NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:13 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 659
Location: Columbus, OH
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
The PAC 10 has to follow suit and adds Colorado and 5 members of the old WAC


Lovely plan. But which 5 of the old WAC would be in the Pac-10, according to you? And I would see UMass in the ACC. The "Big 8" side of the Big 12 would be very fit for the Big TEN. And the rest of the Big 12 (making the former SWC crew + TCU) would fit well for the SEC.


To answer your question about who from the Old WAC makes it into the Pac 16 in this scenario I think Utah and BYU are both a given. That leaves us 3 more slots. In the early 90's Boise St wasn't even DI-A yet so they would not have been in the running. I think Colorado St, New Mexico, UTEP, San Diego St, and UNLV and Fresno St out of the Big West would be the candidates. I left out Wyoming due to lack of market and AFA because they are a service academy. I think Colorado St would be he next team in as both a rival to Colorado and since they are the most academic of he bunch. It's hard to say who gets he last two spots. New Mexico brings a new state and some modest research dollars. UNLV doesn't have the academics but that market was rapidly growing at the time. San Diego St is in a big city but its a California city and he 4 California schools might have given heavy opposition. Fresno St also has the anti-CA thing working against them. I'm going to say:

BYU
Utah
Colorado St
New Mexico
UTEP--sneaks in as a compromise candidate


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:23 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1010
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Putting everything aside, but imagine this. What would have happened if the Metro Conference sponsored football between the 1978-79 and the 1990-91 seasons? I'll eventually post up the analysis about this. For now, the new Metro Conference (in a dream conference basis) should be having (for all sports, especially football):

Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Southern Miss, South Carolina, UNC-Charlotte, South Florida and UAB

And for expansion, have Central Florida and a non-football school or two like Saint Louis or VCU.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:19 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1010
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Putting everything aside, but imagine this. What would have happened if the Metro Conference sponsored football between the 1978-79 and the 1990-91 seasons? I'll eventually post up the analysis about this. For now, the new Metro Conference (in a dream conference basis) should be having (for all sports, especially football):

Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Southern Miss, South Carolina, UNC-Charlotte, South Florida and UAB

And for expansion, have Central Florida and a non-football school or two like Saint Louis or VCU.


As I promised, from my previous post (which I quoted myself). The "*" represents symbolically as the conference champion:

1978-79 season

Florida State (8-3-0)*
Louisville (7-4-0)
Georgia Tech (7-5-0)
Cincinnati (5-6-0)
Memphis (4-7-0)
Tulane (4-7-0)

1979-80 season

Florida State (11-1-0)*
Tulane (9-3-0)
Memphis (5-6-0)
Virginia Tech (5-6-0)
Louisville (4-6-1)
Cincinnati (2-9-0)

1980-81 season

Florida State (10-2-0)*
Virginia Tech (8-4-0)
Tulane (7-5-0)
Louisville (5-6-0)
Cincinnati (2-9-0)
Memphis (2-9-0)

1981-82 season

Virginia Tech (7-4-0)*
Cincinnati (6-5-0)
Florida State (6-5-0)
Tulane (6-5-0)
Louisville (5-6-0)
Memphis (1-10-0)

1982-83 season

Florida State (10-2-0)*
Southern Mississippi (7-4-0)
Virginia Tech (7-4-0)
Cincinnati (6-5-0)
Louisville (5-6-0)
Tulane (4-7-0)
Memphis (1-10-0)

1983-84 season

Virginia Tech (9-2-0)*
Florida State (8-4-0)
Southern Mississippi (7-4-0)
Memphis (6-4-1)
South Carolina (5-6-0)
Cincinnati (4-6-1)
Tulane (4-7-0)
Louisville (3-8-0)

1984-85 season

South Carolina (10-2-0)*
Florida State (7-3-2)
Virginia Tech (8-4-0)
Memphis (5-5-1)
Southern Mississippi (4-7-0)
Tulane (3-8-0)
Cincinnati (2-9-0)
Louisville (2-9-0)

1985-86 season

Florida State (9-3-0)*
Southern Mississippi (7-4-0)
Virginia Tech (6-5-0)
Cincinnati (5-6-0)
South Carolina (5-6-0)
Memphis (2-7-2)
Louisville (2-9-0)
Tulane (1-10-0)

1986-87 season

Virginia Tech (9-2-1)*
Florida State (7-4-1)
Southern Mississippi (6-5-0)
Cincinnati (5-6-0)
South Carolina (3-6-2)
Tulane (4-7-0)
Louisville (3-8-0)
Memphis (1-10-0)

1987-88 season

Florida State (11-1-0)*
South Carolina (8-4-0)
Southern Mississippi (7-4-0)
Tulane (6-6-0)
Memphis (5-5-0)
Cincinnati (4-7-0)
Louisville (3-7-1)
Virginia Tech (2-9-0)

1988-89 season

Florida State (11-1-0)*
Southern Mississippi (10-2-0)
Louisville (8-3-0)
South Carolina (8-4-0)
Memphis (6-5-0)
Tulane (5-6-0)
Cincinnati (3-8-0)
Virginia Tech (3-8-0)

1989-90 season

Florida State (10-2-0)*
South Carolina (6-4-1)
Virginia Tech (6-4-1)
Louisville (6-5-0)
Southern Mississippi (5-6-0)
Tulane (4-8-0)
Memphis (2-9-0)
Cincinnati (1-9-1)

1990-91 season

Louisville (10-1-1)*
Florida State (10-2-0)
Southern Mississippi (8-4-0)
South Carolina (6-5-0)
Virginia Tech (6-5-0)
Memphis (4-6-1)
Tulane (4-7-0)
Cincinnati (1-10-0)

Total

Cincinnati (46-95-2)
Florida State (118-33-1)
Georgia Tech (7-5-0)
Louisville (63-78-2)
Memphis (44-93-5)
South Carolina (51-37-3)
Southern Mississippi (61-40-0)
Tulane (61-86-0)
Virginia Tech (76-57-2)

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:46 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 659
Location: Columbus, OH
ncaanopaawaa---interesting work on the Old Metro. Had the Metro committed to playing a full conference schedule together it would have been curious to see how they would have factored into the realignment of the early 90s, mid 90s, the 05 realignment, and the 2010-2012 realignment. I wonder if they would have had the strength and constitution to sick together and what their television value would have been.

Another thought; and I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, about a year ago a story surfaced that the Metro had considered a sponsoring a football mega conference in 1990. It would have had a North and a South Division and included:

North--BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple, Pitt, WVU, VA Tech, Cincinnati
South--ECU, South Carolina, Louisville, Memphis, Southern Miss, Tulane, Florida St, Miami

This union might have radically altered the course of college football. The ACC would be considerably weaker and perhaps open to poaching from the SEC or perhaps the ACC, seeing that a 16 team conference could be managable, might have proposed merging their 8 programs with 8 of the strongest East Coast Metro members. The Big 8 and SWC might have entertained the idea of a full merger too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:03 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1010
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
fighting muskie wrote:
ncaanopaawaa---interesting work on the Old Metro. Had the Metro committed to playing a full conference schedule together it would have been curious to see how they would have factored into the realignment of the early 90s, mid 90s, the 05 realignment, and the 2010-2012 realignment. I wonder if they would have had the strength and constitution to sick together and what their television value would have been.


Sure was interesting. And ironically, of course according to my analysis, my Noles won almost every conference season, with Virginia Tech having 2 titles, Louisville and South Carolina sharing a title each.

If there was a revival of the conference, it should be based on the old times, but with UAB, USF and Charlotte. Florida St., Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech would leave the ACC, Miami would be a great addition to the new Metro, South Carolina would leave the SEC, Arkansas would leave the SEC to join either the new Metro or the Big XII,

fighting muskie wrote:
Another thought; and I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, about a year ago a story surfaced that the Metro had considered a sponsoring a football mega conference in 1990. It would have had a North and a South Division and included:

North--BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple, Pitt, WVU, VA Tech, Cincinnati
South--ECU, South Carolina, Louisville, Memphis, Southern Miss, Tulane, Florida St, Miami

This union might have radically altered the course of college football. The ACC would be considerably weaker and perhaps open to poaching from the SEC or perhaps the ACC, seeing that a 16 team conference could be managable, might have proposed merging their 8 programs with 8 of the strongest East Coast Metro members. The Big 8 and SWC might have entertained the idea of a full merger too.


Yeah, I saw that article from a post of the Metro Conference article via Wikipedia. Although it never happened in reality, the Metro would had been a dominating conference as a football-sponsoring all-sports conference. Then C-USA would had never existed, although Florida State and South Carolina would still eventually join the ACC and SEC respectively. At that time, the old Big East was simply a basketball-primarily sponsoring all sports conference before adding Miami; and would be in danger if Boston College, Syracuse and Pittsburgh would join the Metro; as well as the A-10 if losing Temple, West Virginia and Rutgers; causing both conferences to merge to become a new all-sports conference in the Northeast/East regions. It would not affect the CAA if East Carolina should be leaving at that time.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:38 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1010
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
I was wondering. Shouldn't the Big 12 should be regional-specific? So far, it's mostly South Central, where the Texas and Oklahoma schools are at, and Lower West Midwest, where the Kansas schools are, along with Iowa State. In case the conference plans to dissolve, the Texas and Oklahoma schools should join the SEC while the Kansas schools, Iowa State and West Virginia should join the Big TEN.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: DREAM CONFERENCE FOR FUN
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:02 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:05 am
Posts: 693
Location: Louisville, KY
Let's rewind things a little bit:

Pac 10 (Pac 12 less Colorado, Utah)

SEC (drop Texas A&M, Missouri, South Carolina, Arkansas)

ACC (drop Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Virginia Tech, BC, add Maryland)

Big 10 (drop Maryland Rutgers, Nebraska, Penn State)

Big 8 (Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas, KSU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Louisville)

SWC (Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Houston, Rice, Utah, Memphis)

Big East (Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, WVU, Cincinnati, South Carolina, Connecticut, plus Temple and Virginia Tech for football only; non-football members DePaul, Marquette, Notre Dame, Providence, Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's and Seton Hall)

WAC (BYU, UNLV, Air Force, New Mexico, Colorado State, Wyoming, San Diego State, UTEP, North Texas)

Mountain West (Nevada, Boise State, Idaho, Utah State, New Mexico State, Fresno State, San Jose State, Hawaii)

C-USA (Tulsa, UTSA, La Tech, Tulane, Southern Miss, UAB, ECU, USF, UCF, Marshall)

SBC (USA, Troy, WKU, MTSU, ULL, ULM, Arkansas State, Texas State, FAU, FIU)

MAC - drop Buffalo, UMass, NIU

CAA - UMass, Buffalo, NIU, App State, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Charlotte, ODU

Independents - Army, Navy, Notre Dame


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:55 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1010
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
wbyeager wrote:
CAA - UMass, Buffalo, NIU, App State, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Charlotte, ODU


It would be awesome if the CAA plan to go FBS. But should also the rest of the schools like Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, etc.; for UConn to have rivalries with since the defunct Yankee Conference.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:21 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:25 pm
Posts: 1705
Where's it all headed ?

Suppose the "Big 5" conferneces got together and decided to consolidate into four 18-team conferences:



ACC (adds UConn, WVU, Cincy, Notre Dame FB):

North: BC, UConn*, Syracuse, Pitt, VaTech, WVU *, Cincy*, Louisville, Notre Dame (all sports*)
South: UVa, UNC, NCSU, Duke, Wake, Clemson, GaTech, FSU, Miami


Big Eighteen (adds Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State):

Legends (no, just kidding !) East: Rutgers, Maryland, PSU, OSU, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, MSU, Northwestern
West: Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State *, Missouri *, Nebraska, Kansas *, Kansas State*


SEC: (loses Missouri, adds Baylor, TCU, TT, OU, OSU):

East: South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas
West: Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, Texas A&M, Baylor*, TCU*, Texas Tech *, Oklahoma*, Oklahoma State*


PAC: (adds SDSU, UNLV, Boise St. BYU, Colorado State, Texas):

Pacific: UW, WSU, OU, OSU, Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA, SDSU *
Western: AU, ASU, UNLV *, Utah, BYU*, Boise St. *, Colorado, CSU*, Texas *


Best I could come up with.... nobody currently in the "Big 5" is left out (thus less of a chance for law suits...)
Only 1 team moves out of a confernece that continues to exist in the future (Missouri).
The 10 Big XII teams get re-distributed: 1 to ACC, 3 to B1G, 5 to SEC, 1 to PAC.

Going forward we have 72 teams:
64.5 curently in the Big 5. Notre Dame FB (0.5) comes in.
7 teams are promoted:
2 from AAC (to ACC): UConn and Cincy
4 from MWC (to PAC): Boise St., UNLV, San Diego State, Colorado St.
1 independent (to PAC): BYU

Format - play the other 8 in your 9-team division as a round robin.
Play 2-3 more from the other division. Maybe some protected rivalry games like Northwest-Illinios, Va-VaTech.
Don't necessarily have to have those inter-divisional games count in conference standings,
since that can really un-balance the schedule depending who you get in a given year.

4 CCGs
2 semi-finals, based on some ranking paired 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3
NCG


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:37 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1010
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
tute79 wrote:
Where's it all headed ?

Suppose the "Big 5" conferneces got together and decided to consolidate into four 18-team conferences:



ACC (adds UConn, WVU, Cincy, Notre Dame FB):

North: BC, UConn*, Syracuse, Pitt, VaTech, WVU *, Cincy*, Louisville, Notre Dame (all sports*)
South: UVa, UNC, NCSU, Duke, Wake, Clemson, GaTech, FSU, Miami


Big Eighteen (adds Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State):

Legends (no, just kidding !) East: Rutgers, Maryland, PSU, OSU, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, MSU, Northwestern
West: Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State *, Missouri *, Nebraska, Kansas *, Kansas State*


SEC: (loses Missouri, adds Baylor, TCU, TT, OU, OSU):

East: South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas
West: Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, Texas A&M, Baylor*, TCU*, Texas Tech *, Oklahoma*, Oklahoma State*


PAC: (adds SDSU, UNLV, Boise St. BYU, Colorado State, Texas):

Pacific: UW, WSU, OU, OSU, Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA, SDSU *
Western: AU, ASU, UNLV *, Utah, BYU*, Boise St. *, Colorado, CSU*, Texas *


Best I could come up with.... nobody currently in the "Big 5" is left out (thus less of a chance for law suits...)
Only 1 team moves out of a confernece that continues to exist in the future (Missouri).
The 10 Big XII teams get re-distributed: 1 to ACC, 3 to B1G, 5 to SEC, 1 to PAC.

Going forward we have 72 teams:
64.5 curently in the Big 5. Notre Dame FB (0.5) comes in.
7 teams are promoted:
2 from AAC (to ACC): UConn and Cincy
4 from MWC (to PAC): Boise St., UNLV, San Diego State, Colorado St.
1 independent (to PAC): BYU

Format - play the other 8 in your 9-team division as a round robin.
Play 2-3 more from the other division. Maybe some protected rivalry games like Northwest-Illinios, Va-VaTech.
Don't necessarily have to have those inter-divisional games count in conference standings,
since that can really un-balance the schedule depending who you get in a given year.

4 CCGs
2 semi-finals, based on some ranking paired 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3
NCG


Interesting format. But what would be of Army and Navy? And the mid-majors schools of the FBS, like those in C-USA, the Sun Belt and the AAC?

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:44 am 
Offline
Junior
Junior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:38 pm
Posts: 124
SEC & B1G raid the ACC

SEC takes Clemson, NCSU, VT & FSU

West: TAMU, Mizzou, Ark, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU
Central: Bama, Auburn, Tenn, Vany, UK, UGa
East: UF, FSU, USC, Clemson, NCSU, VT

B1G takes GT, UVa, UNC, Duke

West: Nebraska, Iowa, Minne, Wisc, NW, Illi
Central: Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, MSU, OSU, PSU
East: GT, Duke, UNC, UVa, UMD, Rutgers

Big XII agrees to take the rest if UND is in

West: UT, Baylor, TCU, OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU
East: UWV, Pitt, UND, BC, Cuse, Ville, WF, Miami

PAC accepts BYU and TTU also jumps west

North: Oregon, OSU, UW, WSU, Utah, CU, BYU
South: Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, Arizona, ASU, TTU


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:18 am 
Offline
Junior
Junior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:38 pm
Posts: 124
ACC, B1G, Big XII, PAC & SEC plus ND breakaway

MAC, MW, SBC, CUSA, AAC & FBS Indys join with Big Sky, CAA, MVFL & SoCon to form regional conferences

NAU, Fresno St, SDSU, SJSU, Cal Poly, Sacramento St, UC Davis, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, UNM, NMSU

Boise St, Idaho, Idaho St, Montana, MSU, Portland St, EWU, Utah St, BYU, SUU, Weber St, Wyoming

Arkansas St, CSU, AFA, Northern Col, Tulsa, TSU, UTEP, UTSA, Rice, Houston, SMU, UNT

Kent St, Akron, Ohio, Miami, Cincinnati, Bowling Grn, Toledo, Youngstown St, EMU, WMU, CMU, WKU

Illinois St, NIU, SIU, WIU, Indiana St, Ball St, UNI, Missouri St, UND, ND State, USD, SD State

UAB, USA, Troy, Samford, GA State, GA Southern, Mercer, Tulane, ULL, ULM, LA Tech, USM

UConn, Delaware, Maine, Navy, Towson, UMass, UNH, Albany, Stoney Brook, Buffalo, Army, Rhode Island

FIU, FAU, USF, UCF, Charlotte, ECU, App State, Elon, WCU, Wofford, Furman, Citadel

Temple, Villanova, MTSU, Memphis, ETSU, Chattanooga, ODU, Richmond, JMU, William & Mary, VMI, Marshall


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:43 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am
Posts: 201
Playing with the idea of 16-team conferences with the current 129 teams set to play in the FBS:

(As much as I hate independent status, 129/16 = 8R1, so I kept 1 independent for the sake of evenness)

PAC16: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, California, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado, Utah, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St

BIG SIXTEEN (B1G or B16): Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn St, Maryland, Rutgers, Kansas, Missouri

SEC: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi, Mississippi, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, North Carolina St, Virginia Tech, Baylor

ACC: Miami (FL), Florida St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Memphis

AAC: SMU, Houston, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF, East Carolina, USF, Temple, Navy, Charlotte, Kansas St, Iowa St, Massachusetts, UAB, Army, TCU

MT WEST: Hawaii, Fresno St, San Jose St, San Diego St, Nevada, UNLV, Boise St, Utah St, Colorado St, Air Force, Wyoming, New Mexico, Idaho, New Mexico St, UTEP, BYU

MAC: Northern Illinois, Ball St, Buffalo, Ohio, Toledo, Bowing Green, Akron Kent St, Miami (OH), Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Old Dominion, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Marshall

CUSA: UTSA, North Texas, Rice, Louisiana Tech, FIU, FAU, Southern Miss, Texas St, UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe, Arkansas St, South Alabama, Troy, Georgia St, Georgia Southern, Appalachian St

Ind.: Notre Dame

---------------------

If James Madison comes into FBS: shift JMU to MAC, BYU to Independent, TCU to MT WEST, and Northern Illinois or Marshall to AAC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:08 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1010
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
BePcr07 wrote:
Playing with the idea of 16-team conferences with the current 129 teams set to play in the FBS:

(As much as I hate independent status, 129/16 = 8R1, so I kept 1 independent for the sake of evenness)

PAC16: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, California, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado, Utah, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St

BIG SIXTEEN (B1G or B16): Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn St, Maryland, Rutgers, Kansas, Missouri

SEC: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi, Mississippi, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, North Carolina St, Virginia Tech, Baylor

ACC: Miami (FL), Florida St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Memphis

AAC: SMU, Houston, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF, East Carolina, USF, Temple, Navy, Charlotte, Kansas St, Iowa St, Massachusetts, UAB, Army, TCU

MT WEST: Hawaii, Fresno St, San Jose St, San Diego St, Nevada, UNLV, Boise St, Utah St, Colorado St, Air Force, Wyoming, New Mexico, Idaho, New Mexico St, UTEP, BYU

MAC: Northern Illinois, Ball St, Buffalo, Ohio, Toledo, Bowing Green, Akron Kent St, Miami (OH), Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Old Dominion, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Marshall

CUSA: UTSA, North Texas, Rice, Louisiana Tech, FIU, FAU, Southern Miss, Texas St, UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe, Arkansas St, South Alabama, Troy, Georgia St, Georgia Southern, Appalachian St

Ind.: Notre Dame

---------------------

If James Madison comes into FBS: shift JMU to MAC, BYU to Independent, TCU to MT WEST, and Northern Illinois or Marshall to AAC


Gotta admire the preview of your dream conference format of the current FBS schools. All I know is that the Sun Belt would be dissolved as an athletic conference (not only just for football). But my main questions is what would be the future of UALR and UTA (even if they don't sponsor football, with the SBC out)?

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:38 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am
Posts: 201
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
BePcr07 wrote:
Playing with the idea of 16-team conferences with the current 129 teams set to play in the FBS:

(As much as I hate independent status, 129/16 = 8R1, so I kept 1 independent for the sake of evenness)

PAC16: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, California, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado, Utah, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St

BIG SIXTEEN (B1G or B16): Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn St, Maryland, Rutgers, Kansas, Missouri

SEC: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi, Mississippi, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, North Carolina St, Virginia Tech, Baylor

ACC: Miami (FL), Florida St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Memphis

AAC: SMU, Houston, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF, East Carolina, USF, Temple, Navy, Charlotte, Kansas St, Iowa St, Massachusetts, UAB, Army, TCU

MT WEST: Hawaii, Fresno St, San Jose St, San Diego St, Nevada, UNLV, Boise St, Utah St, Colorado St, Air Force, Wyoming, New Mexico, Idaho, New Mexico St, UTEP, BYU

MAC: Northern Illinois, Ball St, Buffalo, Ohio, Toledo, Bowing Green, Akron Kent St, Miami (OH), Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Old Dominion, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Marshall

CUSA: UTSA, North Texas, Rice, Louisiana Tech, FIU, FAU, Southern Miss, Texas St, UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe, Arkansas St, South Alabama, Troy, Georgia St, Georgia Southern, Appalachian St

Ind.: Notre Dame

---------------------

If James Madison comes into FBS: shift JMU to MAC, BYU to Independent, TCU to MT WEST, and Northern Illinois or Marshall to AAC


Gotta admire the preview of your dream conference format of the current FBS schools. All I know is that the Sun Belt would be dissolved as an athletic conference (not only just for football). But my main questions is what would be the future of UALR and UTA (even if they don't sponsor football, with the SBC out)?


I don't hate the idea of non-football members, but only if they don't have football (with the exception of Notre Dame or BYU but only to have even conferences). I'd try to find another conference for UTA and UALR before placing them into an FBS conference as a non-football member. The WAC would be a potential home, but it's so weak and unstable that I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. The Southland Conference would an obvious favorite, but it already has 14 members, so I'm not sure they'd be comfortable adding 2 more schools. The only other conference I could even see would be the Ohio Valley. While they are not within the OVC footprint, adding UALR and UTA simultaneously would make Texas contiguous by way of Arkansas. But the OVC has 12 members already. If the schools were to be picked up as non-football members by FBS conferences, UALR would really only be able to find a home in CUSA. UTA would probably drop into CUSA but could be considered by the MT WEST.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Quinn and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group