NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:05 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I read a rumor that the MAC is pushing its schools to sponsor scholarship hockey to make it a conference sport.

Miami, BGU, and WMU already play D1 hockey.

Buffalo, Kent St, Ohio, and EMU all play at the top club level.

Toledo, CMU, NILL, and Akron play at a lesser club level.

Only Ball St does field any type of team.

If that was to happen it would make things interesting.

I see Denver joining Air Force as UConn's replacement in Atlantic Hockey as they'd make a great travel partner and are a private school which fits the AH model.

Also I could see North Dakota & Neb-Omaha joining MAC hockey as affiliate members (as they they just booted all there non-D1 affiliates), leaving the rest of the WCHA and NCHC to merge and for a 12 team conference made up of mostly D2 members.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:56 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

tkalmus wrote:
I read a rumor that the MAC is pushing its schools to sponsor scholarship hockey to make it a conference sport.

Miami, BGU, and WMU already play D1 hockey.

Buffalo, Kent St, Ohio, and EMU all play at the top club level.

Toledo, CMU, NILL, and Akron play at a lesser club level.

Only Ball St does field any type of team.

If that was to happen it would make things interesting.

I see Denver joining Air Force as UConn's replacement in Atlantic Hockey as they'd make a great travel partner and are a private school which fits the AH model.

Also I could see North Dakota & Neb-Omaha joining MAC hockey as affiliate members (as they they just booted all there non-D1 affiliates), leaving the rest of the WCHA and NCHC to merge and for a 12 team conference made up of mostly D2 members.

A few years ago the Olympics eliminated wrestling as one of their sports, but have since reinstated it. At the time I saw it as a possible means to an end - i.e., MAC hockey. The six MAC schools that offer wrestling are the four with D1 club hockey, plus CMU and NIU. Dropping wrestling would free up about 12 of the 18 scholarships needed for hockey, making it a relatively easy move from a Title IX standpoint. Now that wrestling is back in the Olympics, I don't know the status of MAC hockey. I'm certainly in favor of it, but I'm also not a wrestling fan, so I'm not unbiased. It could be that the wheels were already set in motion before the reinstatement, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Denver to Atlantic Hockey is a non-starter. The AHA is a cost containment league that limits scholarships to about 12. Also, travel partners are not relevant in hockey; teams usually play a two-game series, typically on Friday and Saturday evenings. Finally, I’ve never seen it in writing, but it is my understanding that Air Force provides free flights to/from Colorado Springs for AFA teams; otherwise there is no way Air Force would be allowed in that conference.

I'm not sure the MAC would want North Dakota, Nebraska Omaha, and Denver because they are trying to cut back on travel. I think they might prefer Robert Morris, Niagara, and Canisius which are closer. I think the NCHC missed an opportunity when they included lower division schools (Colorado College, Duluth, St. Cloud) instead of Bowling Green, which would have resulted in a smaller conference, but evenly balanced between west and midwest. Could be wrong, but I don't see North Dakota and Denver abandoning the NCHC so soon, as they were the driving force behind its creation.

However, I do agree that the lower division schools should go back to the WCHA . . . except for the Alaska schools, which I've heard are planning to move up to full D1 status - and presumably join the WAC. In my opinion, the objective should be to put the D1 schools in separate conferences from the lower division schools.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Fairbanks with comments from WCHA Commish who indicates that his league is looking at possible future expansion.Unconfirmed report regarding ASU was also mentioned.Link at http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_nan ... f6878.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

- that link wasn't working for me. Got to a Fairbanks newspage, but not the article (I tried "Sports").
Can you elaborate on what was said ? ASU = ???? Alaska State ?? (where is that ?)
Thanks. Tute

Edit:I fixed link.Please try again.Freaked

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:17 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
- that link wasn't working for me. Got to a Fairbanks newspage, but not the article (I tried "Sports").
Can you elaborate on what was said ? ASU = ???? Alaska State ?? (where is that ?)
Thanks. Tute

Edit:I fixed link.Please try again.Freaked

You probably were able to read it, but for those just now looking the ASU referred to is Arizona St. I wonder if they'll have a special nickname for their hockey team like the "Ice Devils." Some schools have special nicknames for specific sports like UNLV is the Rebels but their basketball team is the Runnin' Rebels.

Bringing Division I hockey to the Southwest I think is just the beginning of seeing hockey/lacrosse/men's soccer opening up in the South and West.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks for fixing the link, Freaked ! Should ASU "Ice Devils" (I like that name too) go D-1, I suppose the WCHA might be the best fit.

I wonder who all will owe whom travel subsidies if they wind up with teams in Alaska, Alabama, and Arizona (Arkansas is the only "A" state not represented....).

Not sure where ASU currently plays. The 'Yotes were originally at the Sun's BB arena, but the rink did not fit well, and the upper level seat on the ends almost over-hung the rink.
The Jobing.com arena is up in Glendale, near the Cardinals Phoenix.com football stadium. That's quite a haul from campus in Tempe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37