NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:28 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Bowl Me Over"
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:33 pm 
There are currently only 54 bowl eligible teams available for the 28 bowls, and I'm rooting for:

Boston College (Syracuse)...

Hawaii (Northwestern)...

Michigan State (Hawaii)...

Memphis/Pittsburgh (South Florida)...

UAB/Cal (Southern Mississippi)...

Tulane (TCU)...

Louisville (Tulane)...

LSU (Arkansas)...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

>>UAB/Cal (Southern Mississippi)...
<<

UAB? what's that about?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:53 pm 
I will be rooting for UAB (and Cal) in their upcoming games against Southern Mississippi...I want to see a dearth of bowl-eligible teams and/or bowl games resorting to teams from the MAC and the Sun Belt...I also forgot to mention that if Nebraska loses to Colorado it becomes bowl-ineligible...I would also like to see the winner of the Big XII North (i.e. Iowa State) finish 6-6 and be bowl-ineligible...however, the Big XII North should produce two bowl-eligible teams regardless (Iowa State clinches the North with a Colorado loss to Nebraska, who would subsequently become bowl-eligible)...regardless, if there weren't enough teams eligible for bowl competition under the current guidelines, surely the NCAA would reinvoke the ".500 waiver," and certain teams (e.g. Hawaii, Michigan State, Northwestern) would meet said criteria and provide for an adequate number of bowl-eligible teams for the existing slots...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:03 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I just saw your post. I posted something similar on the SC/Clemson thread. Now it is 52 teams available. It could be as few as 53. The only guarantee is that either IA St. or Nebraska qualifies. Iowa St. only misses out if they back into the Big 12 north with a loss and then loses to OU in the championship game. And the only way they can do that is if Nebraska beats CU, otherwise CU is the champ.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:16 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Update:

53 teams qualified (excluding SC and Clemson). With Nebraska's loss, Iowa St. is guaranteed a winning record. Arkansas also lost. 57 teams will not go to bowls. So there are 7 left trying to qualify.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:58 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I was counting on UAB and BC, but they both suffered minor upsets. However, I wasn't counting on Tulane to win on the road. And Memphis and LSU did their job.

We have to pull for Hawaii (for one week), however, that is probably a long shot.

There are now 55 teams qualified and willing. Hawaii or Northwestern will be eliminated tonight. Tulane will likely be eliminated next week vs. Louisville. It will probably be exactly 56 teams. That is still good news for 6-5 Akron.

BTW, there will be a maximum of 4 6-6 teams. NW is currently 6-5, Michigan St. 5-6 and Hawaii 5-5. La Tech is 5-6 with a game remaining at Rice. I'm assuming Nevada doesn't score 45 points in the last 5 minutes against Boise).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:47 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Miscounted the eligible ACC teams. There ARE 56 eligible and willing, so every bowl has a team. NW, HI and Tulane are all still trying. Akron's hope is on all 3 failing.

Will the NCAA change the rules to give a bowl a chance to pick a 6-6 NW or 6-6 HI over 6-5 Akron? If HI comes through tonight, there's a good chance we'll find out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:25 pm 
They are 5-6, and play Hawaii next weekend.

I saw bowl projections on some of the sports websites projecting Akron for some very far distant bowls, like the Silicon Valley Classic, the Humanitarian, or even the Hawaii Bowl, if Hawaii doesn't become bowl elgible.

Its hard to imagine Akron in a bowl. They should create their own bowl called the Rubber Bowl, as that's where they play.

There average attendance this year is ~16,000. How can they get anyone to travel to Boise, ID, San Jose, CA or Honolulu, HI?

The other 5 MAC teams make sense, as all of them, except Northern Illinois, have been to a bowl recently.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:58 pm 

Link to Post - Back to Top  IP: 12.216.234.87

bullet
All-Star

bullet2622@aol.com [send pm]

Re: "Bowl Me Over"
« Reply #9 on 11/28/2004 at 8:00am »
[Quote] [Modify] [Delete]

Well Hawaii came through. NW finishes at 6-6. Louisville is likely to make short work of Tulane (5-5) next week. That will leave Michigan St. (5-6) to deal with Hawaii (6-5). NW probably got a better "bowl" by scheduling a 12th game in HI than they would have gotten otherwise.

There will be SIX teams qualifying this year without 6 I-A wins. Minnesota, UNC, Georgia Tech, Iowa St., Wyoming and Alabama all will have to use the once in 4 year rule to count a I-AA win as their 6th. I don't think there have been that many use the rule in its history. Kentucky was the 1st in about the 3rd year of the rule. I believe there have only been 2 or 3 others use the rule, although 3 or 4 schools made bowls the last 2 years with a 6-6 record when the NCAA made an exception in the years with 12 games. Northwestern was one of those who took advantage of that rule.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:02 pm 
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/stewart_mandel/11/28/weekend.review/index.html

Duly noted that around 10% of bowl participants will be teams with less than six I-A wins...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:25 pm 

Link to Post - Back to Top  IP: 68.101.12.202

Micheal Bond
Re: "Bowl Me Over"
« Reply #12 on 11/28/2004 at 6:28pm »
[Quote] [Modify] [Delete]

I have two solutions to this problem...

1.) take away a couple of bowl games...

or

2.) go to a 12 game schedule

I'm sure with an extra game many of those 5-6 teams would be 6-6, giving them a chance for a bowl game...

last year there were a lot more bowl elidgible teams

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Don't worry. Stew Mandel's cynicism is actually overblown this year.

Fresno's trying to NOT go to San Jose for their bowl game. That will kill the SV. Finally. No, I mean it this time!

The Hum errr MPC Computer Bowl will pretty much die from the sound of things. The business support out here is waning. Furthermore, unless Virginia actually trades places with Georgia Tech, the return of Tech isn't going to inspire anyone out here... and with UTEP reportedly headed to Houston and Hawaii still potentially on the outs after next weekend (Fresno is rumored to want the island trip), Boise may win the Akron sweepstakes. Bye bye Boise. (Did you ever think you'd see the words "Akron sweepstakes" strung together?)

Last edited by pounder on Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:56 am 
The Computer Bowl?

The Tire Bowl?

The Credit Card Bowl?

The Website Bowl?

What is wrong with these people? Naming bowls after weird inanimate objects.

Is there a Paper Clip Bowl? A Tacky Lawn Ornament Bowl? The Lava Lamp Bowl? The School Supplies Bowl?

Comeon people. Jeeeez ::)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
The Computer Bowl?

The Tire Bowl?

The Credit Card Bowl?

The Website Bowl?

What is wrong with these people? Naming bowls after weird inanimate objects.

Is there a Paper Clip Bowl? A Tacky Lawn Ornament Bowl? The Lava Lamp Bowl? The School Supplies Bowl?

Comeon people. Jeeeez ::)

You're about 15 years too late.

Follow the money. Some people would like to kill this mantra deader than Jimmy Hoffa, but it works, man.

BTW, tell me why computers, tires, and credit cards are weird. Websites, I can grasp that rather easily (this being one of them)... ;D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:55 am 
Yes, I guess you're right.

They do seem to work. Somehow.

I just wish they would bring back the Salad Bowl :D

Ranch Dressing anyone?