NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:06 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:28 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

before i spout off my opinion of how the season should have ended, i just want to note how after reading the articles posted in the new bcs thread, how NO ONE likes the BCS. fans and media want a playoff while those in control are beginning to take the attitude of "screw you we tried to please you now we are just going to go back to the way things were."

anyways here is how the season should have ended...
16 team playoff!!!!
no one supports keeping the sanctity of the regular season more than me, but this is becoming more and more apparent to be the logical option 11 conference champs plus five at large. to those who say this allows second place teams to win the nc, i say look at the nfl and their wildcard system and see if anyone complains, this is pretty much the same thing.

i am trying to pick the bowl closest to home
here is the list i am choosing from
las vegas
independence
alamo
sun
liberty
gator
peach
holiday

#1 usc v. #16 north texas @ holiday bowl
#2 oklahoma v. #15 toledo @ alamo bowl
#3 auburn v. #14 pittsburgh @peach bowl
#4 texas v. #13 michigan @ sun bowl
#5 cal v. #12 iowa @ las vegas bowl
#6 utah v. #11 lsu @ liberty bowl
#7 georgia v. #10 louisville @ gator bowl
#8 va tech v. #9 boise st. @ independence bowl

2nd round
here is the list i am choosing from
fiesta
outback
cotton
capital one

#1 usc v. #8 va tech @ fiesta bowl
#2 oklahoma v. #10 louisville @ cotton bowl
#3 auburn v. #6 utah @ capital one bowl
#4 texas v. #5 cal @ outback bowl

semi finals

#1 usc v. #4 texas @ rose bowl
#2 oklahoma v. #3 auburn @ sugar bowl

finals
usc v. ok/auburn @ orange bowl

wouldnt that be a blast!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:41 pm 
A) Not EVERYONE favors a playoff, me among them. I wouldn't hate it, but I'm not for it. If there is one, I'd prefer a) 8 teams instead of 16, and b) don't use the bowls. At least, leave some rather decent bowls for those teams not in the playoffs.

B) Your scenario does create some interesting match-ups. UGA - Louisville, VT - BSU. It would've been cool to see that Michigan-Texas game.

Oh, wait...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:07 pm 
You'll never get a playoff if you don't use bowls. You'll never get a playoff if you don't have at least 16 teams.

The only problem you've got there Seahawk is that you've snuck Toledo and North Texas in there when they don't deserve to be there.

Just take the top 16 ranked teams.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:00 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

having all the conference champions creates a since of equality that is sorely lacking, plus it puts a tremendous amount of importance on actually winning your conference. also by having the sunbelt champion guaranteed a bid you place a lot of emphasis on finishing #1 b/c playing them is most essentially a first round bye whereas a team like toledo may try and put up a little bit of a fight.

plus, the majority of the time the best teams win there conference anyway. the team with the biggest complaint in my setup is tennessee, and they lost to notre dame at home and almost got beat by vandy and kentucky so they get no sympathy from me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:02 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

i will give the bcs credit though, they are doing a good job at getting conference champions to play each other. under the old system it would be impossible for certain conference champions to play each other now they have that possiblity. they dont always get it right, especially this year by not matching up auburn and utah, but its better than just hoping which is what we were left w/ under the old system.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:36 pm 

Quote:
having all the conference champions creates a since of equality that is sorely lacking, plus it puts a tremendous amount of importance on actually winning your conference. also by having the sunbelt champion guaranteed a bid you place a lot of emphasis on finishing #1 b/c playing them is most essentially a first round bye whereas a team like toledo may try and put up a little bit of a fight.

plus, the majority of the time the best teams win there conference anyway. the team with the biggest complaint in my setup is tennessee, and they lost to notre dame at home and almost got beat by vandy and kentucky so they get no sympathy from me.

What equality?! The non-BCS teams don't deserve to get in simply because they beat up on some easy conference teams.

IF they can get ranked in the top 16, then fine. Otherwise, nope.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:37 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Moved to BCS Banter Forum: 1/4/2004

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

There's a reason it's called "rank."

Mind you, those polls are just as good as the computer rankings, assuming the writers actually watch multiple games per weekend. Um, oops, about those writers...

(before our LSU fan gets going on this, an unpublished formula invites, well, you know)

You'd never know if Louisville is really worthy until you get there, and who knows how the undefeated Tulane team of mythology would fare.

There may be other ways to handle these issues (my dream scenario would be a regionalized system of promotion and relegation), but I suspect a league or conference setup has to be part of a solution.

Last edited by pounder on Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:30 pm 

Link to Post - Back to Top  IP: 12.216.234.87

GunnerFan
All-Star

[avatar]

ahazell@cityofgriffin.com [send pm]

Re: How the 2004 season should have ended
« Reply #9 on 1/4/2005 at 1:27pm »
[Quote] [Modify] [Delete]

Bison, assuming we're doing away with the BCS, who then constitutes the non-BCS conferences you're referring of? And if there is such a clear division in talent, why need a playoff at all? Simply allocate the two best teams going to a championship, since obviously we'd all be able to tell based on their conference and performance.

Oh, wait. That sounds familiar...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:15 pm 

Quote:
Bison, assuming we're doing away with the BCS, who then constitutes the non-BCS conferences you're referring of? And if there is such a clear division in talent, why need a playoff at all? Simply allocate the two best teams going to a championship, since obviously we'd all be able to tell based on their conference and performance.

Oh, wait. That sounds familiar...
]

The fairest way would be to have a 117 team playoff at the end of the season. But obviously that's not possible.

What then becomes the fairest way?

Obviously a playoff.

How big? 8 is too small, 32 is too big. 16 seems perfect to me.

Which 16 teams should get to go?

You say that if a team wins a conference, regardless of how weak that conference is, they should get to go?!

That's not fair to teams that are better but play in tougher conferences.

Obviously, the fairest way is to have a ranking system and send the 16 best teams to the playoff.

Bottom line: unless we can get a 117 team playoff at the end of the season, someone is always going to be left out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:24 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

so should college basketball invite the 64 best teams and say forget about the little guys? with the way the conference system works, the non-bcs, mid major, whatever you wanna call them will always have an uphill battle. automatic bids for conferences equalize this and gives everyone an equal opportunity to win their respective sports national title.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:43 pm 

Quote:
so should college basketball invite the 64 best teams and say forget about the little guys? with the way the conference system works, the non-bcs, mid major, whatever you wanna call them will always have an uphill battle. automatic bids for conferences equalize this and gives everyone an equal opportunity to win their respective sports national title.

That's because they have a 65 team tournament genius.

Football can't do that! 16 team would be stretching it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:29 am 
117 team playoff would be the fairest. It's not feasible to have a 7 game playoff, though.

I'm also sick of people trying to say that have a playoff of any sort ruins the regular season.

That's a bald faced lie. Do the NFL, NBA, and MLB suffer from having a playoff after their regular seasons?