NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:20 am 
Freshman
Freshman

The non-bcs teams should get together and talk to the ncaa about forming a playoff for an ncaa national championship in i-a football. Should the big east fold for lack of teams, then the non-bcs teams will have the advantage in numbers.

The ncaa could use the current i-aa format as a template on how the i-a teams could be chosen for the playoffs. Otherwise, bowls that wish to be associated with the playoffs could be used instead of home advantage for the higher seed.

Before anyone says that it can't be done, just look at i-aa as an example. There are currently four conferences that don't participate in the i-aa playoffs(swac,pioneer,ivy, and nec). With this in mind, I say that the bcs conference champions can opt out of the playoffs for the bcs bowls. Otherwise, the participating conferences will get an automatic invite, plus any team with an 8-3 or better record can be invited for an at large spot. With the current setup the ncaa could probably negotiate for pretty decent money with the networks. The deal probably wouldn't be as big as the current bcs deal, but it would more than likely be better than what most of the current bowls give out. Also, it would provide for a decent alternativel to current i-a members that do not have a realistic chance to compete for the bcs championships. Instead those schools will have to to satisfy themselves with the fact that they won the ncaa football championships.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:59 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I agree with you about a playoff with mid majors but there has to be something done about the Bowl System.Thats the large part of this crap going on nowadays.It has to have bowl tie-ins somehow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Why would they "Mid-Majors" agree on this when most winning teams already go to a Bowl Game anyway.