NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:34 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:57 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Brett McMurphy article discussing possible future BCS revenue distribution models prior to tomorrow's BCS meeting in Chicago.Link at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ff-revenue

One of those amazingly "why make it so complicated" ideas from these conferences.

I have an idea...why not divide the payouts for the BCS bowls/playoffs in A GIVEN YEAR with the Top 25 rankings from that SAME GIVEN YEAR.

In other words, if the Pac-12 ends the 2015 season with 5 Top 25 schools, while the Big 12, ACC and Big Ten only have 4 (and 6 SEC schools) with some scattered Big East, MWC, Cusa schools for the other 2 spots...then the Pac-12 should get the 2nd largest share, with the SEC at the top.

And in other years, when the PAc-12 has only 2-3 ranked schools, they'd get a much smaller share.

Instead, they want to create a system based on school performance when they were in different conferences? Big 12 gets a huge boost by having TCU in since the MWC was never like the Big 12 in strength. Big East gets to absorb the Boise St. numbers. So rather than use REAL data from a REAL season, they want to pretend the schools were always in these more competitive conferences.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I keep harping on my opinion that the biggest factor in this BCS revision is revenue distribution.

If you think the Top4 can be somewhat subjective, wait till you try to rank the teams down around the #25 slot.
What an unbelievable mess that's going to be..... (how many 9-3, 8-4, 7-5 teams are there ?)

I see a "bowl festival" with a bunch of auto-bids to give every conference a slot in a New Year's Bowl, and then a selection committee to pick the Top 4 for the NC semifianls and Final.
It could also wind up being a plus one. Basically you have to have a basis for distributing the cash, that has some tangible tie to bowl participation, and all conferences have to
get some share. I have no doubt that's what they are beating to death in the current round of meetings.

Hopefully there is no incentive ot of this sharing to induce the WAC to try and re-stock with a bunch of crappy FCS teams.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:27 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Brett McMurphy article discussing possible future BCS revenue distribution models prior to tomorrow's BCS meeting in Chicago.Link at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ff-revenue

One of those amazingly "why make it so complicated" ideas from these conferences.

I have an idea...why not divide the payouts for the BCS bowls/playoffs in A GIVEN YEAR with the Top 25 rankings from that SAME GIVEN YEAR.

In other words, if the Pac-12 ends the 2015 season with 5 Top 25 schools, while the Big 12, ACC and Big Ten only have 4 (and 6 SEC schools) with some scattered Big East, MWC, Cusa schools for the other 2 spots...then the Pac-12 should get the 2nd largest share, with the SEC at the top.

And in other years, when the PAc-12 has only 2-3 ranked schools, they'd get a much smaller share.

Instead, they want to create a system based on school performance when they were in different conferences? Big 12 gets a huge boost by having TCU in since the MWC was never like the Big 12 in strength. Big East gets to absorb the Boise St. numbers. So rather than use REAL data from a REAL season, they want to pretend the schools were always in these more competitive conferences.

In theory what you say makes perfect sense, but in practice, I'm not so sure there aren't biases in voting. Every year we talk about Heisman voting and how each regions' votes breaks down. The experts talk about how two people from the SEC will split southeast votes or Andrew Luck will carry the west votes. I'm sure this happens when coaches vote for schools in their conferences. I would think this would happen even more frequently if money is on the line.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

USAToday article reporting that the BCS Commissioners have agreed to recommend some type of 4 team playoff to the BCS Presidents.Much of the details remain murky.The Presidents meet next week.Link at http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... 55721414/1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SBD article with update on BCS situation at http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail ... s/BCS.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Brett McMurphy article with more on future BCS format at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... off-format

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:55 am 
Senior
Senior

So that's why the bowls will be used for the semi's.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... es-playoff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN blog article with comments from WKU President regarding possible BCS revenue distribution models prior to tomorrow's BCS Presidential Oversight Committee meeting.Link at http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollar ... hange-much

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN blog article with preview of this afternoon's BCS President's meeting at http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/tag/_/na ... s-meetings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CBS Sports blog article reporting that the BCS Presidents have indeed approved a four team FB playoff.Link at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -committee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:28 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Rose and Champions Bowls are in the 6 bowl semi-final rotation, other 4TBD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn -

Where are you getting this about the Champ's Bowl ?
I'm not sure how that could be right, since it is a game still in search of a home, and when that home is determined, it can't host the SEC-BigXII match-up and host a NC Semi-Final at the same time...

I have seen 6 bowls mentioned, and I think everyone assumes Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta are in, plus 2 more.
Other 2 were speculated on by one guy as Cotton and Capital One (is that Orlando ?)
Seems believable. I'm not familiar with the stadium used for Capital One.

I think first the 6 semi-final hosts are defined.
Then they bid out NC game for next 12 years (I am unlclear if concept is for those 6 to double-host, if NC game is played in a differnt location, or if anyone is putting any restriction on it).
I would THEN think one of the 5 (other than Rose) wins the bidding to host SEC-Big XII Champs Bowl Game in years that bowl is not hosting a semi-final....

Thoughts ? Or do we have any more definitive information at this point ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:45 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tute79 wrote:
Quinn -

Where are you getting this about the Champ's Bowl ?
I'm not sure how that could be right, since it is a game still in search of a home, and when that home is determined, it can't host the SEC-BigXII match-up and host a NC Semi-Final at the same time...

I have seen 6 bowls mentioned, and I think everyone assumes Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta are in, plus 2 more.
Other 2 were speculated on by one guy as Cotton and Capital One (is that Orlando ?)
Seems believable. I'm not familiar with the stadium used for Capital One.

I think first the 6 semi-final hosts are defined.
Then they bid out NC game for next 12 years (I am unlclear if concept is for those 6 to double-host, if NC game is played in a differnt location, or if anyone is putting any restriction on it).
I would THEN think one of the 5 (other than Rose) wins the bidding to host SEC-Big XII Champs Bowl Game in years that bowl is not hosting a semi-final....

Thoughts ? Or do we have any more definitive information at this point ?

Tute, it's a ROTATION. So in a year when the Rose Bowl is hosting a semifinal, obviously, it won't be PAc-12 vs Big Ten. Same goes for the Champions Bowl. In years when both are NOT hosting a semifinal, the Rose will ALWAYS be Pac-12 vs Big Ten and Champions Bowl will always be SEC vs Big 12.

And when the #1 from the Pac-12 or Big Ten is not available for the Rose bowl due to the semifinals, the plan thus far is for #2 to be slotted in from the conference. Same for the Champions Bowl.

The conferences have control over the bowls again, a return to how things were in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I get the idea of the rotation. But I think the semis will rotate between 6 sites.

Where do you think the Champs Bowl will be normally located ? I think that is undetermined as yet, and will be up for bids.

When the Rose gets a semi- I'm not sure what happens to it's traditional PAC vs. B1G game (do those champs get dispersed elsewhere ?)

I sort of think the Champs Bowl will get a home - where ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN blog article with comments from ACC Commish regarding likely future ACC Orange bowl tie in and probable conference bowl tie in scramble.Link at http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/4 ... range-bowl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next