NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:55 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

How is a private university taken over by the state? Is there only one way to do it, or more than one way??

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:20 pm 

Quote:
How is a private university taken over by the state? Is there only one way to do it, or more than one way??

A superb question D&Dfan, which may be a future matter that will garner more attention. I do not profess, by any means, to be any kind of expert on this, but do have some comments.

Deviating somewhat, last year, when the Supreme Court held that via eminent domain that governmental entities can take private property (land) to be used for private purposes if viewed for the public good, is going to have a lot of future implications unless legislative bodies enact on the issue otherwise. Of course, no situation has emerged yet whereby a private higher education institution has been involved. This scenario is focused on private to private transactions, but theoretically a situation could emerge whereby the state is a facilitator in forcing a transition. Be that as it may, I doubt we would see an exchange for the same general purpose between private educational groups.

Prior situations, in multiple states, have resulted in former private higher educational institutions becoming public. These, for the most part, have been secular colleges who have requested state take-overs by their Boards of Trustees due to institutions not being able to maintain financial stability as they currently exist. Colleges functioning under the umbrella of governing religious bodies, would not have the independence to seek state ownership on their own. Of course, the state is under no obligation to accept or maintain the institution as it has traditionally existed. Relieving prior debt may be a negotiated matter in the state assuming ownership. The maintaining of the current faculty and administrative staff may not be automatically assumed. Particularly, the state will usually change administrative staff deeply. Faculty may need to satisfy new criteria as well. Differing states have varying bodies, legislative committees, and procedures for incorporating previously private institutions. While legislatures and the state's governor would always be involved to differing degrees in such decisions, state colleges come under varying governance schemes depending on the state involved. Some (state college systems) function more independently than others. Approval and sponsoring processes are always layered with state agencies.

The University System of Georgia is one state governmental agency that has a history of absorbing a former private college. For instance, Gordon Military College (Barnesville, GA) in 1972 entered the system and re-named Gordon College. In South Carolina, Lander University (Greenwood) was previously private and is now state affiliated.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:35 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Not that this is directly related to your question, but there have been a number of universities that were founded and funded by cities that were eventually taken over by states or partially or predominantly became state universities.

The following were initially (or a good part of their early history), and for many years, municipal universities:

*University of Cincinnati
*University of Toledo
*University of Akron (I think that is correct)
*University of Louisville
*University of Nebraska at Omaha (Originally the Municipal University of Omaha)
*Washburn University (Topeka, KS -- I think this may be the best non CUNY case of strong municipal involvement from the City of Topeka that still exist today but I believe the State of Kansas has an interest/funding in the school)
*City University of New York system (formerly CCNY)
*University of Arkansas at Fort Smith

There may be more but I don't know the history of other schools to know for sure.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:20 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Not that this is directly related to your question, but there have been a number of universities that were founded and funded by cities that were eventually taken over by states or partially or predominantly became state universities.

The following were initially (or a good part of their early history), and for many years, municipal universities:

*University of Cincinnati
*University of Toledo
*University of Akron (I think that is correct)
*University of Louisville
*University of Nebraska at Omaha (Originally the Municipal University of Omaha)
*Washburn University (Topeka, KS -- I think this may be the best non CUNY case of strong municipal involvement from the City of Topeka that still exist today but I believe the State of Kansas has an interest/funding in the school)
*City University of New York system (formerly CCNY)
*University of Arkansas at Fort Smith

There may be more but I don't know the history of other schools to know for sure.

I am pretty sure both UMKC (Kansas City University) and Wichita State (University of Wichita) were the same way.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:01 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Yep, you're right SportsKC about Wichita State as it was for over 30 years known as the Municipal University of Wichita.

UMKC was originally known as the University of Kansas City. It was a private university funded by local businesses. The history that I read didn't indicate anything about the City of Kansas City being involved with the funding and/or jurisdiction of UKC. 40 years ago it was taken over by the University of Missouri system.

These municipal universities are the beginnings of the concept of Urban/Metropolitan Research University. Some were originally city universities, some originally state regional normal schools, some were junior colleges, community colleges, and some were private institutions.

Last edited by metropolitan on Wed May 17, 2006 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:39 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Thanks for the correction on UMKC. Wasn't for sure. Pretty sad I didnt know the history of one of my alma mater's system schools.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:12 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

A ha. So you're a Truman Tiger?

Or did you go to UMSL or did you go to UM-Rolla?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:37 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
A ha. So you're a Truman Tiger?

Or did you go to UMSL or did you go to UM-Rolla?

Tiger. Thats why I hate on your Cornhuskers ;D

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:44 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Cool. Good for you.

Like I said before. One of my favorite rivalries is NU-Mizzou.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:50 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Cool. Good for you.

Like I said before. One of my favorite rivalries is NU-Mizzou.

I was just joking about that. But MU-NU is my second favorite after the KU series of course.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The University of Pittsburgh was a private institution until 1966 when it became 'state-related'. I do not know if this was because of some budetary crisis or not though.

The other 'state-related universities are Temple, PSU, and Lincoln.

The state universites are essentially the PSAC Division 2 schools such as Slippery Rock, Kutztown, Clarion, etc.