NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:03 pm 
Senior
Senior

Here is some of the recommendations of the NCAA comity to determine membership criteria to move to division 1.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome ... +-+1-11-01

( i put it here mainly because it doesn't fit under a realignment or a sport)

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

46566,good article regarding interesting subject.Looks like more info to come later this week.

Thanks
Freaked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:06 am 
All-Star
All-Star

46566,followup article from NCAA site regarding D-1 Leadership Council forwarding D-1 Membership requirement recommendations to the D-1 Board for review at their April meeting.This looks to be a rather lengthy process.
Link at http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome ... mendations

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

This is interesting. I think this committee, is trying to address a lot of the concerns that legitimate D-I schools have about somehat marginal "move-ups" from D-II. The moratorium was put in place to stem the flow of the "move-ups" until this type of criteria can be put in place.

I can follow the logic of much of the criteria, however, it seems to strongly discourage a team from becoming a D-I independent. Generally I am not in favor of independent teams, however, imagine a team from Alaska that might "have the goods" to be a legitimate D-I member. It might be next to impossible for them to find any conference willing to take them, solely due to geography. Should this prohibit them from moving to D-I ? It's a bit hypothetical right now, and I understand the difficulties faced by independent schools, but should such a team forever be locked out ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:19 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tute79 wrote:
This is interesting. I think this committee, is trying to address a lot of the concerns that legitimate D-I schools have about somehat marginal "move-ups" from D-II. The moratorium was put in place to stem the flow of the "move-ups" until this type of criteria can be put in place.

I can follow the logic of much of the criteria, however, it seems to strongly discourage a team from becoming a D-I independent. Generally I am not in favor of independent teams, however, imagine a team from Alaska that might "have the goods" to be a legitimate D-I member. It might be next to impossible for them to find any conference willing to take them, solely due to geography. Should this prohibit them from moving to D-I ? It's a bit hypothetical right now, and I understand the difficulties faced by independent schools, but should such a team forever be locked out ?

The question is does the Great West fall into the category of an NCAA conference. They lack the membership criteria (number of schools/time together). But they are a conference that will take anyone...so they'd take any upgrades.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

FCS MB thread discussing new D-1 membership requirement proposal at http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... =4&t=12060

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

It's hard to view the Great West as an all-sports conference, due to:
a) lack of numbers (and they will lose South Dakota and North Dakota to the Summit), and
b) all member schools view it as nothing more than a stepping stone to a more stable situation.

The Great West seems to be like a "conference" of convenience that sponsors several sports.

It is possible to envision all the D-1 schools invited to conferences over the next 5 years (including those in the Great West). Longwood, NJIT, Chicago State, and Utah Valley State may have the biggest challenge finding a proper home....

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:44 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The discontinuation of the "continuity" and "core" requirements could have some interesting implications.

1) Say Conference USA gets split up, but not in a clean 6-6 fashion because someone went to a conference with an automatic BCS bid; right now the remnant of five or fewer would be up a creek in basketball, but the lack of a continuity requirement (currently six schools playing together for five years) would allow Conference USA to rebuild itself without having to merge with another conference. Even a BCS conference like the Big 12 could benefit from this should the rest of the BCS AQ Conferences to go to 16 schools.

2) The Big East, or any conference, would have an easier time splitting into two conferences.

3) The Summit could finally move to a more "permanent" arrangement without having to resort to taking members all across the country. The eastern schools (Oakland, IUPUI, IPFW, Western Illinois) might be able to find a more suitable home without destroying the Summit.

4) If the Great West actually does start earning automatic bids in some sports, how many do they need to become a "multisport" voting conference?