PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2424711

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:11 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:

The bowl picture now looks a little better for the BE with 2 new bowl tie ins. Though the payouts aren't that great at least BE bowl eligible teams will now have a place to go. If something is worked out to keep the Houston Bowl afloat, even if it means a lower payout there will be 32 bowls instead of 31.

BE bowl potential:

1.BCS Auto Bid
2.Believe it or not a potential 2cd BCS bid if two BE teams finish in the top 14 (hoping but not counting on this).
3.Sun/ Gator Bowl
4.Mienkee Bowl
5.Houston Bowl (if it stays afloat)
6.Toronto Bowl
7.Birmingham Bowl (does mean that the BE will try to get UAB for a FB only member now that the BE has a bowl there. Transman thinking " hey they have good BB there, hometown host for a bowl, travel partner for USF, don't have to go to the Mississippi to get Memphis for their BB and a bowl. Besides they won't take FB only anyway".)

Does anybody have a list of the payouts for the new and existing bowls for 2006-2007. What are the potential payouts for the new bowls. The BE will take what it can get and all they have to do is win and put fans in the seats to help the paydays grow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Carolina,

Here are numbers for the ACC. I couldnt find compiled information for the other conferences.

http://html.wral.com/sh/blogger/2005/12/acc-getting-bowls-to-dig-deeper.html

Affiliation -- Guaranteed/Minimum 2006 Payout Per Team

Bowl Championship Series -- $15 million to $17 million
Peach Bowl -- $3.25 million (confirmed -- up from $2.35 million)
Gator Bowl -- over $2 million (estimate -- up from $1.6 million)
Champs Sports Bowl -- $2.15 million (confirmed -- up from $862,500)
Meineke Bowl -- at least $750,000
Music City Bowl -- at least $750,000
Emerald Bowl -- at least $750,000
MPC Computers Bowl -- at least $750,000

Guaranteed Total: approximately $27 million

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CarolinaKnights/PantherSC97, very interesting on UAB and Birmingham bowl deal for BE.

I also find it interesting that USA Today is reporting that Kevin Weiberg the commissioner of the Big 12 is concerned about Big 12 teams playing 1AA teams and is considering adding a 9th conference game. The Pac 10 is doing this next year.

The Big East has got to address the number of 8 teams for football. This is not going to cut it in today's major college football world.

I am now thinking the Big East needs 10 football members and schedule 9 conference games to keep up with the other conferences.

Why not bring in Memphis and UAB for football to bring to 10. You have two future bowl cities and good basketball programs.

The Big East football schools are going to have to split from the basketball schools and its just not my view on issues with OOC games. The folks running the conferences have the same concerns.

The Big East football schools really need to start thinking about the future.

UAB may have moved up a notch in the pecking order.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The 1AA grouping is going away.The difference between a 1AA top and a sun belt or wac cusa, or mac team in strength is very insignificant.Each BE school needs to play a national team each year ND or a top BCS.Making money and having a winning record is much more important to a BCS program than having a slightly higher strength ranking.Forget having 9 football members let alone 10 by adding cusa leftovers to the BE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:00 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
CarolinaKnights/PantherSC97, very interesting on UAB and Birmingham bowl deal for BE.

I also find it interesting that USA Today is reporting that Kevin Weiberg the commissioner of the Big 12 is concerned about Big 12 teams playing 1AA teams and is considering adding a 9th conference game. The Pac 10 is doing this next year.

The Big East has got to address the number of 8 teams for football. This is not going to cut it in today's major college football world.

I am now thinking the Big East needs 10 football members and schedule 9 conference games to keep up with the other conferences.

Why not bring in Memphis and UAB for football to bring to 10. You have two future bowl cities and good basketball programs.

The Big East football schools are going to have to split from the basketball schools and its just not my view on issues with OOC games. The folks running the conferences have the same concerns.

The Big East football schools really need to start thinking about the future.

UAB may have moved up a notch in the pecking order.

I think 'IF' the BE were to split and add schools then it would be out of Memphis, UCF, and ECU - and not necessarily in that order. UAB has comparable FB attendance to UCF (22k) but UCF would offer much more because of all the growth potential and infrastructure they are building in Orlando. I haven't read about a similar committment by UAB.

'IF' the BE were to add a FB-only member then ECU would probably be the best. They travel, give the BE access to recruiting in the Eastern NC and in particular the fertile Tidewater, VA region, and they average 35k in losing seasons.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Tigersharktwo, please do us all a favor and read the Thursday copy of USA Today sports and comments form Kevin Weiberg. I consider those type of guys experts and your previous comments make you look like an idiot. Do we want to beleive the experts or your denial of what needs are required for the Big East football schools to be successful in the future. If you were a true Big East football fan your ideas of what is needed would be a much different. You going to have to admit that Villanova blew it chance a few years back and probably for the future as well.

PantherSC97, good point on UAB football attendance and the fact the school is in the shadows of U of Alabama does not make it a very ideal candiate unless you were looking at 12 football members.

I just get this feeling the Big East is going to split up and the need for football members to ease scheduling issues is going to get worse and the Big East is helpless to do anything about it in its current alignment.

I guess the pecking order is Memphis and Central Florida to get the conference to 10 members. Both schools probably are preparing for the same thing as well.

East Carolina may have to wait and see if the conference expends to 12 members.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Lash ,I read usa today.Almost 3/4 of 1A schools play 1AA schools.However,that 1AA classification IS GOING AWAY.So what is the big deal.The BE has plenty of non bcs bowls NOW.The BE 8 does not need to share its bcs funds with cusa leftovers and kill its bb strength to remain BCS.It will need to schedule 1 national team each year like ND.That will give each school 8BCS games per year.If each school plays a current 1AA typically at the higher end of 1AA it is not much different than playing a wac,mac,sun belt ,mwcor cusa team.The non bcs bowl ties with the mac,cusa,b12and acc will bring other games during the season.
What Villanova did 1n 2001 under an old president and before the split of 3 schools DOES NOT tell you what the future will be with them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:58 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Lash ,I read usa today.Almost 3/4 of 1A schools play 1AA schools.However,that 1AA classification IS GOING AWAY.So what is the big deal.The BE has plenty of non bcs bowls NOW.The BE 8 does not need to share its bcs funds with cusa leftovers and kill its bb strength to remain BCS.It will need to schedule 1 national team each year like ND.That will give each school 8BCS games per year.If each school plays a current 1AA typically at the higher end of 1AA it is not much different than playing a wac,mac,sun belt ,mwcor cusa team.The non bcs bowl ties with the mac,cusa,b12and acc will bring other games during the season.
What Villanova did 1n 2001 under an old president and before the split of 3 schools DOES NOT tell you what the future will be with them.

The future is 1AA. Current administration officials have no desire to move up and incur the expanded cost of operation at the 1A level. For Nova: BE BB, and 1AA FB is the future much to the dismay of their fans and BE fans who want to keep the BE together after 2010. Temple is the only 1A FB team in the town of Philly present and future which is MAC bound now and a future prospect for the 2010 Split BE FB Conference.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1146216378162180.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

Dec. 23rd - CUSA (host) vs. BE

No details yet as to how those teams will be selected

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Carolinaknights, I totally agree on the 1AA issue and Tigersharktwo is in total denial as usual.

I don't see the Philly market in the Big East football future simple because it did not work before. If Temple were in for all sports it would not have made any difference in how the football program faired. Temple received a lot of money with very little to show for it. The fans are to blame in Philly for a dismissal performance of college football. I will state this again, when number 1 Miami was in town a few years back only about 6,000 fans showed up.

Philly is a pro town and college basketball big 5 town and any football interest may be left for the Penn State grads.

The Big East football schools have everything to gain and nothing to lose with a split. Basketball would not fall off at all and Notre Dame brings very little to table. With all the new bowls, who needs the Irish for bowl deals.

So bring on two more schools for ten (don't care which two) and move to all sports.

The Big East gains much needed regular football schedule of 8 or 9 conference games and keeps all the OOC money in the family and most important avoids the needs to schedule 1AA schools.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
[quote author=panthersc97 board=football thread=1146205842 post=1146205842]
Does anybody have a list of the payouts for the new and existing bowls for 2006-2007. What are the potential payouts for the new bowls. The BE will take what it can get and all they have to do is win and put fans in the seats to help the paydays grow.

Carolina,

I know this doesn't answer your question but I found the payouts for the bowl games for 2005.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:19 am 
All-Star
All-Star

NCAA apparently will meet tomorrow with representatives from Houston to discuss Houston Bowl situation.Looks like if bowl is saved,it may be run by different group and may have different name.
Recent article from Houston paper concerning this story discussed on BE MB at http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/bigeast/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=17284

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:51 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
NCAA apparently will meet tomorrow with representatives from Houston to discuss Houston Bowl situation.Looks like if bowl is saved,it may be run by different group and may have different name.
Recent article from Houston paper concerning this story discussed on BE MB at http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/bigeast/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=17284

I read the article but don't see any mention of the BE mentioned in the meeting. Is our famed Trained Goose going to get "BLINDSIDED" again by the B-12, MWC, CUSA and the Texans.

By the way has anyone seen or heard anything about the money on this savior contract the BE has just negotiated for BB. What's being done for FB. Is the BE hullabaloo turned out to be a dwarf along side the B-10 announcement. They provided figures to back their claims. Are we to figure the the Trained Goose just went into hiding with his head in the sand so he can claim he was blind sided by the B-10 and the rest of reality along with past that never saw it coming from the ACC and Navy.

Show me the Money> :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8-) ??? ::) :-[ :-X :-/ :-* :'(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Articles from Texas papers indicating that NCAA heard presentation from Houston group yesterday.They will make decision and announcement soon.Unclear whether BE would be involved in any new bowl arrangement.
Link at http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4008243.html

Link to additional Texas paper at http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/062806dnspofwbowl.3dad754.html