Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:19 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Land Grant School Reform
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:36 pm 
Junior
Junior

There are several state university campuses throughout the nation designated as land grant campuses, but either don't offer Agriculture minors, or else have much larger and more developed research farms on other campuses in the state.

I think that those campuses should get the "Land Grant" designation, and "State Flagship" recognition that designation provides.

Here are my candidates by state:

Arkansas: Arkansas-Monticello returns to its old name of Arkansas A&M University

California: U.C.-Davis and U.C.-Riverside become the main campuses of the newly formed California A&M University system. Other campuses include CAMU-Fresno (Fresno State) CAMU-San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly-SLO) CAMU-Pomona(Cal Poly Pomona) and the newly founded CAMU-Imperial Valley

Georgia: Given that Georgia handed off it's Agricultural Education mission to the community college system as soon as it was formed, and several of them then grew into state universities, I would create the Georgia A&M system, consisting of the former Georgia Southern, Georgia Southwestern State, Macon State, Valdosta State, Clayton College and State University, and Augusta State, plus the Historically Black Land Grant For Valley State. The main campus of this system would be GAMU-Statesboro.

Hawaii: Hawaii-Hilo, where the research farms are actually located, would become Hawaii State University.

Maine: The University System of Maine is a mess. Maine-Orono is the designated flagship, but Southern Maine has more students, an on campus Law School (UMaine's is in Augusta), an in town Medical School (UMaine's is in Farmington and is far smaller) and spends far more research dollars. In addition, all the research farms are in and around Machias and Presque Isle. Why is there no call for Husky Atheletes to play in the Atlantic Ten, CAA, America East, or NEC? It can't be the lack of residential campus culture: The diference in dorm capacity between Maine-Orono and Southern Maine is only 50.

To put this in perspective, imagine that New Mexico State plays Division 1 Sports, but the research farms are in Roswell and the Vet School is in Gaithersburg, while New Mexico-Albuquerque with on campus law and medical schools plays in Division 3 in most sports except for a few NAIA ones.

I would make Maine-Machias Maine A&M, Southern Maine Maine Tech, and Maine-Augusta Maine State.

Questions? Comments? Flames?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:37 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
There are several state university campuses throughout the nation designated as land grant campuses, but either don't offer Agriculture minors, or else have much larger and more developed research farms on other campuses in the state.

I think that those campuses should get the "Land Grant" designation, and "State Flagship" recognition that designation provides.

Here are my candidates by state:

Arkansas: Arkansas-Monticello returns to its old name of Arkansas A&M University

California: U.C.-Davis and U.C.-Riverside become the main campuses of the newly formed California A&M University system. Other campuses include CAMU-Fresno (Fresno State) CAMU-San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly-SLO) CAMU-Pomona(Cal Poly Pomona) and the newly founded CAMU-Imperial Valley

Georgia: Given that Georgia handed off it's Agricultural Education mission to the community college system as soon as it was formed, and several of them then grew into state universities, I would create the Georgia A&M system, consisting of the former Georgia Southern, Georgia Southwestern State, Macon State, Valdosta State, Clayton College and State University, and Augusta State, plus the Historically Black Land Grant For Valley State. The main campus of this system would be GAMU-Statesboro.

Hawaii: Hawaii-Hilo, where the research farms are actually located, would become Hawaii State University.

Maine: The University System of Maine is a mess. Maine-Orono is the designated flagship, but Southern Maine has more students, an on campus Law School (UMaine's is in Augusta), an in town Medical School (UMaine's is in Farmington and is far smaller) and spends far more research dollars. In addition, all the research farms are in and around Machias and Presque Isle. Why is there no call for Husky Atheletes to play in the Atlantic Ten, CAA, America East, or NEC? It can't be the lack of residential campus culture: The diference in dorm capacity between Maine-Orono and Southern Maine is only 50.

To put this in perspective, imagine that New Mexico State plays Division 1 Sports, but the research farms are in Roswell and the Vet School is in Gaithersburg, while New Mexico-Albuquerque with on campus law and medical schools plays in Division 3 in most sports except for a few NAIA ones.

I would make Maine-Machias Maine A&M, Southern Maine Maine Tech, and Maine-Augusta Maine State.

Questions? Comments? Flames?

Actually, Ben, you're running with an old topic I introduced here a looong time ago. Here's my thoughts:
UC-Berkeley will not be happy to lose UC-Davis, but it will kick, scream, and probably bite before it allows two campuses to leave its system. So, allow me to alter your plan some. Form the new California A&M system with UC-Davis as the flagship. UC-Davis would remain the land grant school for the state of California (don't care what UC-Berkeley thinks of this). Take some campuses out of the California State University system and put them in the new California A&M system. Fresno State is one campus that comes to mind. Leave the rest of the CSU campuses in the CSU sytem.
As for Arkansas, either merge Arkansas-Monticello with Arkansas State (if that's where Arkansas houses its ag programs) or just give Arkansas State all of the land grant programs that Arkansas has (Arkansas would still be the flagship university for the state of Arkansas).
As for Georgia, leave as is. UGa does well being the land grant school for the state of Georgia, while Georgia Tech is pretty much the flagship university for the state, believe it or not.
Somewhat agree with you on Maine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:02 pm 
Junior
Junior

Here are a few more:

Minnesota:

Minnesota-Twin Cities has no research farms, and no graduate agriculture programs. I say Minnesota-Crookston (Home of Minnesota's research farms) secedes from UMn to become the flagship campus of Minnesota State University, and then applies to the Big Ten.

Tennessee: Tennessee-Martin (Home of UT's research farms) is renamed Tennessee A&M University. Alternatevely, Middle Tennessee State (Which actually has on campus research farms) recieves that designation.

Whichever becomes TennAMU applies to the SEC.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:52 pm 
Junior
Junior

Bump.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:38 pm 
Junior
Junior

I would love to see UC Davis become a flagship. Also fresno state, and cal poly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:10 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:

As for Arkansas, either merge Arkansas-Monticello with Arkansas State (if that's where Arkansas houses its ag programs) or just give Arkansas State all of the land grant programs that Arkansas has (Arkansas would still be the flagship university for the state of Arkansas).

Except that Monticello is on the other side of the state from Fayetteville AND Jonesboro.

Last edited by benbreeck on Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.