NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Who's #2?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:47 pm 
Assuming Oklahoma wins out, who should they play in the National championship game?-
USC?, LSU?, or the Ohio St.-Michigan winner?
I say neither OSU or USC. Right now LSU is playing like the second best team. Ohio St. has not done anything on the road. LSU has. LSU and USC are both equally impressive. USC though has in my opinion had a much easier conference schedule. LSU had to play Georgia, Florida, and will play Ole Miss. All of those are top 15 teams. USC did beat Washington St. who is far overrated and hasn't beaten anyone. LSU should be #2. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:08 pm 
Senior
Senior

Gator, OSU's schedule to date has been not to impressive. LSU's and USC's do seem to be about even. USC killed Auburn on the road, LSU beat them at home. Win against Georgia, or Wazzu, maybe a slight advantage to LSU. Big loss against against Florida at home, or overtime loss on the road against a decent Cal, advantage to USC, so to date USC has a slight adventage. IF LSU beats Ole MIss, I agree LSU should get the nod...But, as long as we're playing the "what if" game, If Ohio State beats Michigan, I think Ohio State dererves the chance to defend its title.

So if they all win out its OSU, If OSU loses its LSU, if both lose its USC. I can't see USC losing in its remaining schedule, but if they do...?

Last edited by gumby on Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:52 am 
out. As much as I love the Pac-10, these USC proponents need to be realistic. Just look at the conference standings...[shudder]...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:29 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

There's still a pretty good chance either USC or LSU will get beat, clarifying the whole situation. Lots of adrenalin flowing in final season and championship games. In college football, emotional intensity can always give an edge to anyone properly motivated, and there is much more parity than in past years. No-one should plan on their Sugar bowl tickets too soon...

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:58 pm 
LSU beat Arkansas 55-24 and is still ranked behind USC.

LSU deserves to go but they won't have a chance unless they switch places with USC in one of the polls. I hope USC loses to Oregon St.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:47 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
There's still a pretty good chance either USC or LSU will get beat, clarifying the whole situation. Lots of adrenalin flowing in final season and championship games. In college football, emotional intensity can always give an edge to anyone properly motivated, and there is much more parity than in past years. No-one should plan on their Sugar bowl tickets too soon...

8-)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is more than a good chance BOTH (yes BOTH) LSU and USC will get beat. Especially LSU against an improved UGA team in Atlanta, a very tough site for the bayou boys. As for USC, they face a tough Oregon State bunch with lots of firepower and plenty of motivation to be a spoiler. Should be an interesting Saturday...

;D

Last edited by javaman on Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:58 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Well, I eat crow today, and was tempted to delete the above, but my honest side prevailed (grin)....

Sabin can sure motivate those guys, and now its the best of worlds for SEC folks and especially LSUtootnanny.

If USC wins, we will have two national champs, and a total mockery and ridicule of the whole BCS thing, and deservedly so. I genuinely look forward to the RoseBowl being a "second" title game for much of the country, especially the West, Midwest, and East. LSU will love the sugar bowl, and if they play as they did against UGA, they will whip Oklahoma, and be the BCS champ, and share a partial national championship. The only way the SugarBowl champ wins national championship uncontested is if Michigan upsets USC. I have watched both teams a lot this year (you'd be amazed how many PAC10 games we get in the midwest), and despite my Midwest roots, I think USC will tear Michigan apart unless something miraculous happens. Can't ever accuse me of being a "homer", (grin) just an avid sports fan.

Retro fever is wonderful though, the most traditional of all RoseBowls is back. Huzza, huzza, the BCS oversight committee is scrambling to recover any semblance of logic, huzza, huzza again, and a shared national championship mocks the very reason for the BCS's awkward existence, so I do hope USC prevails on this count alone for the health of college football.

For a while, all is well with the world. Now if we can only get this NotreDame thing worked out I might begin to believe we live in a sane universe (grin)

ps in the late pm. Just read in my local paper that USC has the most RoseBowl appearances, 29, with Michigan second at 19. What a heritage... Now if we could only get NotreDame motivated in joining the RoseBowl circuit....

;D

Last edited by javaman on Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:43 pm 
LSU seems to be, across the board, #2 in poll and computer rakings. USC is #1 but the coaches and AP polls, and #3 but the Computers for the most part. Oklahoma, its the other way around mostly.

This is the second time in the last few years a Big12 team is in the championship game, yet failed to win their conference title.

The BCS is a mess.