Freshman
Freshman

What changes would you like to see?

Post subject: The BCS
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

My vote is for a hybrid.

I prefer that national championships be decided on the field, but also feel that the bowl system is a great tradition for college football; inter-conference rivalries, big school match-ups that might otherwise never be held. Plus, this hype and celebration allows a lot of schools to participate that otherwise might not go to a play-off. And for those who say there are too many bowls, remember the money this brings to the game, the idea of having them simply as options for entertainment, and trust that the market will correct a true overa-bundance.

- all conferences at 16 members
- 4 4-team divisions
- 3 games against your division, 4 more against one other division, which is rotated every year.
- Conference holds semi-finals and championship, which guarantees the final two have not met in the regular season.

- BCS with champions only. Add one at large berth if needed for even number.
- Post-BCS championship/play-offs ONLY WHEN NEEDED if more than one undefeated team emerges from the BCS.

The BCS and bowls stay alive, the fans are guaranteed a true champion. All conferences get an equal shot at the title, but the power conferences can still try to hog the bowl ties. Imagine: UCLA awaiting the outcome of Tennessee/ Oklahoma to see if someone will force them to a championship game!

Last edited by gunnerfan on Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:08 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I agree totally. The great injustice today with the current BCS setup is that the medium and small conferences, like CUSA, is simply left out of the mix and the big dollars accrued from the BCS.

Your solution, whereas still has some holes in it, does close the gap considerably. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
My vote is for a hybrid.

I prefer that national championships be decided on the field, but also feel that the bowl system is a great tradition for college football; inter-conference rivalries, big school match-ups that might otherwise never be held. Plus, this hype and celebration allows a lot of schools to participate that otherwise might not go to a play-off. And for those who say there are too many bowls, remember the money this brings to the game, the idea of having them simply as options for entertainment, and trust that the market will correct a true overa-bundance.

- all conferences at 16 members
- 4 4-team divisions
- 3 games against your division, 4 more against one other division, which is rotated every year.
- Conference holds semi-finals and championship, which guarantees the final two have not met in the regular season.

- BCS with champions only. Add one at large berth if needed for even number.
- Post-BCS championship/play-offs ONLY WHEN NEEDED if more than one undefeated team emerges from the BCS.

The BCS and bowls stay alive, the fans are guaranteed a true champion. All conferences get an equal shot at the title, but the power conferences can still try to hog the bowl ties. Imagine: UCLA awaiting the outcome of Tennessee/ Oklahoma to see if someone will force them to a championship game!

Gunnerfan, I favor a play-off system to decide the national championship - the same play-off that exists in every other sport & every other division of college football. THIS DOES NOT MEAN ELIMINATION OF THE BOWLS. There is no reason why a play-off could not be held after completion of the bowls. After all, this is intersession & will not interfere with academics.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:05 am 
Junior
Junior

I guess I prefer giving the BCS have nots a little easier access. Make the ranking easier, I mean after all being ranked in the top 6 is pretty tough.
I'm opposed to ANYTHING that would take away the importance of the regular season games. A playoff isnt going to happen for a long time, because the conferences dont want it to.
College Football is pretty special. When a loss in September can knock you out of the National Championship Hunt.... it makes the whole season exciting. Something the NFL and College Basketball aren't. IMHO.