NCAA Map
  It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:47 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ways to improve RPI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:01 pm 
Senior
Senior

We are nearing the end of another basketball season. I was thinking of ways to add lower division opponents to RPI scheduling. While i know no lower division school plays 30 total games against division 1 teams. I was thinking of combing all games involving d-2 teams into one division 2 "team" and so on for each division or the NAIA.

The first way to add lower division schools to the RPI formula would be to just automatically create 3(4) divisional ranks below all active D-1 basketball schools. Division 2 would permanently be ranked as the 352 school in RPI. Division 3 will be 353 and NAIA would be 354. A fourth division could be created to schools that might not belong to any other organization. For transitional schools the first 2 years of transition you belong to the lower division based in RPI. After the end of the second year you move up(or down) to the division you moved to. The pros of having the spots static is that regardless of having a full 30 game schedule the divisions would count in the RPI. The bad thing is that it will or could drop RPI's allot if you play a lower division team.

The second way is to average out for each division and keep them free flowing. You would count each game the schools play and common opponents For example Chaminade would add 3 decent teams to the division 2 ranking through the Maui invitational and Alaska Anchorage university would add another 3 games to the division 2 rankings. Unlike the first suggestion the divisional teams RPI would fluctuate as a regular schools would. So should a lower division 1 school loses to a d-2 team it would help there rpi. Also having this formula will also keep schools going to the Maui invitational or the Alaskan shootout. The only plus i see for this formula is that it wouldn't as many schools as the first formula would.The biggest drawback is that their isn't going to be a full 29-30 game schedule to base it off from and each d-2 school varies in strength.

I figure there isn't much to talk about since realignment stopped for now.Any opinions or thoughts about adding lower divisions schools to the RPI or other RPI tweaks you would like to see?

Us National Soccer Team