PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:24 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Xavier's Thad Matta to Ohio State

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1835879

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:18 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Sean Miller was promoted to head coach at Xavier on Thursday, replacing Thad Matta.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1836327

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:23 am 
Sorry, Link doesn't work without sub. to ABQ Journal

73-Year-Old NMSU Coach Henson Retires 21 Wins Shy of 800

By Brad Moore
ABQ Journal Staff Writer
LAS CRUCES— New Mexico State University men's basketball coach Lou Henson had wanted badly to rise from his wheelchair this season to resume coaching his Aggies and stay in pursuit of a hallowed milestone.
But with those hopes finally abandoned because of persistent health problems, the 73-year-old Henson rose from his wheelchair away from the court Saturday to deliver a somber message.
Henson announced at a news conference, to no one's surprise, that his 41-year career was over— 21 wins short of 800. Only four other coaches in the history of Division I basketball have reached the 800 mark.
Only Bob Knight has more victories and is an active coach.
"I have always been a very demanding coach," Henson said. "I expect my players to give 100 percent or they come out of the game.
"I can expect no less of myself. So because I am physically unable to give my all, I am taking myself out of the game."
Henson has dealt with a series of health problems in recent years. In the summer of 2003, he was stricken with non-Hodgkins lymphoma, a form of cancer. Most recently, he was hospitalized in September with viral encephalitis, an acute inflammation of the brain that left his right leg disabled and kept him from coaching.
"It's not a good day," said NMSU senior guard Allen Haynes. "I just wish coach Henson the best."
Henson, who began his coaching career at Las Cruces High in 1958, leaves coaching as the sixth-winningest coach in Division I history (779 wins).
He is the all-time winningest coach at New Mexico State and Illinois, and took both schools to the Final Four. Only 10 other coaches have taken two schools to Final Fours.
Henson led NMSU, his alma mater, to the Final Four in 1970. In 1975, he left for Illinois, where he coached 21 seasons and reached the Final Four in 1989.
After retiring from Illinois in 1996, Henson returned to Las Cruces. When former Aggies coach Neil McCarthy was forced out of the scandal-ridden program, Henson agreed to take over for the 1997-98 season as an interim coach.
Henson offered to coach for free, but was forced by NCAA rules to accept a salary of $1 per month. After going 18-12, Henson accepted a four-year contract.
New Aggies athletics director McKinley Boston says he plans to conduct interviews at the Final Four in St. Louis, where coaches congregate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:55 pm 
Sorry, Link doesn't work without Sub. to ABQ Journal
Sunday, February 20, 2005

Mens Basketball: Joe Harge Wants To Lead the Aggies

By Randy Harrison
Journal Staff Writer
His surname is synonymous with University of New Mexico basketball greatness. He has said a chance to coach the Lobos would be his "dream job."
But read on even if you think you've heard this before.
Joe Harge is a Lobos fan, satisfied Ritchie McKay has the program on solid ground and, meanwhile, wants to rebuild the basketball program at rival New Mexico State.
"Without a doubt," said Harge, asked if he is interested in the soon-to-be vacant position.
"My agent is getting a (résumé) together and I'll get that sent in the next couple of days. I go back to years when they won big, and I think they can again. Especially going into the (Western Athletic Conference), that's exciting."
Harge, whose father Ira played at UNM with McKay's father Joe in 1962-63, is coaching the championship-contending Arkansas RimRockers of the American Basketball Association.
As an active, winning head coach, the former St. Pius and Oregon State player may be the anomaly among those in the basketball world who would find appealing the New Mexico State position.
NMSU athletic director McKinley Boston said he will begin to review applications Monday while also trying to put together an offer package that will be competitive in the WAC. He also will likely continue networking in order to identify additional candidates who haven't yet applied.
"That's normal," said Boston.
That said, the pool of candidates to fill the retired Lou Henson's position is intriguing.
It includes:

Tony Benford, Arizona State assistant: The Hobbs native and former UNM assistant can call on his in-state ties and his record as a recruiter (Charles Smith, Clayton Shields, Kenny Thomas to the Lobos). ASU head coach Rob Evans, an NMSU alum, has said in published reports that he would endorse Benford.
"I'm getting my résumé in next week," Benford told the Journal. "It's a very appealing job ... maybe the best job in (the WAC). They've got a chance to get to the NCAA Tournament every year."

Craig Esherick, ex-Georgetown head coach: He's the anti-Benford in that Esherick has never even lived outside the Washington, D.C. area. But he says that doesn't matter.
"I'm serious about the job," said Esherick, who was 103-74 as GU head coach before he was fired after the 2003-04 season. He also was a longtime assistant to John Thompson during the glory years that included the 1984 national championship team. "I'm most proud of the fact that we've won without any hint of an NCAA violation and the kids graduated."

Bubba Jennings, Texas Tech: The Clovis native's candidacy has been confirmed, though the Journal has been unable to reach him for comment. He is director of video operations for Texas Tech. He previously coached for nine seasons at Artesia High.

Larry Shyatt, Florida assistant: The former UNM assistant and Wyoming head coach "has not been contacted and is not a candidate," said a University of Florida spokesperson, who at the same time didn't confirm or deny Shyatt's possible interest.
"I have heard his name," said Boston.

Nolan Richardson, ex-Arkansas head coach: Boston didn't say Richardson has even expressed interest, but acknowledges the UTEP graduate's star power. "I'd be happy to talk to him," Boston said.

Tony Stubblefield, NMSU interim head coach: Boston said Stubblefield has been encouraged to apply even though the Aggies are laboring through their worst season in two decades. Stubblefield had the job thrust into his lap when Henson's poor health prevented him from coaching this season.