NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:13 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: NEW BCS
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:53 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

NCAA Division I-A, AP Top 25:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings?poll=1

NCAA Division I-A, ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings?poll=2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:32 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The 62 voters for the 2004 Associated Press college football poll per http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/08/14/sports1205EDT0410.DTL

John Adams, The Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel;
Elton Alexander, The Plain Dealer, Cleveland;
Neil Amato, The Herald-Sun, Durham, N.C.;
Tony Barnhart, Atlanta Journal and Constitution;
Steve Batterson, Quad City (Iowa) Times;
Joe Biddle, The Tennessean, Nashville;
Kirk Bohls, Austin (Texas) American Statesman;
B.G. Brooks, Rocky Mountain News, Denver;
Jimmy Burch, Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram;
Jim Carty, The Ann Arbor (Mich.) News;
Jimmy Cefalo, WPLG-TV, Miami; Bob Condotta, Seattle Times;
Chuck Cooperstein, KESN-FM Radio, Arlington, Texas;
Rob Daniels, News & Record of Greensboro (N.C.);
Barker Davis, The Washington Times;
Doug Doughty, Roanoke (Va.) Times;
Charles Durrenberger, Arizona Daily Star, Tucson;
Pat Forde, The Courier-Journal, Louisville, Ky.;
Chris Fowler, ESPN; Paul Gattis, Huntsville (Ala.) Times;
Herb Gould, Chicago Sun-Times;
Tim Griffin, San Antonio Express-News;
Brian Hamilton, St. Paul (Minn.) Pioneer Press;
Todd Harmonson, The Orange County Register, Santa Ana, Calif.;
Doug Harris, Dayton (Ohio) Daily News;
Shawn Harrison, Logan (Utah) Herald Tribune;
Joseph Hawk, Las Vegas Review-Journal;
Matt Hayes, The Sporting News;
Bob Holt, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Little Rock;
Craig James, CBS; Mike Kern, Philadelphia Daily News;
Steve Kiggins, Casper (Wyo.) Star Tribune;
George Lehner, WTVN-AM, Columbus, Ohio;
Ferd Lewis, Honolulu Advertiser;
Ted Lewis, The Times-Picayune, New Orleans;
Tom Luicci, The Star-Ledger, Newark, N.J.;
Neal McCready, Mobile (Ala.) Register;
Tom Mulhern, Wisconsin State Journal, Madison;
John Niyo, Detroit News;
Neill Ostrout, Connecticut Post, Bridgeport;
Joe Person, The State, Columbia, S.C.;
Mike Prater, The Idaho Statesman, Boise;
Scott Rabalais, The Advocate, Baton Rouge, La.;
Dave Rahme, The Post-Standard, Syracuse, N.Y.;
Curt Rallo, The South Bend (Ind.) Tribune;
Ray Ratto, San Francisco Chronicle;
Kyle Ringo, Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera;
John Rohde, The Daily Oklahoman, Oklahoma City;
Steve Sipple, Lincoln (Neb.) Star Journal;
Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette;
Bob Thomas, Florida Times Union, Jacksonville;
Edgar Thompson, The Palm Beach (Fla.) Post;
Tommy Trujillo, Santa Fe (N.M.) New Mexican;
Mark Tupper, Decatur (Ill.) Herald & Review Bee;
Ken Tysiac, Charlotte (N.C.) Observer;
Mike Vega, The Boston Globe;
Mitch Vingle, Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette;
Michael Wallace, The Clarion-Ledger, Jackson, Miss.;
Joe Walljasper, Columbia (Mo.) Tribune;
Ryan White, The Oregonian, Portland;
Keith Whitmire, Dallas Morning News;
Jon Wilner, San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News;
Doug Wilson, Bloomington (Ind.) Herald-Times;
Scott Wolf, Los Angeles Daily News;
Chuck Woodling, Lawrence (Kan.) Journal-World

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
National notebook: Forget notion of playoff
Aug. 10, 2004
By Dennis Dodd
SportsLine.com Senior Writer
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/7566599

Delany: "You're not going to see a playoff in the next decade. In the BCS, every game really does matter. College football probably has the most vibrant regular season in sports. The conference races shape national landscape, culminating in a holiday football smorgasbord."

What's this guy smoking? We finally get to see the twisted logic that obstruts progress.

Every BCS game means something? Is he talking about BCS bowls? The only one that means anything is the championship game. Was his comment a Freudian slip & did he really mean regular season games for BCS teams? Probably. If so, no games mean anything after you have 2 losses. Every game really does matter?! I don't think so.

The conference races shape the national landscape? I agree. It's just too bad that the Bowl Championship Series doesn't simply take conference champions exclusively - as determined by the conferences themselves. No more BCS championship games featuring conference also-rans who have done nothing since they were eliminated from their conference races to demonstrate that they should be reconsidered for the Big Game.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:28 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Posted 8/19/2004 3:02 PM Updated 8/20/2004 3:12 AM
Changing directions on gridiron landscape
By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bonus/2004-08-19-cover_x.htm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:13 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

every game does matter using bcs-like formulas. losing any one game drastically hurts your chance to play for a championship, which makes the regular season very much like a playoff.

now, im not going to say im a big fan of the bcs formula, i think the people in charge of it are flakey when deciding what is important to the formula. and the inherent bias against minor conference teams should be almost completely too difficult for the minor schools to overcome.

i dont think using the conference championships as the first round in a playoff is the way to go though. one of my major arguments is that in the first round you could have lsu V georgia in one game, two top 5 teams, vying for a spot in the SECOND ROUND. in another game you could have two minor conference teams, probably not both in the top 25, playing also for a chance to make it to the second round. both lsu and georgia should have an easier route to the championship game than probably both minor conference teams. by playing one of the most difficult games in the FIRST ROUND, this idea for a playoff is all askew.

Last edited by lsuilike on Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:01 pm 
LSUILIKE -

I somewhat agree with you about the potential first round matchups (look at a Miami-FSU first round), but how would you then determine the matchup for playoffs?

Only the top-4?
Top-8?

Conferences are not going to want to give up the championship games otherwise 12 teams conferences would be too big and not enough money would be there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:03 am 
Freshman
Freshman

check out the thread "Playoff: Good Idea or Bad?" i go through how i think it should be done.

http://ncaasports.proboards10.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=football&thread=1071447542&start=15

Last edited by lsuilike on Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:10 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Sorting out the new BCS formula
Posted Wednesday, August 25, 2004
By Lindsey Willhite
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=38224182

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Joedadi, its difficult to put merit to your post or any of the countless national publications that keep referring to the Big East losing its best two football teams.

Yes Miami is gone, however, Va Tech, was not the second best Big East team and has not been since Mick Vick days. Miami was not necessarily the best BE team last year at certain times in the season.

I have followed your post many times and understand your support for Conf USA. The issue with Conf USA and MWC fans is blinded by desires of BCS membership.

If the BE loses BCS membership, there is about as much chance of snow ball in h*ell that Conf USA and MWC would every get any automatic consideration.

Additionally, taking 12 or any number of mid major teams do not make a BCS conference.

No Conf USA or MWC team has proved to this point that any current teams can carry a BCS conference.

The BE has put the current member conference champions in past major bowls prior to BCS, however, the Big East does have a lot to prove.

I disagree with your assessement of WVU. If WVU performs well this year and actually wins a BCS game, the Big East/ACC fiasco will be nothing but history. This will be true for any BE team that wins a BCS game.

One final point, if Va Tech wins the game saturday, I may rethink my position on BE losing two of its better football teams.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:14 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:

I have followed your post many times and understand your support for Conf USA. The issue with Conf USA and MWC fans is blinded by desires of BCS membership.

Lash, Joedadi really doesn't support Conf USA that much. I support it much more than he does. Joedadi does support the MAC quite a bit though.

Quote:

Additionally, taking 12 or any number of mid major teams do not make a BCS conference.

Then what the h*eck was the Big East doing when it grabbed midmajors Cincinnati, Louisville, and South Florida, who, I might add, was only a few years removed from I-AA?m CUSA shed no tears for USF.

Quote:

No Conf USA or MWC team has proved to this point that any current teams can carry a BCS conference.

Louisville has NOT demonstrated it can carry a BCS conference. Yet, it is in the Big East. Cincinnati has NOT demonstrated it can carry a BCS conference either. Ditto on USF. What is your point Lash?

Quote:

I disagree with your assessement of WVU. If WVU performs well this year and actually wins a BCS game, the Big East/ACC fiasco will be nothing but history. This will be true for any BE team that wins a BCS game.

I very seriously and strongly doubt that WVU can carry the Big East ala Miami or even VT. Syracuse has major problems to address before it can even think about becoming a regular bowl contender again, let alone carry the BE!!! I have my doubts on Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:50 am 
Junior
Junior

Quote:

Then what the h*eck was the Big East doing when it grabbed midmajors Cincinnati, Louisville, and South Florida, who, I might add, was only a few years removed from I-AA?m CUSA shed no tears for USF.

I agree with Lash on taking 12 mid-major teams does not make a BCS conference.

However, on the point of why the BE took Louisville, Cincy, and USF. It simply had to, and these were the best teams available that was closests to the BE footprint. They couldn't be a conference with 5 teams. They needed 8 to stay together. Louisville has some heritage. They have had some consistency in the last 10 years. UCincy and USF though, I do agree have some things to prove.

But I tend to think that with Miami and VT gone, that a team could rise to serve as a conference power and maybe be significant on the national level. Where there is loss, there could be opportunity, and maybe one of the BE teams could be promoted, garnering some good recruiting because a program moves up and has more visability with other powers gone.

In some ways its good to look at some of these schools prior to when the BE formed as a conference and look at how they did. Pitt has some tradition. Syracuse and WVU as well. These may be waking programs that could rise from where they once were because Miami and VT are not there dominating the BE noteriety. Still the BE does have something to prove and there are no guarantees.

Now on this BE vs. MWC vs. CUSA thing. One thing to keep in mind, the way that I understand it, is that there isn't going to be this competition for the 6th BCS conference seed spot. The way that I understand it is that there could be up to 8 earned automatic conference seeds. Even if the BE retains its auto seed, the MWC or the CUSA or the WAC or the MAC or even the Sun Belt could rise up and earn a 7th or 8th seed. The competition between the conference is only there when all 8 seeds are filled by the conferences. Then competition between the other non-BCS seed conferences intensifies as the 7th and 8th seeds are filled. The BE or the MWC or the CUSA getting a BCS bid doesn't necessarily preclude any other conference getting an auto bid unless all 8 auto seeds are filled.

I think the BE very well could retain their BCS bid -- though they need to prove some things.

I think that the MWC could obtain a BCS bid. So could CUSA, if some of their teams rise from their past, like Houston, or Tulsa rise further, USM continues. The WAC could also if the MWC doesn't raid them, and the MAC too if they keep Miami, Toledo, BGSU, NIU.

So this BE vs. MWC vs. CUSA competition thing isn't necessarily there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 38  Next