NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:43 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

FBfan, I totally disagree with you an an 8 team playoff for college football division 1A. I can not think of one major sport that does not include its top 10 teams in a playoff system.

I think you are afraid that an upstart team ranked in the top 16 would start to beat the top teams and that scares the big boys into wanting to keep the BCS as is.

You have to have a minimum of 16 teams to have any creditability in a playoff. You will have to allow the other conference access which and 8 team playoff would not do and cause US Congress to step in.

It will be a 16 team playoff. Otherwise we need to set back and like the 4 and next year 5 BCS bowls and the many useless minor bowls.

8 is not enough in college football playoff!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
FBfan, I totally disagree with you an an 8 team playoff for college football division 1A. I can not think of one major sport that does not include its top 10 teams in a playoff system.

MLB

8 is plenty. Winners of the 5 power conferences and 3 next best conference winners or ND. No reason for teams which lost out in conference play and/or playoffs to get a second chance. Let them populate the other bowls.

Only change from this year's actual would be TCU in and Ohio St out, for losing to Penn St.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Westwolf,
What is going to happen in years when the ACC does not have a top 8 team. It was very close this year when Miami got very lucky against Clemson in overtime.

How many ACC fans would scream if an ACC team were left out of a playoff.

Better yet, what would happen if the SEC were left out.

I don't what to think about the controversy.

Oregon is screamming their bloody heads off at the Fiesta for inviting Ohio State and it just a bowl game. It not like Ohio State can advance.

Just one of the many examples that 8 teams will not fly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:05 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Would a major conference not agree to conditional acceptance into a playoff if they did not have a team in the top 8? I do see that being a problem, but what objective person could have a problem with earning your way into a playoff?

16 teams is too much. What is so special about having the "top 10" teams in? Of the top 16 teams, less than 4 would be minor conference teams, leaving at least 12 major conference teams. Being the 12th major team is no accomplishment deserving an opportunity to win the national championship. It would strip the regular season of some degree of importance, something that every other sport that you refer to can't hang its hat on.