NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:15 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:09 pm 
In light of history, I'm skeptical that the health of the BIG EAST is really in Louisville's long-term best interests or that they truly are "happy to be used in this manner"...the Big XII had bowl arrangements following the 1995 season even though divisional play did not begin until 1996...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:04 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

mid-major is a basketball term.

And when used as intended, it does not include CUSA, MWC, WAC, and certainly not the BE. The MAC and Sun Belt are the only I-A conferences that are considered "mid-majors."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
In light of history, I'm skeptical that the health of the BIG EAST is really in Louisville's long-term best interests or that they truly are "happy to be used in this manner"...the Big XII had bowl arrangements following the 1995 season even though divisional play did not begin until 1996...

It would seem that Louisville disagrees with you. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:04 am 
I guess we'll wait and see how long it takes before they become "too good" for the BIG EAST...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:15 am 

Quote:
mid-major is a basketball term.

And when used as intended, it does not include CUSA, MWC, WAC, and certainly not the BE. The MAC and Sun Belt are the only I-A conferences that are considered "mid-majors."

The BCS conferences are SEC, ACC, BXII, B10, and P10. This is common knowledge.

Where are you from? Africa?!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:43 am 
Joe Young (aka "Tom Hung"): "No, Utah"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

The BCS conferences are SEC, ACC, BXII, B10, and P10. This is common knowledge.

Where are you from? Africa?!

Now, now, Bisonfan, once again you're proving yourself to be a slow learner. So, we'll be patient with you. Repeat after me: B-I-G = BIG and E-A-S-T = East. Put them together and you have Big East, BCS conference #6.

Now we'll move on to geography. Nooo, the Earth is not flat. Yes, I know that it was common knowledge at one time, but information changes in this new internet age. And we now even know that the sun does not revolve around the earth. Isn't knowledge amazing.

Let's review today's new information.

1. There are 6 BCS conferences & #6 is the Big East. This is official, it is true, you can look it up.

2. The earth is not flat, it is round, & it revolves around the sun.

Nice job, good boy, now you can go out to recess. Play nice.

Last edited by friarfan on Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:11 pm 
The best two teams left in the Big East = Pitt and West Virgina.

Best two teams in the MWC = Utah and BYU.

Utah and BYU are better than Pitt and WV.

So if you want the BE to be a BCS conferece, then the MWC gets to be one too.

I don't think the BCS presidents are going to let 2 new conferences into the BCS.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If coaches and beat writers, all awash in their own jobs, can affect at least half of the data determining BCS championship opponents, then you, me, Bison, and even Pee Wee Herman can create our own method of determining champions and structuring college football. It's all similarly accountable. They all have as much value as playing off on X-box or Playstation to determine a true champion.

Heck, the internet allows all of us to live in our own little worlds anyway. Why stop with sports?

Last edited by pounder on Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:15 pm 
1) With respect to the actual topic of the thread, I do think it's rather, um, unseemly that the application of Louisville's BCS credits to the BE is being allowed as some one time thing. As asked before, should that mean that Miami and VT's rankings in the past should be disallowed? Or that Louisville should play in the Fiesta (personally, no, since they didn't play a BE schedule)?

2) It's all kind of moot anyway. The BE is in, the BCS is still here and politics will forever be a part of college football for the forseeable future. In the meantime, there's plenty o' game to be had!

3) Friar: Check your mail.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:58 pm 

Quote:
If coaches and beat writers, all awash in their own jobs, can affect at least half of the data determining BCS championship opponents, then you, me, Bison, and even Pee Wee Herman can create our own method of determining champions and structuring college football. It's all similarly accountable. They all have as much value as playing off on X-box or Playstation to determine a true champion.

Heck, the internet allows all of us to live in our own little worlds anyway. Why stop with sports?

It works if you get *many* voters because the crackpots will cancel each other out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
The best two teams left in the Big East = Pitt and West Virgina.

Best two teams in the MWC = Utah and BYU.

Utah and BYU are better than Pitt and WV.

So if you want the BE to be a BCS conferece, then the MWC gets to be one too.

I don't think the BCS presidents are going to let 2 new conferences into the BCS.

Bisonfan, I happen to agree with you. I don't think the Big East is a BCS caliber conference any more. But my opinion vs reality are 2 different things. Same with yours.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:23 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

<<2) It's all kind of moot anyway. The BE is in, the BCS is still here and politics will forever be a part of college football for the forseeable future. In the meantime, there's plenty o' game to be had!>>

Since the BE is in for 4 years, they won't get the benefit of Miami and VT when their auto bid comes up for review. And they will get the benefit of Louisville who will be a member at the time. So it is moot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:30 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

<<mid-major is a basketball term.

And when used as intended, it does not include CUSA, MWC, WAC, and certainly not the BE. The MAC and Sun Belt are the only I-A conferences that are considered "mid-majors." >>

<<The BCS conferences are SEC, ACC, BXII, B10, and P10. This is common knowledge.

Where are you from? Africa?! >>

What language do you use? Swahili? <g>
There are 6 BCS conferences. And because a conference is not a BCS conference does not mean it is a "mid-major." Your logic is the same as saying since CUSA is not a BCS conference is must be Division III!

Mid-major refers to the middle of the major conferences. That means roughly #11-20 of the 31 Division I conferences. By your logic there are 5 BCS conferences and 6 mid-majors with no "low-majors."

The term is frequently misused in basketball, but makes no sense in football.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:31 am 
Whatever.

5 BCS conferences, 7 non-bcs conferences.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next