NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Future of NAIA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

from NCAA.org

• Approved a request from Briarcliffe College to withdraw from the Division II membership process. Briarcliffe had been asked to repeat year one of the exploratory process.

naj32, can you find info on these schools about looking into D-II
AZUSA PACIFIC UNIVERSITY (I got nothing)
FROSTBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (I got nothing)
LEHMAN COLLEGE OF CUNY (I've heard about it but never seen any info)
NORTHWOOD UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA (Haven't heard anything in 3 years about D-II)
ST.CLAIR COLLEGE OF ONTARIO (I got nothing)
UNIVERTSITY OF VIRGINIA AT WISE (I got nothing)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Naranjo32 and FresnoStAlum,thanks for the posts.

Commentary commending Sioux Falls in trying to move from NAIA to NCAA D-2.Link at http://www.argusleader.com/article/2009 ... /OPINION01

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. -

A few tidbits....

Azusa Pacific is in the 11-team (all California) Golden State Athletic Conference (NAIA), and the guy who wrote the 3 part article on the future of the NAIA noted that the GSAC and also the 6-team (all California) California-Pacific Athletic Conference (CPAC) were looking at moving to NCAA Division II, lock, stock and barrel.

I have CUNY-Lehman in the D-III CUNYAC (City U. of New York Athletic Conference).

I have Northwood (FL) as NCAA D-II independent in the South Region.

Virginia-Wise recently changed conferences within NAIA from the Appalachian Athletic Conference (leaving them with 8) to the Mid-South Conference (giving them 8). Montreat (NC) and Convenant (GA) of the AAC have been exploring the move to NCAA D-III, so perhaps Virginia-Wise were trying to escape a sinking ship, and then have since announced that they are looking at NCAA D-II.

I have nothing on Frostburg State (Maryland) - other than Pittsburgh Pirates former first baseman Bob Robertson played there.

This St. Clair College of Ontario must be in the CIS. I can't believe they have done anything significant relative to the NCAA, since all the talk is about Simon Fraser (BC) and U of British Columbia potentially becoming the first Canadian schools in the NCAA, eh ???

Please post whatever additional info you happen to come across - I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I read jason's 3 part NAIA losing members to the NCAA thing. I don't remember him saying the GSAC & CPC being a lock for D-II. The NAIA say its not gonna happen. You can't trust them though they hope everyone stays. Menlo from the CPC has interest in D-II.

How do you have Northwood(FL) as D-II Indy? Northwood has never followed though with its D-II exploration. look at the ncaa.org release of the schools in the different levels of the provisional periods, Northwood isn't there. St. Thomas(FL) is D-II Indy.

St.Clair isn't even in the CIS

Covenant is going to D-III, Montreat is thinking about it.

Reinhardt is joining the AAC according to the NAIA board.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Big E, aka EPJr. posted it from the ncaa website last summer (Briarcliffe since has dropped its D-II app, Academy of Art is listed as a PWC member on its website)

NDIANAPOLIS-The NCAA, Division II Management Council has approved 12 institutions as new active members of the division, effective September 1, 2008.

The 12 new members successfully completed their exploratory and provisional requirements and were recommended for active status by the Division II Membership Committee at its summer meeting.

The new members are (with location and conference affiliation) listed below:

• Brevard College (Brevard, N.C.; South Atlantic Conference)

• Central State University (Wilberforce, Ohio; Independent)

• Chestnut Hill College (Philadelphia; Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference)

• Claflin University (Orangeburg, S.C.; Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference)

• Dixie State College (St. George, Utah; Pacific West Conference)

• Flagler College (St. Augustine, Fla.; Independent)

• Georgia Southwestern State University (Americus, Ga.; Peach Belt Conference)

• Newman University (Wichita, Kansas; Heartland Conference)

• Notre Dame de Namur University (Belmont, Calif.; Pacific West Conference)

• Seton Hill University (Greensburg, Pa.; West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference)

• Texas A&M International University (Laredo, Texas; Heartland Conference)

• University of Texas of the Permian Basin (Odessa, Texas; Heartland Conference)

The dozen institutions bring Division II’s total number of member schools to 308 and add five members to the regions west of the Mississippi River.

“These institutions have worked diligently through the membership process and have demonstrated their capacity to comply with Division II policies and procedures and advance the division’s strategic-positioning platform,” said Management Council Chair Debbie Chin, the athletics director at the University of New Haven. “On behalf of the Division II Management Council, I am proud to say that these 12 institutions chose Division II.”

The Council also approved several institutions’ advancement in the new-membership process. Lake Erie College (Painesville, Ohio) was moved into year one of the provisional period in the membership process, effective September 1, 2008.

Six other institutions were moved into year two of the exploratory period in the membership process, effective September 1, 2008. They are as follows:

• King College (Bristol, Tenn.)

• Lincoln University (Lincoln University, Pa.)

• St. Thomas University (Miami Gardens, Fla.)

• University of Arkansas, Fort Smith (Fort Smith, Ark.)

• University of Illinois at Springfield (Springfield, Ill.)

• Urbana University (Urbana, Ohio)

In addition, the Management Council approved the following five schools’ applications to enter year one of the exploratory period in the membership process, effective September 1, 2008:

• California State University, East Bay (Hayward, Calif.)

• Dominican University of California (San Rafael, Calif.)

• Lambuth University (Jackson, Tenn.)

• Maryville University of St. Louis (St. Louis)

• Ohio Dominican University (Columbus, Ohio)

One institution, Briarcliffe College in Bethpage, New York, was asked to repeat year one of the exploratory period. The Membership Committee did not accept applications from two schools (San Francisco Academy of Arts and Young Harris College in Georgia) to enter the Division II membership process at this time.

(Source NCAA.org)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:37 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Great stuff guys!

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

the 1st logo of the Lion is the Academy of Arts Urban Knights. What I find odd is that Dominican was approved by D-II and they don't have their logo on the PWC. AofA had to re-apply and they are on the main page. They were listed on the D-II basketball site in the standings with a 0-0 conf record for the PWC. Dominican was not. My guess is that since A of A came out of no where, where else would you list their record? They were never NAIA. PWC says A of A joined in 2008, Dominican joins in 2009.

http://www.pacificwestsports.org/landing/index

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:32 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

WHAT IS UP WITH MIDLANDS CONFERNCE DISBANDING ANY INFO GUYS?
ANY INFO ON IF YOUNG HARRIS COLLEGE IS APPLING FOR NCAA II THIS YEAR.
JUNIOR WHERE YOU GET THAT CALIFORNIA PACIFIC CONFERENCE AND GOLDEN STATE ATHLETIC CONFERENCE ARE GOING NCAA II?

NO MENTION OF REINHARDT COLLEGE GOING TO AAC?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

naj, Reinhardt is going to the AAC, Its on the SSAC board on the NAIA message board site.

According to the the head of the NAIA message board MCAC is not going to disband because all of the schools that applied for other conferences were denied.

Young Harris should be passed over again since they only have 6 sports and no basketball.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:28 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

ST.CLAIR COLLEGE OF ONTARIO WANTED TO APPLY THERE HOCKEY TEAMS TO NCAA II

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

D-II doesn't have hockey, where are you getting this stuff?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:38 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

they applied to ncaa II but told had no hockey would need to upgrade to ncaa I

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Actually there IS D-II hockey, however there are so few schools there's no championship. All of the D-II hockey schools play in the ECAC, which I believe is where St. Clair wanted to apply to.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:02 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

tarkiokid wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Actually there IS D-II hockey, however there are so few schools there's no championship. All of the D-II hockey schools play in the ECAC, which I believe is where St. Clair wanted to apply to.

Actually, thought St. Clair was interested in DIII and playing Michigan schools as it's just a few miles from Detroit. DIII was not opened up to Canadian schools, only DII (and DI by the one sport exemption).

Another Canadian school that supposedly was looking at the NCAA was Lakehead U in Thunder Bay. With it's locale it's remote from anywhere. Minnesota DII schools are actually more travel accessible by road (Michigan by plane or boat) than eastern Ontario schools.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ECAC is D-III, the D-II schools either compete at D-I or D-III.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next