Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hawai'i Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:30 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

June Jones has left and with him both of Hawai'i's all-American Jr. WRs. This means Hawai'i will lose it's star QB and all 4 of it's starting WRs.

The university decided to hire defensive coordinator Greg McMacklin as it's next head coach. I think this was actually the right choice.

Hawai'i has a unique team/family vibe that you really don't want to lose. Hiring in house made sense --- if there was a good candidate.

Hawai'i defense came through a number of times this year and played chippy when push came to shove. A potent offensive team is often paired with an unfocused, sloppy defensive team, as the defense expects the offense of outscore everyone. It is the sign of a very good motivator/coordinator to keep a defense focused and playing well from play to play. I thought several times during the season that "if June Jones leaves, we should hire the defensive coordinator guy".

Come to find out the guy has a NUMBER of skins on the wall. Both times he came to Hawaii the defense shot up to 70 spots nationally and the team won. He has had similar success at other schools. He has been a pro assistant. He has consistenly won as a head coach at lower levels. He won recruiter of the year in the Big XII in 2001. He can recruit, he can motivate, he can teach, he gets the run and shoot, he gets the team's mentality and methodology, and he can win as a head coach. This was a very good hire, IMO.

My only concern was the university offering him over 1 million dollars a year. June Jones was paid in the 800K range in his last contract and the university had to really pull together to get him that. Part of me really questioned whether we were just throwing our BCS earnings at the guy to prove to the media that the state of Hawai'i is not cheap, rather than paying him what we paid june and investing the rest into upgrading the facilities to help him recruit. After reading the article below, I am OK with the pay. I think he can continue what he accomplished with June Jones this year and if he does, he will be worth that contract.

http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/pr.html?prid=14924&p=3

Last edited by finiteman on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.