NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:49 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Future Bowl Games??
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:01 pm 

Has anyone heard any news on Possible bowl games to be introduced for the 2005 season?? I"ve heard of possibly a Toronto Bowl...and maybe a bowl in Miami, FL, but i haven't heard any clear evidence of any other bowls....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Toronto, Indianapolis and Denver are still aspring but are waiting at least until the next cycle when NCAA accepts candidates for bowl approval, which I think comes along in the early fall.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:44 am 
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Apr/18/sp/sp04p.html

I still can't wait for that "Big Apple Bowl," to be played on New Year's Eve in NYC and matching Cincinnati, UConn, Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers, USF, Syracuse or West Virginia against the champion of the Big Ten...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:55 am 

I believe they should disband the Silicon Valley Bowl...and make the Poinsetta Bowl a WAC #1 vs. MWC #1 Bowl...MPC Computers #2, Hawaii #3

Liberty Bowl would be MAC 1 vs. CUSA 1

and the Sun Belt should secure a 2nd Bowl game

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:01 pm 
Why would the Mountain West agree to match its champion against the WAC?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:20 am 

Who else would it go against?? the WAC and MWC are both top heavy teams...a Utah vs. Boise State would have been a very good game to watch this past year...I highly doubt any other conference would want to send it's champion that far west...CUSA and the WAC are the most interested parties in this deal...the PAC-10 probably won't send 2 teams to 2 bowls in the same city...and the MWC would never get the Big 12's spot in the Holiday Bowl...so who else would u get for the Poinsetta Bowl???

Boise State was ranked what...9th in the BCS compared to Utah's 6th?? How could that be a bad thing for these 2 teams to have possibly met in San Diego??

Mr. Quija, I've noticed for a long time that for 90% of my posts that i've made...your post not far from it basically bashing whatever point i make...I really don't know if you specifically look for my posts to bash but just chill out..there's no need for you to constantly bash my posts...We're all giving sound opinions about college sports and you should respect that when all your posts might not be the best ideas at all...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:51 am 
Well I think Ouija has a point here.

The MWC and the WAC have over-lapping territories as you are aware, but the MWC is despearately trying to posture itself for a BCS automatic bid for it's champion.

The MWC wants to be thought of as THE big-time conference in the mountain time zone, and wants to cultivate the image that it is clearly a cut above the WAC (regardless of whether or not that is true, that is the perception they are hoping to project).

So when you view the situation from that perspective, they would seem to have everything to lose, and little to gain by going head-to-head with the WAC (at least with regard to a top-rated team that is undefeated and has an opportunity to get at least a BCS at-large bid, and a chance to make a statement, as Utah did by demolishing Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl last year).

I do think they should be open to a bowl match-up on the order of #4 MWC vs. #2 WAC in a lower tier bowl. This might be a decent match-up, and doesn't hurt the MWC's posturing, as it doesn't recognize the WAC as equals.

For the record, I am not stating that the MWC is a superior conference, I am only stating that they are engaged in politically based maneuvering to create the perception that they are superior to the WAC.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:54 am 
Look at the circumstances under which the Mountain West was created...eight of its members withdrew from the WAC-16 and a ninth (TCU) became the first school to leave the "post-apocalyptic" WAC (for C-USA, 2001)...

Two of the three remaining members from the WAC-16 were football-playing members of the Big West into the 1990s with Fresno State becoming a WAC member in 1992 and San Jose State in 1996. All of the "post-apocalyptic" WAC additions are former football-playing members of the Big West: Boise State (2001), Idaho (2005), Louisiana Tech (2001), Nevada (1999), New Mexico State (2005), Utah State (2005)...

Four of nine WAC members spent much of the 1980s in I-AA, with Louisiana Tech (re)entering I-A in 1989, Nevada in 1992, Boise State in 1996, and Idaho (became a Big West member in 1996)...

In contrast, Brigham Young finished with a #1 ranking in 1984, and Air Force finished #8 in 1985, Utah finished #10 in 1994, Colorado State finished #14 in 2000, Texas Christian finished #21 in 2000, and Wyoming finished #22 in 1996...

Aside from Boise State (no wins over a BCS program until 2002 bowl win over Iowa State), Fresno State (1992, 2004), and Hawaii (1992)...no current WAC member has finished in the AP Top 25 since Utah State (#10) in 1961...

The Mountain West is the new "WAC" (2nd tier Western Conference); the WAC is the new "Big West" (3rd tier Western Conference)...if the WAC champion should be facing another conference champion in a bowl game, it should be the champion of C-USA or the MAC...the formation of the Mountain West/WAC apocalypse is far too recent for one to think that their respective conference champions could be matched in San Diego (of all places) on an annual basis...

The relative recent success of the WAC vis-a-vis the Mountain West is even more reason for the Mountain West not to dignify the children of a lesser god...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:00 am 
Now that you mentioned it, why would the Liberty Bowl even be remotely interested in a post-Marshall MAC? Not to say that it's prestige hasn't taken a major hit since the mid-1970s...

Has it been mentioned that 2004 marks the only season in which the Sun Belt Conference produced more than one team with a winning record?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:06 am 
Well, if it has been mentioned that 2004 marks the only season in which the Sun Belt Conference produced more than one team with a winning record, it should be noted that New Mexico State went 7-5 in 2002...FAU has had consecutive winning seasons in I-AA as well...that being said....North Texas appeared in the 2001 New Orleans Bowl as a 5-6 team...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

In lieu of a matchup against a BCS team for it's champion, might the MWC benefit from maintaining it's bowl bid vs. the CUSA champ? Prefereably if it was a game in Texas as opposed to the Liberty Bowl, I think the game might garner more attention, provide extra incentive for TCU to maintain their muster as well as all the Texas-based CUSA schools. Hard pressed to ursurp the BCS lineups in the Alamo, Sun and Houston bowls, to be sure, but under some long term thinking something like that might bebenfit both conferences.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:40 am 
The post never stated that Hawaii had been a "football-playing member" of the PCAA/Big West, but it should be noted that their women's sports remained in the Big West through the 1995-1996 academic year. This was not mentioned in the post because it would have short-changed the Big West's relationships with Fresno State and San Jose State and overstated its relationship with Louisiana Tech...

Fresno State never played in a Holiday Bowl, although it shared the WAC title in 1992 (Hawaii: Holiday; Brigham Young: Aloha; FSU: Freedom) and 1993 (Brigham Young: Holiday; FSU: Aloha; Wyoming: Copper)...

Who did Fresno State really beat in 2001? SI's preseason #1 (Oregon State) and Wisconsin, two teams which finished with losing records? David Carr owes Sports Illustrated a part of his signing bonus...

The 2001 Colorado and 2003 Oregon State teams are FSU's only regular-season victories over BCS programs who finished that regular season with a winning record, at least since Pat Hill took over...these victories are more important than beating disinteresteds (GT, UCLA, UVA) in San Jose or Boise on New Year's Eve...

FSU has been beating Pac-10 opponents for years, witness victories over Arizona (1984), Cal (1985), Oregon (1981-1982), and Oregon State (1985-1986, 1991, 1993-1994, 2001, 2003) and Washington State (1991), and none of these teams appeared in a bowl game. In its first year in the WAC, Fresno State also dealt a humiliating loss to USC in the Freedom Bowl (1992), a highly symbolic loss which cost Larry Smith his job...

San Jose State also posted victories over Cal (1981, 1984, 1986-1987), Illinois (2002), Minnesota (1992), Oregon (1975, 1982), Oregon State (1979), Stanford (1981-1983, 1987, 1989-1990, 1998-2000), Washington State (1980, 1986), with only one of these teams appearing in a bowl game (the 1999 Stanford team played in the Rose Bowl; the 1981-1982 victories involved father Jack Elway coaching SJSU over son John)...

The old PCAA lacked Friday night football on ESPN and a "third team"...

While Boise State has three losses over the past three season, they also have two wins over BCS programs (Iowa State and Oregon State) with both coming at home...while Jim Sweeney's Fresno State never had three straight one-loss seasons, they averaged two losses per year in the Big West (1985-1991) and 2.83 losses per year during a dozen year run of consecutive non-losing seasons (1982-1993)...