NCAA Map
  It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:23 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

There was an article in SI or ESPN recently listing the Top Ten college football programs . . . not who are the top 10 teams going into this year but the top 10 in terms of those who are repeatedly successful over a number of years in the recent past - and also who have tradition going back to the distant past, draw fans to their stadiums, & show do well in TV ratings. They also sited a similar Top Ten as it would have appeared 20 years ago. It was interesting to see the changes. I disagree with their list, which put Notre Dame second or third, so I'll pos my own & invite others to do the same.

1. Miami
2. Oklahoma
3. Ohio State
4. Florida State
5. Nebraska
6. Michigan
7. Florida
8. Tennessee
9. USC
10. Wisconsin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:18 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

hmm, interesting FriarFan. Are those articles on web at all?

Miami as #1 would probably lack historical perspective and most other regions of the country would probably assert it might be tainted by just a small amount of eastern bias? (smile)

You're probably familiar with this list?:

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/misc/all_time_rankings.php

Even if you tweak and play with the different ranking scenarios here, Miami would never come out on top, and Notre Dame would be much more prominent.

I would also probably quible with Michigan below Ohio State. By your own formula, "tradition going back to the distant past, draw fans to their stadiums" (largest stadium, attendance, alumni base), # of Big10 championships, etc. UofM would still rank ahead of OhioState...
8-)

Also interesting to check out cybercats ratings on his latest map of the map thread in this regard...

And by the way, it is very interesting to see what happens to NotreDame when you tweak by strength of schedule ratings on the above link....
;D

Last edited by javaman on Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Javaman, the criteria were the article's not mine. Sorry but I lost track of where I saw it, but if I come across it again, I will post it.

The point of the article was to list which are currently the top programs, considering those criteria. In other words . . . current but not just for this year. I have a hard time including Notre Dame in the top ten when they have not been a dominant program in recent years. That is the first criterion - & in my book, far & away the most important if we are talking about currently the top 10 programs. Would UCLA qualify on a basketball list? Probably not - & they've won a national championship more recently than Notre Dame has - & just as many championships in total.

Regarding Miami, I think that 20 years of national championships is long enough to have established some tradition. . . . & you may be revealing your age by saying that 20 years ago isn't ancient history. ;D But certainly each person has to balance all of these factors in their own way.

I can't argue with you about Ohio State & Michigan. I gave a lot of weight to the fact that they are the reigning national champs. Someone else might not give that as much weight.

Just my 2 cents . . . Hopefully all of our different opinions make this fun. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:26 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Ah, here it is... comparing 1984 with 2004...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/2003/preview/news/2003/08/05/power_programs/

And it has a link to an important parallel story rating conferences for the same twenty year span...
And there the most interesting rankings to study are not the top few, but numbers 6-10, since position 6 (and possibly 7) will be crucial to BCS success...

:D

Last edited by javaman on Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:53 am 
Junior
Junior

Very interesting thread. I read the Si article as well, and they were gauging top 10 programs. You can read a whole lot more into the title and stir your emotions, but as said, taken as intended. 1984 Top Ten.

I love the Link to the College Football Datawarehouse.
It tells a better story about college football, and programs that have been around for some time.

TV exposure, marketability, and public awareness were the last three listed criteria of the poll. That explains a little bit why ND is ranked #2.