NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:18 am 
Junior
Junior

after CUSA takes UTEP... the wac if smart would go to 12 and kill the south belt in the process.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:12 pm 
Junior
Junior

I dont see the wac in any bcs games anytime soon.. they have to decide a guaranteed $$$$ for champ game or long shot big $$$$ from bcs... odds only 50 50 they would even lose a bcs bid in a champ game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:06 am 
With all the movement trickling down to the WAC, Sunbelt, and possibly the Southland, how come Texas-Pan American and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi are never mentioned as replacements. They seem to be perfect travel partners.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:00 pm 
Texas Pan-Am and TAMU-Corpus Christi are perfect travel partners ... for what conference?

The WAC wants Division I-A football schools. The Sun Belt wants Division I-A football schools.

The Southland has 11 schools ... it doesn't want 13 teams fighting for one NCAA basketball bid.

The Southland also doesn't want any more non-football schools, and is even pushing revivals.

The Mid-Con has 9 schools and is stretched as far as it can go. South Texas is a no-no for them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:47 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

The Southland is losing ULM in 2006. Possible home for the two TX outcasts?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:05 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Since the Southland Football Conference is operated somewhat independently of the rest of the SLC, it is possible that they could add football-playing members that wouldn't be league members in the other sports (as they did with Troy St. & Jacksonville St. a few years ago).

With that in mind, I can see the SLFC adding Central Arkansas when they move up to 1AA in a couple of years (the transition in FB is only two years as opposed to 4 years in basketball). I believe SE Louisiana is going to be joining for football now that their first two years of reinstatement are behind them.

UT-San Antonio would be a good all-sports addition. Even more so if they add football. TACC might not be a bad choice.

The conference might keep an eye on Central Arkansas, add them for FB while evaluating their possibilities in other sports; and go ahead and approve the addition of another school, but time their entrance to coincide with CA's, so they can go straight from 10 teams to 12.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:03 pm 
The "SFL" lapsed when Jacksonville State joined the Ohio Valley Conference...also, Texas-San Antonio is already a member of the Southland (and seems to secure their automatic NCAA berth with relative regularity)...not really sure about the membership prospects of Central Arkansas, especially with the possibility of football returning to Lamar and Texas-Arlington...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:30 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Food for thought:
would the Southland be willing to snag a nearby SWAC school?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:05 pm 
Doesn't seem likely, but then again, Tennessee State (HBCU) plays a seven-game schedule in the Ohio Valley Conference...however, for scheduling purposes (i.e. "classics"), would such a school be (no pun intended) "blacklisted?"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:02 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Quote:
after CUSA takes UTEP... the wac if smart would go to 12 and kill the south belt in the process.

It wouldn't shock me to see the WAC bring in Montana, Montana St. and Sac. St if the I-A rules are finalized...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-attend11jan11,0,5861447.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:34 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

UTPA was basically asked to leave the Sun Belt due to the enormous distance from the rest of the conference's members (closest conference rival was Lamar, roughly 425 miles away), as well as some problems in the athletic department at the time. I doubt the SBC would take them back.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next