NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Dallas Biz Journal article discussing announced changes to the Ticket City Bowl at http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... ip-of.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Brett McMurphy article discussing possibility of additional bowl games to be added for 2014 at http://www.espn.go.com/college-football ... es-sources

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN blog article discussing Big Ten bowl tie in situation at http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... on-process

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:26 am 
All-Star
All-Star

CBSSports blog article discussing new SEC bowl lineup starting in 2014 at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... bowl-games

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The SEC will effectively have 11 tie-ins counting the playoffs and access bowls.

In 2009, the SEC had 12 eligible (counting Missouri and A&M) with Alabama and Florida in the playoffs. LSU goes to an access bowl and everyone else gets placed.

In 2010, the SEC would have had 12 eligible, with Auburn off to the playoffs and Arkansas to an access bowl. One SEC team would have to fill a vacant slot elsewhere, more than likely at the expense of the Big 12.

In 2011, the SEC would have had exactly 11 teams eligible, but at least 2 would have been in the semifinals. Arkansas would get the call for the Sugar/Orange Bowl, and the Independence Bowl gets shorted.

In 2012, the SEC only had 9 eligible, and Alabama gets Florida in the national semifinals. Georgia goes to an access bowl, and Birmingham, Shreveport, and likely Charlotte are looking for teams to fill those slots.

It looks like the Birmingham Bowl and Independence Bowl may be shopping for at-large selections more often than not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
The SEC will effectively have 11 tie-ins counting the playoffs and access bowls.

In 2009, the SEC had 12 eligible (counting Missouri and A&M) with Alabama and Florida in the playoffs. LSU goes to an access bowl and everyone else gets placed.

In 2010, the SEC would have had 12 eligible, with Auburn off to the playoffs and Arkansas to an access bowl. One SEC team would have to fill a vacant slot elsewhere, more than likely at the expense of the Big 12.

In 2011, the SEC would have had exactly 11 teams eligible, but at least 2 would have been in the semifinals. Arkansas would get the call for the Sugar/Orange Bowl, and the Independence Bowl gets shorted.

In 2012, the SEC only had 9 eligible, and Alabama gets Florida in the national semifinals. Georgia goes to an access bowl, and Birmingham, Shreveport, and likely Charlotte are looking for teams to fill those slots.

It looks like the Birmingham Bowl and Independence Bowl may be shopping for at-large selections more often than not.

I see what you did there, but if you include A&M and Mizzou in 2010, it would be highly unlikely that Georgia, Kentucky, and Tennessee would bowl eligible (barely got by at 6-6) and you didn't include the Big 12 adding TCU/WVU which also would have been bowl eligible thus the Big 12 would not have lost a bowl bid to the SEC.

Now back on point, 75% bowl eligible is the norm for the major conferences, thus the goal is to land enough bowl tie-ins for 75% of your conference for 14 (SEC/B1G) that's 10.5, ACC w/ ND is 11.25, for 12 (PAC12) that's 9, and for the Big 12 (10) that's 7.5.

Not counting the playoff spot (since its not a guaranteed tie-in).

The SEC has 10.5: Sugar(Orange), Cap1, Outback, Gator, Liberty, Music, Texas, Belk, BBVA Compass, Independence
The Big 10 has 9: Rose, (Orange/Cap1)*, Outback, Holdiay, (Gator/Music)*, Kraft, Pinstripe, Detroit, (HrtoDallas/ArmedForces)*
The PAC12 has 7: Rose, Alamo, Holiday, Kraft, Sun, BuffWW, Vegas
The Big 12 has 7: Sugar, Alamo, Russell, Liberty, BuffWW, Texas, HrtoDallas
The ACC has 10.5: Orange, (Cap1)*, Russell, Belk, (Gator/Music)*, Pinstripe, Sun, New Detroit Bowl, Military, Independence, Beef 'O' Brady's

Note: When the Big Ten playsd in the Orange Bowl the ACC will send non BCS #1 to the Cap1 Bowl, also the ACC/B1G will share bids in the Music/Gator Bowl each getting 3 bids to each over the next 6 years. The Big Ten will also split time between the Armed Forces Bowl (vs Army/Navy/BYU) and the Heart of Dallas Bowl (vs Big 12) each with three bids over the next 6 years. The Big Ten will also play in the new Ford/MotorCity/LittleCeasars/DetriotLions Bowl which will start in 2014 with the ACC taking voer the MAC's usual spot.

Non BCS opp games Big 12 (0.5 vs AAC), B1G(0.5 vs Army/Navy/BYU), SEC (1 vs AAC), PAC12 (1 vs MWC), ACC (2 vs AAC)

The MWC has 5: Vegas, Poinsettia, New Mexico, Idaho, and Hawaii
The AAC has 3.5: Military, BBVA Compass, Beef 'O' Brady's, (HrtoDallas)
The MAC has 3: Idaho, Little Rock*, GoDaddy
CUSA has 3.5: New Mexico, NOLA, Hawaii, (Armed Forces)
The SBC has 3: NOLA, Little Rock*, Go Daddy
Army/Navy/BYU has 2: Armed Forces, Poinsettia

Note: the Little Rock bowl will most likely host MAC vs Sun Belt begining in 2014.

Last edited by tkalmus on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tk-

Thank you for the above post. I have a spreadsheet and have been tracking this too.

A few possible discrepancies.

You list AAC for the BBVA Compass Bowl, I have them too. I think their opponennt is an SEC team.
There is a lot of doubt about whether the SEC can come up with yet another bowl-eligible team to slot into there, so I think CUSA is listed as providing a back-up.
BBVA Compass bowl would be the 1 game you list as SEC vs. AAC.

The other confusion would be with this Big 10 rotates between Heart of Dallas and Armed Forces.
If AAC subs for Big 10 in Heart of Dallas, and CUSA subs for Big 10 in Armed Forces, AND
assuming Big XII is always opponent in Heart of Dallas, and Army/Navy/BYU are always opponent in Armed Forces,
then Big XII's 0.5 opponents are Big 10 and AAC (not Big 10 and CUSA).

Do you agree ? Or do I have something misconstrued ?
I think some of these arrangements may still be tentative as some of my efforts at seacrching for press releases came up empty...

Thanks, Tute.

p.s. the new Armed Forces Bowl deal makes me wonder if Pentagon shouldd be reconstructed as "Hexagon"
(for Army / Navy / Marines / Air Force / Coast Guard / Mormons !)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
tk-

Thank you for the above post. I have a spreadsheet and have been tracking this too.

A few possible discrepancies.

You list AAC for the BBVA Compass Bowl, I have them too. I think their opponennt is an SEC team.
There is a lot of doubt about whether the SEC can come up with yet another bowl-eligible team to slot into there, so I think CUSA is listed as providing a back-up.
BBVA Compass bowl would be the 1 game you list as SEC vs. AAC.

You are correct, I had it listed as the Birmingham Bowl in the SEC's line and BBVA in the AAC.

tute79 wrote:
The other confusion would be with this Big 10 rotates between Heart of Dallas and Armed Forces.
If AAC subs for Big 10 in Heart of Dallas, and CUSA subs for Big 10 in Armed Forces, AND
assuming Big XII is always opponent in Heart of Dallas, and Army/Navy/BYU are always opponent in Armed Forces,
then Big XII's 0.5 opponents are Big 10 and AAC (not Big 10 and CUSA).

Do you agree ? Or do I have something misconstrued ?
I think some of these arrangements may still be tentative as some of my efforts at seacrching for press releases came up empty....

Yes good catch on the Big 12 playing the AAC and not CUSA, I've made the changes above.

Thanks, Tute.
tute79 wrote:
p.s. the new Armed Forces Bowl deal makes me wonder if Pentagon shouldd be reconstructed as "Hexagon"
(for Army / Navy / Marines / Air Force / Coast Guard / Mormons !)

Ha! yeah but in all seriousness, with Navy joining the AAC, Army will have some trouble finding bowls to take them on a one year contigent...BYU is already having trouble as they technically have no bowl set up for this year and only the Poinsettia set up in 2014 and 1 more future year (likely 2016) so the Mormons may need to team up with the Service to find themseleves a bowl that would take them on an every other year basis like the Armed Forces which I have listed but is not actually official yet...or maybe a new bowl like the Chrismas Bowl perhaps...o wait I bet that won't work lol. #Mormons

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

thanks TK !

Army doesn't wind up being bowl eligible all that often, so I'm guessing when they do have a good year, one of those 2 bowls will take Army.

Yeah, I heard rumblings about a Christmas Bowl in Los Angeles !
I'm guessing that is entirely up to ESPN, since they seem to run all thee lame bowl games to provide themselves with something to air over the holidays.

I don't personally know any Mormons out here in Missouri (we have "Pentacostalists" occasionally making the rounds,
and I have seen pairs of guys now and then who could very well be Mormons doing their "mission work").
But I'm thinking the Church of Jesus Christ-Latter Day Saints must celebrate Christmas.
I guess your theory is that if BYU won't play sports on Sunday, they REALLY won't play them on Christmas Day..... yeah, I guess that's right.

Along those lines, Chick-Fil-A restaurants are closed on Sundays. now that the Chick-Fil-A Bowl is part of the big 6 Bowls, could it be scheduled for Sunday ?
Maybe not, since Sundays are reserved for the NFL.

Ponder this - a gay Mormon, attending BYU, being asked to play in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl on a Sunday !!! Talk about bad karma !!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Not counting the playoff spot (since its not a guaranteed tie-in).

The SEC has 10.5: Sugar(Orange), Cap1, Outback, Gator, Liberty, Music, Texas, Belk [CONFIRMED] BBVA Compass, Independence [CONDITIONAL]
The Big 10 has 9: Rose, (Orange/Cap1)*, Outback, Holiday, (Gator/Music)*, Kraft, Pinstripe, Detroit [CONFIRMED] (HrtoDallas/ArmedForces)* [CONDITIONAL]
The PAC12 has 7: Rose, Alamo, Holiday, Kraft, Sun, BuffaloWW, Vegas [ALL CONFIRMED]
The Big 12 has 7: Sugar, Alamo, Russell, Liberty, BuffaloWW, Texas [CONFIRMED] HrtoDallas [RUMORED]
The ACC has 10.5: Orange, (Cap1)*, Russell, Belk, (Gator/Music)*, Pinstripe, Sun, Detroit, Military, Independence [CONFIRMED] Beef 'O' Brady's ('14 & '16) [CONDITIONAL] BBVA Compass [Rumored]

Note: When the Big Ten plays in the Orange Bowl the ACC will send non BCS #1 to the Cap1 Bowl, also the ACC/B1G will share bids in the Music/Gator Bowl each getting 3 bids to each over the next 6 years. The Big Ten will also split time between the Armed Forces Bowl (vs Army/Navy/BYU) and the Heart of Dallas Bowl (vs Big 12) each with three bids over the next 6 years. The Big Ten will also play in the new Ford/MotorCity/LittleCeasars/DetriotLions Bowl which will start in 2014 with the ACC taking over the MAC's usual spot.

Non BCS opp games Big 12 (0.5 vs AAC), B1G(0.5 vs Army/Navy), SEC (1 vs AAC), PAC12 (1 vs MWC), ACC (1.5 vs AAC)

ALL RUMORED UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE
The MWC has 6: Vegas, Christmas*, Poinsettia, Hawaii(UH if eligible), New Mexico, Idaho [ALL CONFIRMED]
The AAC has 5: Military [CONFIRMED], (BBVA Compass/HrtoDallas), Beef 'O' Brady's, Christmas*, Florida Bowl*
The MAC has 5: Camellia, Idaho, GoDaddy [ALL CONFIRMED] Bahamas, Legend [RUMORED]
CUSA has 7: Armed Forces & Hawaii [BOTH CONFIRMED] Little Rock*, New Mexico, NOLA, Bahamas, Florida Bowl*
The SBC has 5: Camellia, NOLA, GoDaddy [ALL CONFIRMED] Little Rock* Legend* [RUMORED]
Army/BYU has 1: Poinsettia

Note: The Christmas Bowl (The LA Coliseum) is rumored to be a MWC/AAC game, the Camellia Bowl (Montgomery, AL) will host MAC vs Sun Belt beginning in 2014, the Legends bowl (Charleston, SC) may be a MAC/SBC game, the Little Rock Bowl (War Memorial Stadium) is rumored to be a CUSA/SBC game. A yet to be selected Florida Bowl (either Cure Bowl in Orlando (UCF Stadium) which has been turned down twice or an upstart bowl in Boca Raton(FAU Stadium) or Miami (Marlins Ballpark) have yet to be approved would most likely host AAC/CUSA.

EDIT: added Bahamas Bowl to line up...thx tute.

Last edited by tkalmus on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks TK.

I can't wait to watch the LEGENDS BOWL on tape delay at 3 am, while wrapping presents ! Bless you, ESPN2....

Would you know the deal with Navy ? Are they now part of the AAC's bowl package ? I noticed you removed them from the Poinsettia...
I wonder about the Armed Forces Bowl....

Tute

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Thanks TK.

I can't wait to watch the LEGENDS BOWL on tape delay at 3 am, while wrapping presents ! Bless you, ESPN2....

Would you know the deal with Navy ? Are they now part of the AAC's bowl package ? I noticed you removed them from the Poinsettia...
I wonder about the Armed Forces Bowl....

Tute

I found that the Poinsettia Bowl has BYU/Army rotating in/out of it begining 2015 (Army is up for it this year, Navy in 2014).

Other than two releases by the Big Ten and CUSA I can not find any info on the Armed Forces Bowl (except the MWC ending its agreement with them). Its unclear as who will play in it in the year when the Big Ten does not and I had assumed Army/Navy had a deal (based on the name/history) but can find no proof of that. (I still think it might be Army on its off years from the Poinsettia bowl but I haven't seen anything confirming that).

Navy doesn't seem to have any more bowl deals after 2014 that I can identify so my guess that they will just roll into the AAC's in 2015 year when they join the conference.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:10 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks TK -

I found this....

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ball-bowls

"Florida Bowl" location firmed up - FAU's new stadium (known as "Owlcatraz") in Boca Raton.
CUSA vs. either AAC or MWC in that one.

But yet another NEW Bowl... the "Bahamas Bowl" (to be played in a 30,000 seat soccer field in Nassau).
CUSA vs. MAC (I will say that might be a more inviting location than Toronto in the dead of winter...)

That gets us to 38 bowls, by someone's count.
Will we have 76 bowl eligible teams ? No. Not without a pile of 6-6 squads....

Still a lot of uncertainties... keep the info flowing.

Thanks, Tute

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:

Confirmed 39 (including the NCG)
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... boca-raton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:15 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
tute79 wrote:

Confirmed 39 (including the NCG)
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... boca-raton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

excluding all the ineligible teams, there would not be enough 6+ wins schools to fill 39 bowls

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next