NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:21 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject: NEW BCS
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Just a memo here... you think a two-loss UCLA (figure USC might have a chance to beat the Bruins) would be considered over a one-loss Oregon?

Of course, I think 33% of the reason the Pac-10 can't break bigger bowls is because UCLA just does not travel people to bowl games. For all of Metro's musings about UCLA being a second flagship, they exhibit many commuter school characteristics.

I understand that the Fiesta has first choice past 1 v 2. If they're not saddled with Texas, they really have two open slots, and Oregon might well be one of them (vs Penn State, perhaps?). Since you could argue that there are better one-loss teams out there, and it doesn't help that Oregon is getting past the loss of their #1 QB for the year, that could be, um, fun to watch.

OTOH, everyone should get the chance to meet Haloti Ngata before he goes pro.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:00 pm 
Did anyone else notice that there isn't a single "old" member of the ACC in the top 25 ?

Miami (former BE)
Va Tech (former BE)
BC (former BE)

NOBODY out of Marland, Virginia, UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake, Ga Tech, Clemson, Fl. State.

Looks like Swofford was right to "seek help" back in 2003.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:50 pm 
Hey,Dave,not sure what your point is.Are you JUST NOW congratulating Swofford and the ACC for their successful raid on the BE?
Not only was it a gem in 2003,it's the gift that keeps on giving.ACC FB is much stronger with the 3 BE recruits.
Also,I am sure the ACC will always be grateful for the way Mike Tranghese mishandled that whole affair.
Anyway,it's sure nice to see that you are not holding a grudge 2 1/2 years later.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:29 pm 
Yeah, clearly the ACC management had a clear vision of where they were headed. The BE STILL DOESN'T. Nobody likes the curent set-up.

Clearly the all-sports set-up is better than the ugly hybrid that is the BE. Hopefully the Big East splits and gets rid of this Gavitt-plan mess as soon as a split is possible.

My point is that the ACC might REALLY be in trouble right now, if not for their successful expansion.

I grew up in PA, and am a Pitt fan, but I have no problem with Miami and Va Tech being in the ACC.
Miami belonged geographically with the ACC or SEC. Va Tech was maneuvered into the ACC by the political machinations of the Governor of Virginia, however they fit.

BC in the ACC seems silly, but they reacted like a rat jumping off a sinking ship, and the ACC did not have any other candidates for #12 that weren't in the BE/SEC (and nobody in their right mind would leave the ACC). IF the BE splits and regains stability as a conference (they may), I wonder if BC will regret their decision ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:28 am 
No regrets for BC as long the money keeps rolling in. They never did better than third in the BE until Miami and V. Tech left and they won't do any better than than third in the ACC with those teams around again. Settling for third or worse and the money makes them happy so you might as well leave them alone. They moved on, the ACC has moved on, and BE is moving on. Where their conference or their split conferences land is still in question though. Good luck to all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:03 pm 

I'm surprised that TCU wasn't listed as another team also under consideration, because it will meet the 9-win requirement and might move up into the top 12 in the BCS.

No, there's no chance that TCU would be picked, but I thought they might be mentioned so the BCS could claim to be including the non-guaranteed conferences.

Quote:
Link to BCS selection pool update from BCS site at http://www.bcsfootball.org/files/news051122.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:49 am 
Wasn't the 2001 BYU team "released" from BCS consideration prior to its first loss (at Hawaii)...

Is there a a candidate to give Notre Dame the "Iowa treatment" again this year? Too bad for the Pac-10 that their season won't conclude (UCLA-USC) until December 3rd and that they wouldn't have as many bowl teams as the Big Ten did...

Seriously, what could they do, announce that 6-5 Arizona State was going to play in the Sun Bowl? Doesn't quite have the same resonance as the Big Ten's five simultaneous announcements in 2002 (Citrus-Outback-Alamo-Sun-Music City) which theoretically left the possibility of an 11-1 Iowa team playing in the Motor City Bowl...

That being said, just as the 2002 Iowa team didn't play Ohio State, Oregon didn't play UCLA (would seem much more relevant if UCLA beats USC)...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:39 pm 
BCS poll out today,2004-2005(thru 1-26-05)number of top 25 BCS schools by conference;

1.SEC-10
2.Big 10-9
3.Big 12-8
4.ACC-8
5.Pac 10-6
6.BE-3
7.MWC-2
8.WAC-2
9.C-USA-1

MWC(2)+WAC(2)=4?
BE(3)+C-USA(1)=4?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next