUNY system)

Connecticut State University. We know it as Central Connecticut State. Basically UConn Madical School is instead managed by an administration closer than Stoors.

Pennsylvania Commonwealth University (One of the fourteen schools in the Penn System of Higher Education gets a medical and law school sometime before Penn State grows really big)

University Of New Jersey Devils: Rutgers-Camden and University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Merge in the mid 1970s

New Jersey State University: Instead of trying to steal Princeton University's history and regalia(As College of New Jersey), Trenton State College goes to a university system and adds a law and engineering school.

Ohio University-Miami University-Columbus Panthers: The course the Battle of Chattanooga goes slightly differently (though the main outcome isn't changed) so "Old Miami" survives and is made the state's Land Grant school as was originally planned. Later "Ohio State University" is given to what in OTL is Ohio State-Wilberforce aka Central State. In the 1920's Ohio and Miami open up seperate extended campuses that merge in 1964, starting a football program that very year: The football field is on campus, but is shared with the Ohio University College of Education Model High School. (Which Conferences do OU-Athens, Miami U-Oxford, OUMUC, and Cincinatti belong to?)

The Indiana State University Sycamores (Indianapolis) Instead of West Lafyette, the Indiana State Legislature places the state's Land Grant School in the state capitol. (West Laffyette gets a Normal School, and Real Life Indiana State becomes Western Indiana University). The University later gets a medical and a law school. Extended Campuses can be found in Columbus, Calumet, Fort Wayne, Evansville and Corydon. (Which Conferences do ISU, IU, and PU belong to?)

Minnesota State University Screaming Eagles (Crookston) Minnesota founds UMnC sepperate from Minnesota-Twin Cities to be an independant Land Grant School.

University of North Dakota (Bismarck) North Dakota founds only one State Flagship university.

University of South Dakota (Pierre) South Dakota founds only one State Flagship university.

Wyoming State University Indians(Casper) State Normal and Land Grant College

University of Utah (Bountiful) Utah founds consolidated Liberal Arts-Comprehensive/Land Grant University.

University of Idaho (Pocatello) Idaho State University(Moscow) Idaho founds two flagship universities when the state enters the union.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:16 pm 
Junior
Junior

[daffy duck vioce]Any takers? Anyone at all? Anyone?[/daffy duck voice]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:42 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Maine State - due to its isolation, MSU eschews I-A to remain in I-AA with Maine in the Atlantic 10 for football and the America East for everything else but hockey.

Syracuse - unchanged, but SUNY keeps Buffalo in I-AA.

MCU - CAA for everything but Football, which just replaced BC in the Big East after toiling as an independent.

CSU - unchanged

PCU - Pennyslvania's third I-A school gets the spot in the MAC now occupied by Buffalo.

ISUI - see IUPUI

Minn State/UND/USD - In I-AA Missouri Valley/Gateway with North Dakota and South Dakota. Minnesota State and Montana are generally regarded to be the next schools in the WAC.

Utah - unchanged, but Utah State is still in I-AA GWFC and the Mid-Con.

Wyoming State - stays in I-AA Big Sky with Wyoming.

Idaho State - takes Boise State's place in the WAC. BSU is in the Big Sky.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:29 am 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
Maine State - due to its isolation, MSU eschews I-A to remain in I-AA with Maine in the Atlantic 10 for football and the America East for everything else but hockey.

Umm, okay. I had thought that the resulting in-state rivalry would elevate them both to 1A, but maybe not.

Quote:

Syracuse - unchanged, but SUNY keeps Buffalo in I-AA.

MCU - CAA for everything but Football, which just replaced BC in the Big East after toiling as an independent.

Is there a massive UMass-MCU rivalry that is disrupted when MCU goes Division 1A (or makes the Division 1A cut?)

Quote:

CSU - unchanged

PCU - Pennyslvania's third I-A school gets the spot in the MAC now occupied by Buffalo.

I take it that Temple is stuck in the Atlantic 10/CAA for all sports except hockey?

Quote:

ISUI - see IUPUI

Well, given that this school has a Nineteenth Century founding date, and is a land grant in the most populous city in the state (and the state capitol), plus an on-campus medical school (IU's medical school is likely at Kokomo, Gary, or South Bend) I suspect that it will have a student body to rival Michigan State, Minnesota-Twin Cities, or Ohio State. I think this Indiana State would more likely replace Purdue in the Big Ten. In fact, is is possible that Indiana could be in the MAC or even Missouri Valley/Gateway.

Quote:

Minn State/UND/USD - In I-AA Missouri Valley/Gateway with North Dakota and South Dakota. Minnesota State and Montana are generally regarded to be the next schools in the WAC.

Utah - unchanged, but Utah State is still in I-AA GWFC and the Mid-Con.

Would Utah State be in Logan, Orem, Cedar City, or St. George?

Quote:

Wyoming State - stays in I-AA Big Sky with Wyoming.

I would have thought that Wyoming would be in the Big Sky, but Wyoming State in the Division II Rocky Mountain

Quote:

Idaho State - takes Boise State's place in the WAC. BSU is in the Big Sky.

That one sounds about right. But you forgot about OUMUC and the New Jersey schools.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:58 pm 
Junior
Junior

Here are a few more:

Texas State University (Denton):

North Texas State University in 1967 merges with Texas University for Women and (Historically Black) Texas College, and founds a medical and dental school and a law school ten years early.

University of Illinois Flames(Chicago, Dekalb, Decatur, Rock Island) Illinois Tech University Fighting Illini (Urbana-Champaign), Illinois State University Salukis(Carbondale, Edwardsville, East Saint Louis, Springfield):

Illinois Tech is the state's technical/engineering school, modeled on Georgia Tech. Law school specializes in environmental regulatory law and intelectual property rights. less than 20,000 students, but more than half are in graduate programs. Home of the state's elite honors applied sciences program. Only Georgia Tech, MIT, and Florida International as colleges hold more patents.

Illinois State is the state's Land Grant school, founded in 1872. Law school speciallises in Rural Land Use, Probate, and Electoral Law. Ventinary School focuses on farm animals and especially poultry. Oldest state medical school speicallizes in rural medicine. Edwardsville campus focuses on aquaculture, East Saint Louis is a stand alone medical campus (medical schools are also in Springfield and Carbondale) and Springfield is the state's Public Affairs campus. Student body of the main campus is ca. 35,000 students. Total student body is ca.60,000

University of Illinois is the state's Liberal Arts/Comprehensive university, with a student body population of ca.45,000, but was founded in 1923 from the merger of Medical College of Illinois, Adalai Stevenson School of Law, and several area normal schools and community colleges/ Plays football at Soldier Field and now that the Bulls and Blackhawks have moved into the United Center has Chicago Stadium all to itself of basketball and the state's only Division 1 hockey program. Second largest medical school in the country has branch campuses in Decatur, DeKalb, and Rock Island.

University of New Mexico (Santa Fe):

New Mexico founds a consolidated Liberal Arts-Comprehensive/Land Grant college. New Mexico State is known as Southern New Mexico. New Mexico-Las Vegas is instead New Mexico State.

Nevada State University Silver Bears(Carson City):

Liberal Arts/Comprehensive (With law school and PhD level college of Education) founded at the same time as UNR.

Last edited by benbreeck on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:29 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

According to this topic, is there anything particular or something?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:47 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I would like to try the experiment, but with different colleges.

Let's say that Ohio State University and Louisiana State University are made the liberal arts/law school flagships of their respective states instead of being that in addition to being the land grant schools of those states.
Let's say that instead, Ohio University (currently in the MAC) is made the land grant university for Ohio, and the University of Louisiana-Lafayette is made the land grant for the state of Louisiana, and Louisiana Tech is split from the University of Louisiana system, and is based on a curriculum similar to the Georgia Institute of Technology. Now, where do you put Ohio University and the University of Louisiana? Louisiana Tech??
I'll throw one more idea as food for thought: there is an old Supreme Court case (methinks its Dartmouth vs State of New Hampshire) that came about because the governor of New Hampshire tried to take over Dartmouth University and make it a state college before the Supreme Court stepped in and told him he couldn't do it. Let's say the Supreme Court told the New Hampshire governor he was allowed to take over Dartmouth University, and Dartmouth was made the land grant for the state of New Hampshire. Does Dartmouth still join the Ivy League??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:26 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Actually, the University of New Hampshire was created in association with Dartmouth College [from the Wikipedia article on the University of New Hampshire]:

"History
In 1866, the university was first incorporated as the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in Hanover, New Hampshire, in association with Dartmouth College."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_New_Hampshire

Its weird how Cornell became the land grant for New York, Princeton almost became the land grant for New Jersey, with Rutgers taking that designation away from them, MIT actually was the land grant for Massachussetts until the Massachussetts Agricultural College was established in Amherst years later, which eventually became Massachussetts State College then eventually its present day name of UMass (University of Massachussetts). Dartmouth has an association with the land grant university in New Hampshire. Its like the Ivy League schools have land grant envy or something.

Sorry for the digression.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:24 pm 
Junior
Junior

Here are a few more of them:

Southern Michigan University Tigers (Jackson): Historic Normal (Founded in the Nineteenth Century). Ph.D. Level Colleges of Education, Humanities, and Pure Mathematics (But not Engineering, Too Close to Ann Arbor). Student Body is between Eastern Michigan and Grand Valley State in size.

Port Huron State University Hurons (Port Huron, Michigan). Historic Normal with a special arraingment with local indian tribes allowing them the use of the nickname in return for free tuition to tribal members. Historic rivalries with Oakland University, Eastern Michigan, and Central Michigan. Student Body Ca.15,000.

Kent State University of Michigan Lakers (Grand Rapids): Ferris College went bankrupt in 1953 and wasn't bailed out as Ferris State, Nor was Grand Valley State as we know it founded. Instead, an alumnus of Wayne State living in Grand Rapids donated some of his property north of Downtown to start a campus there in 1963.

It grew quickly, and had grown to 500 acres and 17,000 students in 1975, when the name was changed from Wayne State-Grand Rapids to Kent State (But it remained in the Wayne State System, and shared Wayne State's Regents). In 1986 the university added its own law and medical schools. Today, it has ca. 35,000 students, plus another 4500 in capuses in Holland, Muskegnum, and Lundington. It Sells out Lubbers Stadium (55,000 capacity) in football and Track and Field, and shares plays Basketball and Hockey in Van Randel Arena (Which it shares with the Arena League Van Grand Rapids Rampage).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:28 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Here are a few more of them:

Southern Michigan University Tigers (Jackson): Historic Normal (Founded in the Nineteenth Century). Ph.D. Level Colleges of Education, Humanities, and Pure Mathematics (But not Engineering, Too Close to Ann Arbor). Student Body is between Eastern Michigan and Grand Valley State in size.

This is cool. I have often conjectured about a "Southern Michigan University" and also often conjectured that it be located in Jackson. Jackson is one of only 2 metropolitan areas in the state that do not have a state university. The other is Niles-Benton Harbor, but there is a branch of Western Michigan University on the campus of Lake Michigan College, which is a junior college/community college. When Michigan became a state, Jackson, which had more political pull at the time in the Michigan Legislature were given the choice of one of two institutions. Either the state penitentionery or the University of Michigan. They chose the former as they thought the state pen had more economic and growth potential. They were obviously wrong. Jackson is kind of a depressed industrial town, and a state university would do it some good. There is no Southern Michigan, and SMU would be perfect for Jackson.

Quote:
Port Huron State University Hurons (Port Huron, Michigan). Historic Normal with a special arraingment with local indian tribes allowing them the use of the nickname in return for free tuition to tribal members. Historic rivalries with Oakland University, Eastern Michigan, and Central Michigan. Student Body Ca.15,000.

The only thing I would disagree with here is the "Hurons". Eastern Michigan had that name, and dropped it because they asked the Huron Tribe and they didn't approve, so EMU became the Eagles. Also, I have thought that since there is a Lake Superior State University, there should also be a Lake Huron State, a Lake Erie State, and a Lake Michigan State. To me, there are 4 metropolitan center cities in Michigan without a state university, and 1 big micropolitan center. They are:

Jackson: Home of the state pen

Port Huron: which is a sattlelite metro city and part of the greater Detroit metro area and would be its own metro area if it wasn't too close to Detroit.

Monroe: another sattlelite metro city and its own technical metro area, albeit a small one, but also a part of the greater Detroit metro area, and is half way between Detroit and Toledo and has a lot of ties with Toledo as much as Detroit.

Niles-Benton Harbor: just north of South Bend metro area, yet is its own metro area on the shores of Lake Michigan. Its a part of what is called Michiana and South Bend, IN is the capital of Michiana.

Traverse City: in Northwest Lower Peninsula, and a big tourist and summer home town.

So to recap, I would create 5 new state universities in Michigan with the following names and locales:

Jackson: Southern Michigan University

Port Huron: Lake Huron State University

Monroe: Lake Erie State University

Benton Harbor: Lake Michigan State University

Traverse City: Grand Traverse State University

Last edited by metropolitan on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:02 am 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
I would like to try the experiment, but with different colleges.

Let's say that Ohio State University and Louisiana State University are made the liberal arts/law school flagships of their respective states instead of being that in addition to being the land grant schools of those states.
Let's say that instead, Ohio University (currently in the MAC) is made the land grant university for Ohio, and the University of Louisiana-Lafayette is made the land grant for the state of Louisiana, and Louisiana Tech is split from the University of Louisiana system, and is based on a curriculum similar to the Georgia Institute of Technology. Now, where do you put Ohio University and the University of Louisiana? Louisiana Tech?

Ohio University: Big East, for the same reason Iowa State is oriented more towards the Big Twelve than Big Ten. (Though to be sure, OU-OSU would be as big a rivalry as UI-ISU)

Miami University (Ohio): Conference USA

Louisiana-Lafayette: Conference USA

Louisiana Tech: SEC or Big Twelve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:19 am 
Junior
Junior

Snip.

Quote:

So to recap, I would create 5 new state universities in Michigan with the following names and locales:
And since you won't bite, I'll give you my guesses as to conference affiliation

Quote:

Jackson: Southern Michigan University

Division 1A: MAC

Quote:

Port Huron: Lake Huron State University
Division 1AA: Horizon League/Gateway

Quote:

Monroe: Lake Erie State University
Division 2, GLIAC, Division 1 Hockey

Quote:

Benton Harbor: Lake Michigan State University
Division 2. GLVC No football Division 1 Hockey

Quote:
Traverse City: Grand Traverse State University
Division 2. GLIAC or Northern Sun, Division 1 Hockey.

Kent State University of Michigan: Division 1A, Big East (Along with Wayne State (rivalry with Kent State caused them to return to division 1 in the 70s), and Marshal, South Florida didn't get an invite, and played the spoiler for Cincinatti and Louisville's attempts to leave Conference USA.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:04 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Do all of the universities (except Syracuse) mentioned in this topic really exist? I just ask you guys this question to be sure of it, just in case.

John

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:48 pm 
Junior
Junior

Most of them, (Except for the Michigan schools,) they are just changed a little bit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:59 pm 
Junior
Junior

This post is to extend the game and add colleges from fictional cities in the universe of DC Comics.

Metropolis: Delaware, Southeastern Sussex County Around OTL's Indian River Bay (Called the Hobbes River in the DCU.) New Troy (the main borough) is an island in Indian River Bay, with Bakerline on the Northern Shore (At Real life's Oak Orchard, Park Ridge the Center peninsula, Queensland is Holt's Landing State Park, and Hell's Gate and Saint Martin the northern and southern halves of Delaware Seashore State Park. Total population is ca. 10,000,000 people, though the Delaware state constitution was ammended in 1887 (Two years after the creation of the "Greater Southern Delaware Metropolis") forbidding existing cities from annexing new land without a plebicite in the annexed area. This, plus extremely restrictive state rural zoning laws until true legislative redistricting in the 1960s has meant that Greater Metropolis has never reached north of Georgetown and instead has sprawled west and south into Maryland (Completely changing the charecter of the Eastern Shore, particularly Worcester, Wicomico, and Dorchester counties.)

University of Metropolis (UMet): Municipally run. Seven Campuses, Four (Two on New Troy, one each in Hell's Gate and Saint Martin) are Doctoral Extensive, The other three (In Queensland, Bakerline, and Park Ridge) are Doctoral !ntensive. Total student body is Ca. 105,000 plus 75,000 students in eighteen community and junior colleges that are part of the UMet system. UMet-Hypersector (Eastern New Troy) shares football stadium with NFL Metropolis Meteors. Third largest employer in Metropolis after LexCorp and S.T.A.R. Labs.

Delaware Instiute of Techonolgy (Delaware Tech): Founded in the 1960s from the merger of Delaware State University at Metropolis, Delaware State Teachers College, and Metropolis State Technological and Porfessional Institute. Located in Western New Troy Island. Total Student Body is ca.33,000. (Trivia: Largest HBCU by student body in the DCU. That's right, in 1938, Superman fought crime in a Jim Crow town.) Shares on-campus football stadium with NFL Metropolis Metroes.

Saint Xavier University of Delaware. Private, Catholic school. Campuses in New Troy and Queensland.

Gotham City: New Jersey. Southern Ocean County, In Real Life Mystic Island-Little Egg Harbor area. Population is between 4,000,000 and 6,000,000. The existance of Gotham City has changed the charecter of the Garden State, as the residents are more confident and have less reason to feel that they are in essentially a massive suburb of Philladelphia and New York City.

Gotham City Univrersity(GCU): Private, Catholic, Jesuit. Historically male, but went Co-ed in the 1970s. Historic Rivalries with Saint Xavier of Delaware, Villanova, Fordham, and Boston College.

College of Notre Dame of New Jersey: Private, Catholic, Jesuit. Historically Female, but went Co-ed in the 1970's. Historic rivalries with Vassar, Radford and Mary Washington. Claims to be over 100 years older than the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana.

Gotham City State University: (GCSU) Historic Normal founded in the 1800s. student body of ca.23,000 makes it the largest state university outside the Rutgers system. Plays NCAA division 1 Baseball and Hockey, but NCAA Division 3 Basketball and NAIA Football.

Rutgers University-University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey at Gotham City. Primarily a commuter and graduate school (only public law school in Gotham), but is slowly building it's undergraduate programs.