Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:46 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Semantics?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:35 am 
Senior
Senior

I've often gotten the feeling that semantics play a bigger role in big time college sports than we think. I get the feeling when Memphis State changed its name to the Univ. of Memphis, image was very much in mind.

There are a number of schools that would like to be bigger players than they are, but their names (IMHO) hurt them.

Example: If the state of California wanted to elevate a school like SD State to the status of UCLA or Cal, it could do so with a name change. UC Berkeley, as the original in the UC system, gets to call itself California or Cal (where other UC campuses are not); it would lose something if it had to be called Cal-Berkeley. What if SD State could call itself Cal State (it's a part of the Cal State system). With a name like Cal State, wouldn't the school be more likely to be considered for Pac Ten membershp than something called San Diego State? Wouldn't that satisfy the state's desire to see SD join LA and the Bay Area in the Pac Ten?

How about Buffalo, part of SUNY. What if it were called "New York State".....wouldn't that be a boost for its atheltic programs and make it more attractive to a major conference, while creating interest throughout the state?

I wonder how many simple name changes could make a big difference for the schools involved.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:11 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Ah, bgdz, a go at the regionally-challenged schools.

The history of these poor institutions is that when they were started, the powerful state legislature folks, all of whom were composed of alumni from whatever were the one or two most influential institutions in the state, made sure they would not have names which would rival the flagship school(s). In order to get the school started, they had to accept a regional marketing concept. Thus, to use Michigan for example, we have regionally-challenged West Michigan, Central Michigan, and Eastern Michigan, all substantial large schools with more students and graduate programs than say, a private school like Wake Forest or Notre Dame.

The dumb thing is the presidents of these institutions, once they got started, never realized they could attract a more state-wide or even national following if they would shed their regionally challenged names. Even abbreviations which incorporate the state university name seem to work (does anyone think of UCLA as "regionally challenged"?).

In this sense, Ohio has been smarter than Michigan or Illinois--Ohio went for unique names such as Kent State, Toledo, Miami, Ball State, etc.

The hard thing is thinking of the names to switch to. Here's a wonderful project for the alumni and friends of these schools to get involved in. Where is EMUHuron?

:D :D :D

Last edited by javaman on Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:04 pm 
Senior
Senior

Even abbreviations which incorporate the state university name seem to work (does anyone think of UCLA as "regionally challenged"?).

UCLA is so prominent and on pretty much equal footing as Cal so it works well. But other than UNLV and maybe UAB, thes "at" schools don't tend to have high profile.

The kiss of death for naming most of these state schools:

The state's main university at another location: Wisconsin-Green Bay, Ark-Little Rock, UNC-Charlotte. These were set up to put these schools on equal status with the flagships, but it doesn't work. When people think of the Univ. of Wis., they think of Madison. Same is true in other states.

Directional schools: Eastern Michigan, North Texas, South Florida, SW Mo, etc

City-State: Fresno State, Cleveland State, Witchita St, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Since we are talking semantics, I do believe there is a difference between some of the directionals. Specifically, the difference between a direction and a location. I feel that Eastern Michigan carries less pride than East Carolina. Of course, it helps that most people are used to hearing something before Carolina. Another condition hurting the Florida and Michigan schools is the plethora of schools involved. Western, Central, and Eastern Michigan! South Florida (which is still central) and Central Florida in a state that already has 3 big name schools. It sounds like they're trying too hard to latch onto the state name, as if they're mooching of the namesake of the schools that raised it to prominance.

I agree the more uniquie names can add prestige. Marshall just sounds so esteemed many people I know assumed it was a private school wrought with academic accolade! No solutions yet, but I'll give it some thought.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:45 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
I wonder how many simple name changes could make a big difference for the schools involved.

This is exactly why Southwest Texas State admins want to change its name to Texas State - San Marcos.

They think it will enhance it's overall image and get them better students, faculty and research grants.

The idea of moving to I-A football was also a part of the discussion of why the "directional" name needed to be changed, but with a screwed up state budget, that thought has been put on hold indefinitely.

Really, the San Marcos was only put there since the other 8 "Texas State" schools were never going to allow SWTS making themselves sound like the flagship campus of the system.

http://www.mrp.swt.edu/mrp/communication/name_change.html

Last edited by earthx on Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:31 pm 
Senior
Senior

SWTSU should definitely change their name. There are two things worse than directional names: 1) A directional name that includes two of the cardinal directions and 2) an incorrect directional name.

SWTSU has both. San Marcos is just south of Austin...in Southeast Texas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:07 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

And of course we're forgetting the famous...

University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople

;) :o ;)

"go you fightin' prairie dogs"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Which is why we don't need East Carolina in the ACC. There's only North and South Carolina.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople

I fear you may be putting us on about USNDH, Javaman, but if the school exists, despite having a rotten football team, it must have a wonderful hoops (or hooples) program.

And, to some degree, the above mentioned mouthful has nothing on the poor folks in Indianapolis, who have to endure the very real yet absurdly named IUPUI, Ind. Univ Purdue Univ. at Indianapolis

Go Boilerhoosiers!

Interesting fact I did learn on some past trip to Disney World:

No fooling: Central Florida Univ. was originally to be the Orlando campus of UF, but obviously realized nobody was going to take a school named UFO seriously.