Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Group of 5 FBS talk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
This is not related to a certain conference but the question I have is exactly how big is to big? is 12 the right number? Is 16 the best number? I don't understand why conference's want more then 12 teams myself. Never have I understood this. Conferences with 14 seems like a odd number and 16 seems to me to many. Lets say all the power conference's enlarge themselves to 16 teams. What then? Will they be happy? That makes 80 teams in power conferences. If that happened it would destroy the Go5 conferences. Yes while there are some FCS call ups still out there, they are not able to compete with these mega conferences. Heck even among the 80 schools that could be included in the P5 conferences, there are not but maybe 30-40 good schools that would be competitive year in and year out. So why? What happened to the days of 9 team conferences like the ACC had where you played everybody. Did not have all these FB only teams. Anyone remember when the Pizza Hut would give away Basketballs that had all the schools in the conference on it and it only took up a small portion of the orange ball. If they were to do that today, the entire ball would be covered with school logo's!

Before I answer your reply that I just quoted, I hope that you saw my latest review on the Go5 schools.

And to answer this, I know huh? Just like you, I indeed missed the old days of 9-team or 10-team conferences. Where in football, the best team in each league is the conference champ, and faces everyone else in conference play (8 games in 9-teams; and 9 games in 10-teams); while in basketball or any other sport, it's doubled (with home-and-home series); while in baseball it's tripled (only 3-games series per team scheduled but home-and-home basis per every 2 years).

But it slowly & steadily started to change in 1992, when the SEC became the 1st conference to expand upto 12 teams within Div. I-A/FBS (which we all thought it would be the maximum cap, with 8 games for football and a fair balance of 16 games (5 x 2 in division play + 6 vs others from other division) for basketball.

Then the Big XII followed up in 1996 when the Big 8 absorbed the top 4 Southern teams of the defunct SWC (Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech & Baylor). So did the WAC, which however went beyond 12 after absorbing the 3 leftovers of the defunct SWC (TCU, SMU & Rice) plus then-fb Indy & MVC-Oly sports member Tulsa, who were joined by former Big West members UNLV & San Jose St.

To be honest, if those 4 non-Western schools hadn't joined the WAC, that conference would be more stable with a CCG, and then the Mountain West would not exist as of today.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
This is not related to a certain conference but the question I have is exactly how big is to big? is 12 the right number? Is 16 the best number? I don't understand why conference's want more then 12 teams myself. Never have I understood this. Conferences with 14 seems like a odd number and 16 seems to me to many. Lets say all the power conference's enlarge themselves to 16 teams. What then? Will they be happy? That makes 80 teams in power conferences. If that happened it would destroy the Go5 conferences. Yes while there are some FCS call ups still out there, they are not able to compete with these mega conferences. Heck even among the 80 schools that could be included in the P5 conferences, there are not but maybe 30-40 good schools that would be competitive year in and year out. So why? What happened to the days of 9 team conferences like the ACC had where you played everybody. Did not have all these FB only teams. Anyone remember when the Pizza Hut would give away Basketballs that had all the schools in the conference on it and it only took up a small portion of the orange ball. If they were to do that today, the entire ball would be covered with school logo's!

16 would be very similar to the old 8 team conference with the only exception being that you have a few pre-scheduled games with the other side of your conference and you end with a CCG. IMO 10 or less is fine and 12/16 is okay, but I don't get wanting 11, 13, 14, 15 or 17+.

But if all conferences go to 16 the Big 12 won't be a power conference anymore, so 80 power teams will never happen, the pool will only shrink. Currently its at 65 and could reasonably go up to 68 (Big12+2=12, ACC+1=15 w/o ND or 16 w/ ND), but if everyone goes to 16 then the Big 12 (and the ACC to a lesser extent) gets raided and what's leftover is a conglomerate of Big12 rejects+MWC/AAC/BYU and they will not be considered a power conference in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Time to summarize on how the schools had progressed per conference upto week 7:

a.) AAC: UCF won another consecutive game, but in rally fashion and in OT over BYU; Cincinnati got stormed by Miami (Fla.); Temple got another important victory, but over Tulsa (talk about improvement in 4-1 so far); #19 East Carolina almost got upsetted, but managed to survive over USF; Houston prevailed over Memphis; and Tulane held off UConn. Team(s) with momentum: ECU & UCF

b.) C-USA: Marshall pounded over Middle Tennessee; Rice defeated Army in beatdown fashion; UAB dominated North Texas; UTSA won a close one over FIU; and UTEP edged Old Dominion. Team(s) with momentum: Marshall for sure, now that the Thundering Herd are still unbeaten AND also got ranked in the CFP standings/polls; reminds me of the mid-2000's Boise St.

c.) MAC: Eastern Michigan beat Buffalo; Bowling Green surpassed Ohio; Akron won again but over Miami (Oh.); UMass (FINALLY) got its 1st victory of the season as they routed Kent St.; Western Michigan won a close one over Ball St.; Toledo lost to FBS team Iowa St.; and Central Michigan defeated Northern Illinois. Team(s) with momentum: Akron (former Auburn coach Terry Bowden is trying hard to make this program a healthy, consistent and passionate one)

d.) MW: San Diego St. beat New Mexico; UNLV defeated Fresno St. in OT; Utah St. defeated Air Force; Colorado St. held off Nevada (5-1 and still not ranked yet? They did beat Boston College a few weeks ago); and Hawaii defeated Wyoming. Team(s) with momentum: Colorado St. and Utah St.

e.) Sun Belt: ULM got throttled by Kentucky (on it's best run since 2007); Arkansas St. howled over Georgia St.; Troy (like UMass) FINALLY got its 1st victory, but over SBC returnee New Mexico St (who lost 5 straight after a 2-0 start); Appalachian St. lost a close one in OT against Liberty (former FCS foes); and Georgia Southern defeated winless Idaho. Team(s) with momentum: Georgia St. and Arkansas St. (if there were 12 members today, these 2 would meet for the SBC Title Game)

Your thoughts or reviews guys?

P.S.: Ever since the events with conference realignment had occurred, almost every P-5 conferences wanted to reach upto 16 schools. Like, I wonder if they had seen the model sample the WAC used when it reached to 16.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Just re-grouping a bit after listening to an intense game between Top 5 teams in Notre Dame & my team Florida State. Anyways, time to summarize on how the schools had progressed per conference upto week 8:

a.) AAC: Houston beat Temple (so much for Temple's high hopes on having a well-improved season); USF defeated Tulsa in unanswered point-style fashion; UCF won its 4th consecutive game, this time over Tulane; and Cincinnati has broken its 3-game skid with a blowout win over SMU. Team(s) with momentum: With ECU in a bye, it's otta be UCF and Houston (who might still be in the AAC title hunt like Temple)

b.) C-USA: FAU rallied to defeat WKU; Louisiana Tech beat UTSA; Middle Tennessee stopped the flame on UAB; Southern Miss. pecked over North Texas; and #25 Marshall dominated over FIU. Team(s) with momentum: Marshall for sure, now that the Thundering Herd are still unbeaten AND still ranked in the CFP standings/polls

c.) MAC: Ohio held off over Akron (who which I pick to win); Western Michigan beat Bowling Green; UMass got its 2nd straight win, this time vs. Eastern Michigan; Kent St. got it's 1st victory of the season by pounding Army; Ball St. won a close one over Central Michigan; and Northern Illinois won a close but high-scoring game over Miami (Oh.). Team(s) with momentum: Northern Illinois

d.) MW: Boise St. beat Fresno St. (still in the MW title hunt hopes); Air Force defeated New Mexico; San Jose St. won in OT on the road vs. Wyoming; Colorado St. won over Utah St. via a clutch FG; Nevada gave BYU its 3rd straight loss; and San Diego St. held off Hawaii. Team(s) with momentum: Colorado St. and Boise St.

e.) Sun Belt: ULL blazed over Texas St.; Appalachian St. pulverized Troy; Idaho got its 1st win of the season by beating New Mexico St.; and South Alabama won a close one over Georgia St.. Team(s) with momentum: South Alabama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Just re-grouping a bit after listening to an intense game between Top 5 teams in Notre Dame & my team Florida State. Anyways, time to summarize on how the schools had progressed per conference upto week 8:

a.) AAC: Houston beat Temple (so much for Temple's high hopes on having a well-improved season); USF defeated Tulsa in unanswered point-style fashion; UCF won its 4th consecutive game, this time over Tulane; and Cincinnati has broken its 3-game skid with a blowout win over SMU. Team(s) with momentum: With ECU in a bye, it's otta be UCF and Houston (who might still be in the AAC title hunt like Temple)

b.) C-USA: FAU rallied to defeat WKU; Louisiana Tech beat UTSA; Middle Tennessee stopped the flame on UAB; Southern Miss. pecked over North Texas; and #25 Marshall dominated over FIU. Team(s) with momentum: Marshall for sure, now that the Thundering Herd are still unbeaten AND still ranked in the CFP standings/polls

c.) MAC: Ohio held off over Akron (who which I pick to win); Western Michigan beat Bowling Green; UMass got its 2nd straight win, this time vs. Eastern Michigan; Kent St. got it's 1st victory of the season by pounding Army; Ball St. won a close one over Central Michigan; and Northern Illinois won a close but high-scoring game over Miami (Oh.). Team(s) with momentum: Northern Illinois

d.) MW: Boise St. beat Fresno St. (still in the MW title hunt hopes); Air Force defeated New Mexico; San Jose St. won in OT on the road vs. Wyoming; Colorado St. won over Utah St. via a clutch FG; Nevada gave BYU its 3rd straight loss; and San Diego St. held off Hawaii. Team(s) with momentum: Colorado St. and Boise St.

e.) Sun Belt: ULL blazed over Texas St.; Appalachian St. pulverized Troy; Idaho got its 1st win of the season by beating New Mexico St.; and South Alabama won a close one over Georgia St.. Team(s) with momentum: South Alabama

Beyond the discord at major campuses such as Florida and Michigan, here, in no particular order, are some others that are having very troubling seasons:
Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, and Kansas (P-5s')
G5-types: Troy, Army, Georgia State, Kent State, Miami (O), Tulsa, UNLV, New Mexico, NMSU, Idaho, Hawaii, UConn, SMU
That's not a complete list, but most of them.
Some of the above are usual and expected.

(Not including a number of schools that are disappointed to date; but have won a few here and there).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
Beyond the discord at major campuses such as Florida and Michigan, here, in no particular order, are some others that are having very troubling seasons:
Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, and Kansas (P-5s')
G5-types: Troy, Army, Georgia State, Kent State, Miami (O), Tulsa, UNLV, New Mexico, NMSU, Idaho, Hawaii, UConn, SMU
That's not a complete list, but most of them.
Some of the above are usual and expected.

(Not including a number of schools that are disappointed to date; but have won a few here and there).

I can understand your point, but this topic is only about Go5 schools, not troublesome P-5 schools. And so far, as of last night, only a few are being talked about or impressive, like once-beaten ECU (who beat UConn last night) and unbeaten Marshall of C-USA; which both are ranked inside the Top 25.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Happy Halloween folks! Sorry for the delay, but time to summarize on how the schools had progressed per conference upto week 9:

a.) AAC: #18 ECU held off UConn; Cincy defeated USF; Memphis trounced SMU; and UCF beat Temple. Team(s) with momentum: ECU & UCF

b.) C-USA: Rice sparked over North Texas; UAB lost to Arkansas; #23 Marshall defeated FAU; Louisiana Tech beat Southern Miss; WKU won in a high-scoring game over Old Dominion; and UTEP shutout UTSA. Team(s) with momentum: Louisiana Tech & of course, Marshall for sure, which they are still unbeaten AND still ranked in the CFP standings/polls.

c.) MAC: Northern Illinois defeated Eastern Michigan; Western Michigan beat Ohio; Toledo won in a close game over UMass, maintaining unbeaten in MAC play; Ball St. beat Akron; Miami (Oh.) defeated Kent St.; and Central Michigan edged Buffalo. Team(s) with momentum: Northern Illinois & Toledo

d.) MW: Boise St. defeated BYU; San Jose St. lost to Navy; Utah St. topped UNLV; and Colorado St. won its 6th straight game of the season by beating Wyoming. Team(s) with momentum: Boise St. & Colorado St. (division foes, but Boise St. leads tie-breaker still).

e.) Sun Belt: ULL defeated Arkansas St.; South Alabama edged Troy; Georgia Southern blasted over Georgia St.; and Texas St. came back from behind in the 4th quarter to beat ULM. Team(s) with momentum: South Alabama & Georgia Southern

P.S.: Breaking news! And early week 10 update: Georgia Southern blown out Troy to be 7-2 (5-0 in Sun Belt play, only a few to win the conference title, despite being ineligible for a bowl game), which I believe that they should be ranked eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:54 am 
Senior
Senior

jlog,
I like your reviews. This was a very good posting, but why did you stop?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:
jlog,
I like your reviews. This was a very good posting, but why did you stop?

Thanks. And the reason I stopped this because nobody else felt interested or bothered to care on keeping the conversation going. Now that this football season has finished, it would be pointless until the 2015-16 season starts. Hope this helps explain why.