NCAA Map
  It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:02 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:57 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

When I returned to the Midwest fifteen years ago, I went to live in a nice suburb for the first time in my life.

My previous lives in Mountain West, Midwest, and South had no suburban experience... In Mountain west where I grew up I lived in the shadow of a modest downtown, in Midwest I lived in nice student housing in a college town, and in the South in a historic house area close to downtown. My one year in the east was in Cambridge Mass, which you can't compare to anything at all (smile)...

In the "burbs" in the midwest, there is this interesting practice of putting out school flags on football saturdays. In my "burb" on August 30, out will come flags representing fairly equally UofM, MSU, and ND. There is a smaller smattering of OSU and IU flags, and an occasional NWU flag, and even one PSU flag. Practically half of the houses will have these flags. I participate, but I won't tell you which flag (smile)...

I find it a very interesting cultural phenomenon, which I enjoy but did not encounter anywhere else, though of course I never really had a chance to observe true suburbs in the other areas of the country I lived.

Now that I have described it, I am very curious whether this "football flag" tradition occurs in other parts of the country as well? Am I now in my suburban life experiencing a typical suburban behavior mode which occurs everywhere, or is this "flag" thing unique to the midwest?

Just really curious...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:37 pm 
Senior
Senior

In Texas hill country, it isn't uncommon to see flags of UT and eaTme.

I swar, I seen 'em!

In other parts of the South, however, the college flag phenomenon is nothing compared to that of hanging up a flag of a country that hasn't existed for nearly 140 years.

Last edited by lsutootnanny on Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
In other parts of the South, however, the college flag phenomenon is nothing compared to that of hanging up a flag of a country that hasn't existed for nearly 140 years.

If I'm reading your allusion correctly, Tootnanny, then Bravo! (IF not, my bad) All I need to say is I live in Georgia and we've had plenty of national press about our flag issues. Which is to say, it's not so much an issue with the flag as it is with the "people" behind it.

Case in point: Lynard Skynard was at a WalMart north of Atlanta for an autograph session earlier this year. A local radio station sent their field reporter/Jackass wannabe to interview the folks waiting in line. Seeking out the most obvious rednecks he could find, he asked one of them about the moves to change the state flag and thus remove/reduce the presence of the Confederate Battle emblem. No lie, the guy actually said the people wanting the change should "let it go. This is the 90's!"

Anyway, back to Javaman's original thought. I think this idea was a way of bringing together the Martha Stewart movement for more decoration and the macho reaction of "Well, Martha, if I got to put a flag on my trailer, it's sure gonna stand for more than flowers!" Here on Atlanta's southside there are plenty of porches adorned with flags for each holiday or season, and come this time of year the flag will undoubtedly display a proud G, T, A or the occassional gator or yellow jacket. I think it's neat (yes, I said neat) because it provides an expanded sense of comradery; All the dads in the neighborhood communicating to one another about how they'd all be at the bar watching the games with you if they could.

Gamedays will also bring about the little flags on the car windows, or streamers and bows tied to the antennae. And of course, the shirts and the hats. I applaud that level of support and would like to see such committment out of some of our ACC brethren.