Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:06 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bowl Games
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

With more and more teams starting or moving up to D1 what bowl games would you like to see come back? mine would be Bluebonnett, Cherry and Freedom Bowl.

Also does anyone have any information on 3 bowl games proposed in late 80's early 90's the 3 where Cactus in Arizona, Crab in Maryland and Fellowship in Indiana?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I certainly recognize all the bowl tie-ins, but would like to see a greater dimension for performance results as to major bowls.

Utah (good candidate for BCS placement), Boise State (also worthy of BCS consideration), Ball State, and BYU, are fine programs with great seasons. Of course each shall go bowling, but not all to the finest spots.

6-6 teams want that TV exposure, one last opportunity to finish with a winning record, and the extra practice time in preparation for the next season. But bowls were suppose to be a reward for great accomplishments and viewers to see quality games. That doesn't always happen, particularly in some of the lower tier bowls.

When 6-6 teams are picked/placed, teams such as Vanderbilt which hasn't gotten/earned a bowl bid in a long time, I appreciate seeing them having the opportunity. The traditional power-houses at 6-6, we dwell on what went wrong, assume they should have done better, and question the offers. Of course, each schools fans may see it different and looking for that upbeat finish.

There are a lot of bowls, but each each it appears somebody gets undeserving left out compared to some that did receive bowl bids. Wasn't Troy a recent victim of this?

Last edited by sec03 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

davids wrote:
Yes. Last year. This happened in the early 1990's as well.

10-1 Wyoming
9-2 Army both got snubbed for teams that were not even good to be in there.

The early 90s is a completely different ball game then now. There are hardly any teams that get left out of bowl games this year. 68 teams are selected! How many are bowl eligible this year?

I do wish - at a minimum - that the bowl guys can get Ball State and Boise State to face off in a bowl game.

davids wrote:

Ball State does deserve a big bowl game. Better than a Big East team. They did played Bowling Green if I remember right who Bowling Green did beat Pittsburgh.

Gotta like the transitive property applied to sports. ::)
It works in math (obviously) but shouldn't be the SOLE reason why team A would be team B.

What if Buffalo beats Ball State in the MAC championship? Would your argument still hold water?

Because BGSU beat Pitt, I guess that means BSGU could beat USC or even Penn State - because that's the transitive property too (BGSU beat Pitt beat Iowa beat PSU beat Oregon State beat USC).

But wait, there's more. Texas beat Oklahoma and TTech beat Texas... did TTech beat Oklahoma? NOPE

Even more.... Ole Miss beat Florida and Florida beat South Carolina and Vandy but Ole Miss lost to both of them? Interesting....

Shall I go on?

One last thing - remember, Pitt ISN'T the conference champ.

Last edited by panthersc97 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Bowl Games
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

with all these teams potentially moving up i could see a large number of bowl games coming back or new ones. the ones i like to see is the cherry bowl, garden state bowl at the new meadowlands stadium, aloha bowl and oahu bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:56 am 
Freshman
Freshman

The San Diego Chargers are the third applicant for winning the NFL 2010. This Super Bowl team is bubbling with talent and going to be the glowing start amongst all other teams. This is the prediction made by me by looking over the past performances of Chargers. :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Freedom Bowl, Cherry Bowl, Bluebonnet Bowl, Cactus Bowl, Fellowship Bowl, Crab Bowl, Garden State Bowl, Aloha Bowl, Oahu Bowl and Pineapple Bowl. These Bowls I like see come back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:13 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

footballgod wrote:
The Freedom Bowl, Cherry Bowl, Bluebonnet Bowl, Cactus Bowl, Fellowship Bowl, Crab Bowl, Garden State Bowl, Aloha Bowl, Oahu Bowl and Pineapple Bowl. These Bowls I like see come back.

Not unless Coach Fox has a good team with Minnesota St. make it back to the Pineapple Bowl

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.