NCAA Map
  It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:16 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I'm a big fan of having a national championship play-off - & one that allows access for non-BCS schools. In an effort to be realistic, I'm trying to think of how to do this in a way that may be obtainable. Here's my proposal, mostly using existing BCS rules:

1. 8-team play-off.

2. ANY conference whose champions can average a Top 12 BCS ranking over a 5-year period automatically has its champion included. (modified "Big East rule")

3. The next highest rated independent or non-automatic conference champion is also included. ("Best of the rest" rule) Over the past 4 years, the following 4 teams would have qualified:
99-00 - Marshall
00-01 - Notre Dame
01-02 - BYU
02-03 - Notre Dame

4. Other spot(s) will be given at-large to the highest rated team(s) of any kind that are not already invited.

5. The first round (4 games) begins with existing New Year's bowls. Teams would be seeded 1 - 8, 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, etc.

6. A conference that loses a past champion to another conference can no longer use that past champion to qualify. The next highest ranking current member from the vacated championship year will be substituted for the defecting champion to calculate the Top 12 ranking. Conferences that add teams cannot use those teams past accomplishments with another conference to qualify.

This means only 3 extra games during January intersession - 1 extra game each for 2 teams, 2 extra games for 2 other teams. Everyone has access & it keeps the tournament small.

No special rule for Notre Dame. They can try to qualify as an independent or at-large - or join a conference.

The re-configured Big East would no longer qualify according to the formula, so they would have to qualify as "Best of the rest" or at-large. They could earn an automatic status by the on-field performance of their champion - just as any other conference earns it or loses it.

All conferences have access but there is no glut of undeserving teams.

Last edited by friarfan on Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:04 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Now you're thinking more modestly, FriarFan, and more realistically. Remember, March madness originally started with 32!

Let me down-size you even a bit more. Did you read in the BCS press conference transcript that there was a hint one of the presidents was thinking of one game after the four bowls? I think there may be a possibility they go back to the traditional format for the bowls, with each conference going to its traditional sites (Rose Bowl will be PAC10/BIG10 again). Then whoever is ranked number one and two after the bowls would play a week later.

:)

Last edited by javaman on Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Yes, Jman, I did see that. My problem with it is that there is no way that non-BCS schools will ever qualify. :(

BTW, who is that coffee drinker in your picture, James Bond? Cool dude. 8-) You? :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:23 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I've pasted the quote below for info--it genuinely surprised me:

J. Dubow
Harvey, this is Josh Dubow from AP in New York.

H. Perlman [Nebraska chancellor]
Yes?

J. Dubow
When you say an NFL-style playoff system [which was taken off the table in the preliminary remarks], does having a one or three-game situation after the bowl games is that consistent with not being an NFL-style playoff system?

H. Perlman
I think that option would certainly be open, certainly at least one game after the bowl games, but certainly, anything that would involve much more than that I think would be like an NFL playoff. "

-----
On the picture thing, we all have fictitious names here--I also have a fictitious picture (aren't all avatars fiction?)cause I couldn't find as nice a java cup or mug as I had at first--it dissapeared from the web...
If you're curious you can point your mouse at the picture, then right click, then examine "properties" and the identity and source are revealed. If I find something nicer it may change again

;)

Last edited by javaman on Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:11 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Yes, Jman, I did see that. My problem with it is that there is no way that non-BCS schools will ever qualify.

FriarFan, I think non-BCS schools will be given a modest portal in some formula, consistent with where the BCS folks are are headed, namely a traditional set of 4 NewYear's bowls, to be followed by one playoff bowl... The meeting in September with the non-BCS folks is probably to get input in how they can become a guaranteed 8th slot into this system...

The way to think of playoff possibilities, IMHO, is to focus everything on the 4 NewYear's bowls and restoring their traditional matchups, as central to a future configuration. Preceding them will eventually be conference championships in all conferences as the feeders (Big10 was the last holdout on basketball tourney as well, and they will eventually come around). And once there is just one post-New Year's bowl, as it appears might very well happen in the next BCS incarnation, the public pressure to add just one more round in the next BCS go-round will be considerable...

Wallah..you have an eight team playoff, and a 16-team playoff if you count conference championships and non-BCS portal(s).

I am afraid though there will never ever be "seeding", as your original post suggests--The Bowls want to get back to their original regional ty-ins and traditions, and you can't blame them--it increases attendance. And as practically all Big10 and Pac10 fans on this board would attest, there is something very non-Rosey about a Rose Bowl without a Big10/Pac10 matchup. College football is tradition, and from all the news reports lately, it appears BCS may try to restore at least this great tradition....

I'm kind of excited by these latest reports myself...

:) :) :)

Last edited by javaman on Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:10 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Javaman, I can live with that. In fact, you're making me positively optimistic. 8-) Must be that great cup of Joe you're serving. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

And it wouldn't be juts the prospect of more fans for the bowl games that makes it more interesting:

(Sorry I'm days behind, fellas; My daughter's Birthday and all.)

As mentioned on other threads, having the bowls go back to their traditional affiliations would encourage more rivalries between conferences, somthing that has been missing since the last round of realignments. Perhaps the BCs is repackaged as a broadcast of all the bowl games that feature conference champions - and you wouldn't even have to change the BCS name, really!

Still some tweaking to be had, particularly after this round of realignments, but this could make everything a nicer fit by slimming the herd of conferences and reenforcing(sp?) the rivalry factor.