NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:30 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:25 pm 
Should there be a playoff for 1-A?

The answer: if the current system of a BCS championship game goes on, then it is an unquestionable YES!! The present system is a joke. How in the world can you identify two teams as the best in the nation and have only those two determining who is #1???? Think of all the teams in different conferences playing completely different schedules and completely different strentghs of schedule.

Either expand the system from 2 to a more meaningful number (16 is too much, 4 too little, so IMHO it's 8) or dump the whole thing and go back to the days when the polls determined who was #1. Keep in mind under those circumstances how many New Years Day bowls would be involved in the process.

One last word: if there was a 1-A play-off and I were in charge of college football, I'd outlaw conference championship games. Why? With so few teams in a play-off, I'd hate to see a weaker conference school get into a play-off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:38 am 
Here is my suggestion for a “pseudo playoff”, that would also allow for the bowls to survive:

1. Keep all of the existing bowls. However have them all return to being specific conference tie-ins. (let each conference negotiate the best place to send their champ).
2. After all of the bowls have been played, re-run a BCS style ranking system.
3. Take the top 4 ranked teams who were bowl WINNERS, and send them to a “final 4” style championship.
4. Play the semifinals and final to determine a national champion. The site of these games (whether it is 1 site for all 3 games, or 3 different sites does not really matter) can be bid on by different cities each year.

I think this would maintain the significance of the bowls, and also allow for an undisputed national champ. I would imagine that the college football “final 4” would create quite a bit of money.

If all bowl games are played by New Years, you would only looking at extending the season to mid-January. It should be done before most schools are back in classes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:22 am 
Junior
Junior

Yes, but they should start it out with the non-BCS teams and work their way into the "big-time" schools, bowls, and conferences. Otherwise, stubbornness of the bowl poobahs cannot be defeated anytime soon.

NIT-type proposal for I-A

Last edited by byufan227 on Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Great article, BYUFan. I completely agree. Tournaments are compelling. Each game means something because the winner moves on & the loser goes home.

Currently the bowls are meaningless exhibition games except for the championship game. The rest of the games are of interest to fans of the schools involved & to the networks. They serve as New Year's Day programming filler & as background noise to the clink of glasses at Christmas & New Year's parties.

The winner of a NIT football tournament could stick out its chest & say we actually won something, while the big guys could argue over who finished first in the polls. What competitor reaaly dreams of getting the most votes rather than winning it all on the field? ::)

Well . . . maybe politicians. ;D

Last edited by friarfan on Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:26 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

NOTICE: read the first few paragraphs. if you are interested keep reading. dont let the length of this post scare you off.

i am for a playoff and i think it could work. i want to see a true champion crowned and i want the minor conferences to have a shot at winning the NC.

i like the idea of a playoff involving 8 teams, but not in a straight-forward way. it is a fact that nonBCS schools have a built-in disadvantage when it comes to bcs-like formulas. it is not possible for their strength of schedule to rival that of the BCS schools. these nonBCS teams would not think twice about joining a BCS conference if given the opportunity for the benefits far outweigh any of being a nonBCS school. so basically there is an inherent bias against nonBCS schools about which little can be done. a formula that does not include strength of schedule loses alot of its credibility as an accurate measure of a team's ability.

having said that, i am for an 8 team playoff that amounts to a 4 team playoff with 2 rounds of play-in games. of the 8 teams, a maximum of 3 slots are open to nonBCS schools IF they are in the top 17 (top 85% of 1A schools). a minimum of 5 slots are open to the top BCS schools, and if 1 or all nonBCS slots remain unfilled, BCS schools fill those slots.

just using my end of season rankings last year as a reference, the following 8 schools would be included...

1 #01 lsu
2 #02 usc
3 #03 oklahoma
4 #04 miami ohio
5 #05 georgia
6 #06 miami florida
7 #07 michigan
8 #13 boise st

the third highest nonBCS school was utah at #21, so their slot is filled by michigan.

i will assume the higher rated team always wins for simplicity.

week 1
---------
8 boise st @ 5 georgia
7 michigan @ 6 miami florida
1-4 bye
traditional bowls as normal

week 2
---------
6 miami florida @ 3 oklahoma
5 georgia @ 4 miami ohio
1-2 bye

week 3
---------
BCS BOWL 1: 1 lsu V 4 miami ohio
BCS BOWL 2: 2 usc V 3 oklahoma

week 4
---------
BCS BOWL 3: #08 florida st V #09 ohio st
BCS BOWL 4: 1 lsu V 2 usc
CONSOLATION: 4 miami ohio @ 3 oklahoma

using this format:
- nonBCS schools have a fair but not overly skewed chance at playing for the NC.

- the top 2 teams only play 1 more game than they already do.

-the lower seeded the playoff teams are, the more they have to prove they belong in the playoff.

- the 4th BCS BOWL would include the two highest ranked teams not included in the playoff.

-the consolation game gives the two best losers a chance to end on a high note and in third place at the end of the season.

-the consolation game and the first two play-in games would be home games for the higher seeded team. this would reduce traveling costs and give the higher seeded team revenue from the home game. i think a portion of that revenue should go to the lower ranked team.

-traditional bowls would not lose much interest because national attention is normally focused mainly on the top bowls. the rest of the bowls are of interest to the fans of the two teams who participate in the bowls and of fleeting interest to college football fans in general who just like watching football and are trying to get their last fix of the season. i think bowls are great because they give a larger number of teams a chance to end their season on a high note AND produce revenue.

-a 16 team playoff would water down the regular season. an 8 team playoff partially does that as well. a 4 team playoff doesnt ruin the regular season but isnt inclusive enough. a mix of the two as i propose i think is a wonderful compromise. it gives the two best teams the least hindered path to the championship, which is ideal in my opinion and the playoff closest to what we have today.

i know that some people dont like the BCS/nonBCS differentiation. we really could do away with it and replace it with a relative conference strength standing. we could take the 6 strongest conferences and they would be the politically correct version of the BCS conferences today (and most likely would contain the 6 present BCS conferences almost every year).

i am posting this proposal for your thoughts and opinions. i have been sharing this with other like-minded 1Ancaa football fans and my proposal has evolved over many conversations to a very strong idea, in my opinion. i say this so you know i didnt just pull this out of thin air. much thought and debate has gone into my playoff proposal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:29 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

that was a great article byufan. sounds like a wonderful idea to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

It's an idea whose time has come. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:39 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Moved to BCS Banter Forum: 1/4/2004

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.