NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:28 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Birmingham discussing NCAA Bowl audit that showed that all FBS conferences made money during the 2012-2013 bowl season.Link at http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013 ... _show.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:54 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Good to hear - it's a shame that smaller conferences and school lose money on bowl appearances many times.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

dfn2006 wrote:
Good to hear - it's a shame that smaller conferences and school lose money on bowl appearances many times.

If it ended today BYU would be on the outside looking in of the playoff (which basically would need 3 or less 0-1 loss teams) although they'd be a near lock for an access bowl, its still going to be a bitter consolation prize.

Playoff - FSU, Bama, OU, Oregon
AQs - ND, Mich St, East Carolina
At Large Selection - SEC #2 (A&M), B12 #2 (Baylor), P12 #2 (UCLA), SEC #3 (UGA)
Last spot would be between - An undefeated BYU and the remaining field ACC/B1G #2, P12/B12 #3, SEC #4....BYU should be the pick.

But in making the non-playoff bowl matchups I'd see them doing something like this...
Orange - ND v Mich St
Cotton - Baylor v A&M
Peach - UGA v UCLA
Fiesta - BYU v ECU

or this...
Orange - ND v UGA
Cotton - Baylor v A&M
Peach - BYU v ECU
Fiesta - Mich St v UCLA

But either way BYU gets a chance to play with the big boys and simply gets pawned off on the Go5 champ very similar to the Boise/TCU Fiesta bowl in 2010. They get a game, they get the money, but they don't get the recognition nor attention they deserve. If BYU was a Go5 fb member they'd likely have been the only representative and would be guaranteed a better bowl against 2nd-4th place P5 member and be considered this Cinderella team of 2014.

This won't be corrected. If BYU ever has another good season they'll simply be placed in a bowl against the Go5 champ. The only solution is for BYU to join a P5 conference (unlikely), the AAC as a fb only member, or the MWC as a full member; that way they'll be the only non-P5 selection and get a good game against a P5 opponent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:01 pm 
Junior
Junior

Wow there, you are putting a lot of stock into BYU. Ok if BYU was to join a Go5 conference :shock: then it would be the AAC or slight chance they may go back to MW. Either way it is no guarantee that they would win either conference. Right now BYU is a Indy and is getting to hand pick who they play year in year out. If they joined a conference (AAC, or MW) then all the sudden they have no control over 8 games a year. Instead of BYU playing one or two big games a year they would be playing ECU, UCF, Houston, Cincy out of the AAC every year, and Boise St, Fresno St (I know down year this year but they will be back), Nevada etc. BYU just signed a deal to play UMass 4 times in the coming years (really UMass), so I wouldn't just Hand BYU that automatic bowl bid year in year out if they joined a Go5 conference. Yes there would be some years that they are the best and would go, but not on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
Wow there, you are putting a lot of stock into BYU. Ok if BYU was to join a Go5 conference :shock: then it would be the AAC or slight chance they may go back to MW. Either way it is no guarantee that they would win either conference. Right now BYU is a Indy and is getting to hand pick who they play year in year out. If they joined a conference (AAC, or MW) then all the sudden they have no control over 8 games a year. Instead of BYU playing one or two big games a year they would be playing ECU, UCF, Houston, Cincy out of the AAC every year, and Boise St, Fresno St (I know down year this year but they will be back), Nevada etc. BYU just signed a deal to play UMass 4 times in the coming years (really UMass), so I wouldn't just Hand BYU that automatic bowl bid year in year out if they joined a Go5 conference. Yes there would be some years that they are the best and would go, but not on a regular basis.

Mods: I meant to post these on the BYU thread, if you can please move them.

hibbett2222: I never said BYU would win the AAC/MWC, I just said if they did they'd likely be the only Go5 representative as it would be very rare for 2 non P5 schools to get an invite. This way they'd be in an access bowl with a P5 opponent and get the Cinderella treatment from ESPN. But with BYU as independent they'll most likely always end up in a game versus the Go5 school even in their best years and if they don't like that the only way out is to join a conference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:41 am 
Junior
Junior

Yes you may be right in the fact that BYU may only get the chance to play the Go5 champ this year, and maybe in future years, but that is really no different then there fall back plan which is a bowl game against the AAC in the Bahamas. The main difference would be more money and on a bigger stage. (which is what all schools want). BYU is not going to play for a national championship anytime soon. They don't play a tough enough schedule. However we must remember that if BYU gets to play in a big bowl it is as a at large which means that someone picks them (rather it is the committee or the bowl itself, I don't think that they would pick BYU against ECU). BYU would go to a bowl in the western or mid-western part of the country (if able) and ECU would stay on the east coast.