CollegeSportsInfo.com Forums
http://collegesportsinfo.com/forum/

Conference Television Money
http://collegesportsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2271
Page 58 of 84

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

Brett McMurphy article(previously posted in another thread)discussing BE FB/ESPN deal at http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ng-sources

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

ESPN blog article comparing major college conference tv deal revenue at http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollar ... sion-deals

Author:  tute79 [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

Thanks for this illuminating post, Freaked !

So is the ACC appears to be trailing other "big 5" conferences right now by $3 million per school, per year.
And they shoudl be due another "look-in" since replacing Maryland with Louisville, and adding Notre Dame (5 FB games / year, presumably 2-1/2 -> ACC FB contract, and ND basketball).

This differential would hardly make me want to jump conferences if there were a $50 million exit fee standing in the way.


I think last year, I had heard Iowa got a "distribution" of something like $24 million for a year....
maybe the extra money (on top of what is stated in this article) was iowa's share of Big Ten bowl proceeds for that year.

Author:  seanbo [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

tute79 wrote:
Thanks for this illuminating post, Freaked !

So is the ACC appears to be trailing other "big 5" conferences right now by $3 million per school, per year.
And they shoudl be due another "look-in" since replacing Maryland with Louisville, and adding Notre Dame (5 FB games / year, presumably 2-1/2 -> ACC FB contract, and ND basketball).

This differential would hardly make me want to jump conferences if there were a $50 million exit fee standing in the way.


I think last year, I had heard Iowa got a "distribution" of something like $24 million for a year....
maybe the extra money (on top of what is stated in this article) was iowa's share of Big Ten bowl proceeds for that year.


ACC is 3 million behind (3rd tier included) other conferences are getting 20 million plus add 3rd teir to that total.

For example, Texas gets 20 million plus 15 million for 3rd tier. Florida gets SEC share and 10 million for 3rd tier. FSU gets 17 million, no 3rd tier.

Author:  tute79 [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

Yeah, so getting paid big-time for those Tier 3 assets is where it's at....

Doubt that any single school caan command a deal like Texas and the LHN (ESPN probably regrets that move from a financial stand-point)...

ACC is thinking about setting up the ACC Network. Would that mostly be airing Tier 3 assets ?
Who has rights to those games currently, and when does that expire, so those rights could be transferred to the ACC Network ?

Author:  seanbo [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

tute79 wrote:
Yeah, so getting paid big-time for those Tier 3 assets is where it's at....

Doubt that any single school caan command a deal like Texas and the LHN (ESPN probably regrets that move from a financial stand-point)...

ACC is thinking about setting up the ACC Network. Would that mostly be airing Tier 3 assets ?
Who has rights to those games currently, and when does that expire, so those rights could be transferred to the ACC Network ?


Why would ESPN pay the ACC for an ACC Network when it already owns the rights to thier tier 3? They won't.

Why would ESPN form aN ACC Network when it's investing so much in the SEC Network? Why compete against your new investment?

There will be no ACC Network. Selling their 3rd tier rights killed the ACC financially.

Author:  SJSUFan2010 [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

seanbo wrote:
tute79 wrote:
Yeah, so getting paid big-time for those Tier 3 assets is where it's at....

Doubt that any single school caan command a deal like Texas and the LHN (ESPN probably regrets that move from a financial stand-point)...

ACC is thinking about setting up the ACC Network. Would that mostly be airing Tier 3 assets ?
Who has rights to those games currently, and when does that expire, so those rights could be transferred to the ACC Network ?


Why would ESPN pay the ACC for an ACC Network when it already owns the rights to thier tier 3? They won't.

Why would ESPN form aN ACC Network when it's investing so much in the SEC Network? Why compete against your new investment?

There will be no ACC Network. Selling their 3rd tier rights killed the ACC financially.


ESPN doesn't pay any more, they would make more and in turn give part of that to the ACC. It would have to be a whole different channel with it's own advertising and cable fees or whatever else they do to make money. Like if they made an ESPNU2. They won't need to buy any more content, they'll just actually be able to show all the content they have the rights to and can't because there aren't enough hours in a day.

To answer your question Tute, ESPN owns the rights to everything ACC but cannot show all of the games they own so they allow Raycom to purchase some of the content (I think I've even read Raycom sells some of what they bought too but who knows). So more than likely to pull off an ACC network, ESPN would need to stop selling the third tier stuff and use that on a new channel. But ESPN is focused on an SEC network so they haven't been too interested in the idea. But seeing as how the Big 10 is making so much, it's hard for me to believe ESPN would be against the idea of an ACC network especially since there isn't that much overlap (for now at least).

Interestingly enough, there is an ACC network online for free. You could watch the entire ACC tournament on it. So we know there is plenty of content not making it on TV and there must be a desire to watch it or they wouldn't do it. I'm sure there are a lot of other factors at play here behind the scenes, but I would be surprised if there isn't an ACC Network on TV by 2016 at the latest.

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

Blog article out of Boise discussing ESPN/MWC tv deal at http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/boise-s ... onus-games

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

NYTimes article discussing new BE BB/Fox deal at http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/sport ... tball&_r=0

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

Article out of Annapolis discussing Navy tv deal situation with CBS and ESPN at http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/co ... 84979.html

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

Article out of Hartford reporting that BE FB league has announced BB tv deal with CBS at http://www.courant.com/sports/college/h ... 2847.story

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

Dennis Dodd blog article discussing BE FB BB tv deal with CBS at http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... l-with-cbs

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

CBS Sports blog article discussing expected announcement of SEC Network later this month at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... h-20-years

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

CBSSports blog article discussing ND and ACC tv revenue increase at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... l-annually

Author:  freaked4collegefb [ Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conference Television Money

SBD article reporting that SEC/ESPN have scheduled a presser in Atlanta at Noon(local) next Tuesday to officially announce SEC Network at http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail ... 2/SEC.aspx

Page 58 of 84 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/