NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Here is link to the MWC BCS plan at http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/mw ... oposal.pdf

It seems unlikely that this plan as originally conceived can/will be approved by the BCS Commissioners/Presidents when they meet next month in Pasadena.

However,can this plan be "tweaked" enough to get a majority of the BCS Conferences to approve something relatively close to it?

Please post your suggested changes in this thread.I will be posting some ideas as I find more time over the weekend.

Thanks
Freaked

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

After having gone over this MWC BCS plan I am definitely of the opinion that it will not be wholly implemented by the BCS.

This exercise is to see if some lipstick is applied, can it be made to look like something other than a(no reference to Sarah Palin intended) pig?

The MWC breaks their proposal into four(4) parts;(1)the Autobid qualifications,(2)Committee vs polls and computers,(3)their playoff scheme,and (4)presidential oversight and revenue calculations.

1.The MWC wants to base BCS autobids solely on head to head won-loss records of each conference against teams from the 6 autobid conferences for years prior to 2009.
IMO this creates the problem of applying rather sparse retroactive criteria that arguably could be manipulated in the future.
Therefore,I would suggest that it be included into the current BCS Autobid critera either as an addition or a partial replacement.However,I would wait until the BCS publicly releases all of the official autobid formulas and data.
In order to provide proper notice,it could only be applied toward future years.For instance a three year period starting in 2009 would allow the BCS to add a seventh BCS Autobid conference in 2012.
This proposal would REQUIRE the BCS to have (7)seven BCS Autobid conferences for 2012 and 2013 using the top (7)seven conferences based on whatever ranking scheme they are employing at that time.

2.The computers and polls are arguably more objective than a selected committee and also "gin up" fan interest throughout the FB season.
Therefore,the "lipstick" proposal would keep the current BCS ranking system combined with a year end committee that could only overrule selections in the current system with a(two-thirds) super majority vote.Also this committe would be made up of representatives of D-1 conferences based on their current BCS voting situation.It would also include representatives from ESPN,and each BCS bowl.

3.IMO,the playoff scheme is DOA.I would replace it with an unseeded plus-one scheme that would add one bowl and allow the BCS bowls to keep their contractual tie ins.The BCS bowls would be played during the first week in January and the five winners would be reranked using the current BCS process to produce the two finalists for the BCS title game which would be played about a week later.The new Committee essentially would only have "veto power" over the current process as long as they had a super majority.

4.The MWC wants to give each non-auto bid conference a seat on the Presidential Oversight Committee and split up the revenue using that voting scheme.The "lipstick" proposal would keep the current setup except to award any new BCS Autobid conference a seat on the Presidential Oversight Committee and a full conference share of BCS money.

Not sure if this proposal would be acceptable either,but I believe that it is an improvement over the initial MWC proposal.

If anyone has any suggested improvements,please post them on this thread.

Thanks
Freaked

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Bump

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:04 am 
Freshman
Freshman

To play with the big boys, the MWC needs to use big boy money. First, the MWC needs to stop sending its Champion to a Christmas Day Game where they play the 4th team from the PAC-Ten #4. My suggestion: [and i've said this on several BE boards] is to make an offer to the Big East #2/#3. The Big East would jump for a guaranteed bid for their #2 team, playing in a bustling metropolis instead of a dump like El Paso. But first, we'd have to move the date. While Las Vegas business might shun the idea of a post-new years bowl game, any bowl game on the first or the second automatically draws WAY more attention than pre-New Years games. It's when the big boys play. Failing that, either the 28th or the 31st would also work.

That's the next step the MWC can take.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Thelurker,thanks for the post.
It should be interesting to see if the BCS makes some type of "counteroffer" to the MWC and/or offer some change suggestions to the MWC plan when they meet next month.

Thanks
Freaked

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]