NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:45 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
I'm not really certain as to WHY you are interested in moving these two schools? Especially, when these two schools seem happy where they are. Was there some reason behind you suggesting this move?

The reason why they don't move to the GAC is....
1. The GAC is made up of smaller schools...than the MIAA.
2. The MIAA is more competitive than the GAC.
3. These two schools would probably dominate the GAC, which wouldn't be good for the GAC schools.
4. The GAC has equal sides with 6 in OK and 6 in Ark. Why mess that up?
5. The MIAA base is in Missouri and Kansas...so, I'll bet that the MIAA likes having its toe in Oklahoma(and Nebraska).
6. IF, either of these two schools wanted to be in the GAC...they would have joined that league instead of joining the MIAA in 2012.
7. Schools in the MIAA have the potential to move up to the next level. The GAC has no potential call-ups.

To me...it's like big brother vs little brother. And why would a school choose to drop down a level?

Then how about any of the current 12 GAC schools be called into the MIAA? Would it be better?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:15 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:
I'm not really certain as to WHY you are interested in moving these two schools? Especially, when these two schools seem happy where they are. Was there some reason behind you suggesting this move?

The reason why they don't move to the GAC is....
1. The GAC is made up of smaller schools...than the MIAA.
2. The MIAA is more competitive than the GAC.
3. These two schools would probably dominate the GAC, which wouldn't be good for the GAC schools.
4. The GAC has equal sides with 6 in OK and 6 in Ark. Why mess that up?
5. The MIAA base is in Missouri and Kansas...so, I'll bet that the MIAA likes having its toe in Oklahoma(and Nebraska).
6. IF, either of these two schools wanted to be in the GAC...they would have joined that league instead of joining the MIAA in 2012.
7. Schools in the MIAA have the potential to move up to the next level. The GAC has no potential call-ups.

To me...it's like big brother vs little brother. And why would a school choose to drop down a level?

Then how about any of the current 12 GAC schools be called into the MIAA? Would it be better?

Arkansas Tech and Harding appear to be worthy of some consideration. Though, I don't know how competitive they are in every sport....and I haven't seen any of their facilities.

There is a football spot open in the Southland. So, if an MIAA school gets called up...then maybe either of those two could be in the running for a move up. They would compete with plenty of other schools for that spot, I would imagine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:48 pm 
Senior
Senior

Always wondering how conference realignment would leave us today had Georgia Tech and Tulane never left the SEC back in the 1960's (also assuming the SEC wouldn't have voted either out by now - more so referring to Tulane.) I have reasons/explanations for each school (all 129 including Charlotte), but I did have to make a few stretch decisions and logical leaps which may not be that logical after all. If you would like to know my explanations for any choice I made, I'd be more than glad to share them. Schools listed per conference alphabetically.

PAC-12: Arizona, Arizona St, California, Colorado, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington, Washington St
XII: Arkansas, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech
B1G: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio St, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin
SEC: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida St, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, South Carolina, Tennessee, Tulane, Vanderbilt
ACC: Boston College, Cincinnati, Clemson, Duke, Louisville, Miami FL, North Carolina, North Carolina St, Penn St, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, West Virginia
AAC: Baylor, Connecticut, East Carolina, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Navy, TCU, Temple, Tulsa, UCF, USF
MWC: Air Force, Boise St, Colorado St, Fresno St, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, San Diego St, San Jose St, UNLV, Utah St, Wyoming
CUSA: Charlotte, FAU, FIU, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion, Rice, SMU, Southern Miss, UAB, UL Lafayette, UTEP, UTSA, Western Kentucky
MAC: Akron, Ball St, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Kent St, Miami OH, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Toledo, Western Michigan
SBC: Appalachian St, Arkansas St, Georgia Southern, Georgia St, Idaho, Massachusetts, New Mexico St, North Texas, South Alabama, Texas St, Troy, UL Monroe
Independents: Army, BYU, Notre Dame

Post subject: DREAM CONFERENCE FOR FUN
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:04 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Here's a 4x16 without the B1G:

ACC
FSU, GT, Clemson, Miami
UNC, Duke, Wake, NCSU
BC, Rutgers, Syr, Pitt
Ohio St, Lou, UVa, VT

PAC 16
UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford
UW, WSU, Ore, Ore St
Ariz, Ariz St, Colo, Utah
Nebr, Iowa, Minn, Wisc

BIG 16:
Tex, Tex Tech, Baylor, TCU
Okla, Okla St, Kan, Kan St
Iowa St, NW, Ind, Purdue
Mich, Mi St, Penn St, WVU

SEC
A&M, LSU, Ark, Mizzou
Fla, Geo, S Car, UMd
Miss, Miss St, Ala, Aub
Ky, Vandy, Tenn, Illinois

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:56 pm 
Senior
Senior

I was thinking about expansion. I was thinking what if the big 5 expanded to 14 teams. Here is what i think would happen.

Pac 12 adds
Fresno state(from MWC)
San Diego State(from MWC)

The addition is simple. It adds a additional trip to California for recruiting. Though it doesn't add much tv views(if any)

Big 12
Adds Tulsa from the AAC
Adds Cincinnati from AAC
Adds ECU from AAC
Adds Charlotte From C-usa

adds Tulsa to the southern division to make it a Texas Oklahoma division. Added Cincy as a travel partner for West Virginia(not great but gets big 12 into ohio) ECU and Charlotte to get them into North Carolina.

MWC conferance
Losses Hawaii football(disbands football due to budget)
Adds New Mexico state as All sports member from Sun belt/WAC
Adds BYU back from independent/WCC
Adds North Texas from C-USA

After losing Fresno state and San Diego state to the PAC 12 Hawai folds it's football program.(closest football game would be San Jose) Added New Mexico state and BYU as travel partners for existing schools in conference. Added North Texas to fill the eastern split of schools. The only school out west that could be asked(if they want back into San Diego) Is the university of San Diego.
MWC stays at 12
West Division
San Jose State University
New Mexico
New Mexico state
Boise State
UNLV
Nevada

East Division
Utah state
BYU
Air Force
Colorado State
North Texas
Wyoming

AAC.
Adds UMASS from independents and A-10
adds Middle Tennessee state from C-USA
adds Rice from C-USA

goes to 12

C-USA
(down 4 schools currently)
Adds Texas State from Sun Belt
Adds Troy from Sun belt
at 12 now

Sun Belt
(down 2 all sports and 1 football only)
Idaho drops to FCS or disbands football
Adds Liberty from Big South conference
adds Lamar from southland
Adds Houston baptist from Southland
Adds Sam Houston State from southland
Add East Tennessee State from So con
West:
Lamar
Houston Baptist
Sam Houston State
Louisiana at Monroe
Louisiana at Lafayette
South Alabama

East:
Liberty
Arkansas State
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
East Tennessee State

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:36 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Mind if I add mine? ;)

ACC Atlantic: BC, Clemson, FSU, NC St, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Miami (FL)
ACC Coastal: Duke, GT, Louisville, UNC, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech
Changes: Switched Pitt and Maryland

Big Ten West: Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, NW, Iowa, Purdue, Wisconsin
Big Ten East: Rutgers, Pitt, Mich, MSU, Ohio St, Penn St, Notre Dame
Changes: Switched Maryland and Pitt, Dropped Nebraska, Added Notre Dame

Big 12 North: ISU, Kansas, KSU, Colorado, West Virginia, Nebraska
Big 12 South: Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, OU, Okla St

Pac-12 North: Oregon, Washington, Oregon St, WSU, Boise St, Utah
Pac-12 South: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona St.

SEC East: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
SEC West: Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St, Missouri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:00 am 
Senior
Senior

IM MOVING THIS TO DREAM CONFERENCE AWAY FROM XII THREAD, JUST FYI

fighting muskie wrote:
I was thinking maybe something like this:

West: Kansas, Kansas St, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas, Texas Tech
East: Miami, Florida St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

You could possibly do 16 with TCU, Baylor, Louisville, and a North Carolina school probably NC State. This group would be pretty strong in football. It divides into nice 4 team pods.

SEC grabs Virginia Tech and North Carolina St (gets to 16)
B1G grabs Boston College and Syracuse (gets to 16)
Out: Iowa St and Wake Forest (both to American)

PAC decides to grab 4 football-only schools (only get a slightly unequal share of football revenue and have no voice in conference decisions other than football): Boise St, Colorado St, BYU, Nevada (avoids BYU's no-play on Sunday rule, grabs a couple new markets, and makes the conference more competitive)

New ACC - Atlantic Central Conference
West: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Baylor, TCU
North: Kansas, Kansas St, Louisville, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Virginia
South: Miami FL, Florida St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, Duke

SEC
West: Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Mississippi, Alabama, Auburn
East: Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, North Carolina St, Clemson, Georgia, Florida

B1G
West: Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue
East: Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn St, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, Boston College

PAC
North: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, Boise St, Nevada, California, Stanford
South: Utah, BYU, Colorado, Colorado St, Arizona, Arizona St, USC, UCLA

Mountain West
West: San Diego St, Fresno St, San Jose St, UNLV, Utah St, Wyoming, Air Force
South: New Mexico, UTEP, Tulsa, SMU, Rice, UTSA, Louisiana Tech
*Hawaii drops football completely

American
West: Iowa St, Northern Illinois, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, Tulane, Navy
East: USF, UCF, East Carolina, Wake Forest, Temple, Marshall, Connecticut

CUSA
West: New Mexico St, Texas St, North Texas, UL Lafayette, UL Monroe, Arkansas St
East: Southern Miss, Middle Tennessee St, Western Kentucky, Troy, South Alabama, UAB
*Idaho drops football to FCS
*UAB revives the program (other options: Chattanooga upgrades, Missouri St upgrades (joins West, moves Arkansas St East), or ???)

MAC
West: Ball St, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Toledo, Bowling Green St
East: Ohio, Miami OH, Kent St, Akron, Buffalo, Army

Atlantic East
South: FAU, FIU, Georgia Southern, Georgia St, Coastal Carolina, Appalachian St
North: Charlotte, Old Dominion, James Madison, Eastern Kentucky, Delaware, Massachusetts
*Upgrades: Coastal Carolina, James Madison, Eastern Kentucky, and Delaware

Notre Dame - Independent
Allowed as a "Power" but with rules. Must play at least 6 away games. May substitute neutral site games for home games, but not for away games. Must play 2 teams from ACC (home/away), SEC (home/away), B1G (home/away), PAC (home/away). Must play 2 "Non-power" teams each year (home/away) - may play Navy every year but that game doesn't count towards non-power requirement of 2 games. That leaves 1 game of Notre Dame's choice. Better make it a good one. May not play the same opponents in back-to-back years (except for Navy.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:54 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

I've come up with something a little different this morning. Many people have fun postulating what a 'Power 4' conference lineup would look like, with either the Big 12 or ACC being devoured by other conferences. But what if neither one of those was the conference to disappear?

In my hallucinatory universe, realignment Armageddon is started with the B1G expanding west, way west, picking up 6 AAU schools from the Pac 12 - All 4 California schools along with Oregon and Washington. This puts the B1G at 20 schools, where I think they stop expanding, not taking the remaining AAU schools of Arizona and Colorado. The B1G has a long relationship with the Pac schools, and I think this is the most likely way for the B1G to ever expand to 20 schools.

What happens next could go one of two ways. The SEC could look to match the B1G's expansion, and decide to raid the Big 12 or ACC. But I think Texas really doesn't want to follow A&M and instead they lead the charge for the Big 12 to expand by adding the 6 remaining Pac schools: Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado, Utah, Oregon St, and Washington St. They also bring in BYU and Boise St to get to 18 teams.

West Virginia is not happy with all the westward expansion, and is given a release from the Big 12 GOR to join the SEC. The SEC also picks up NC State and Virginia Tech from the ACC. I'm not sure how they're able to break free of the ACC GOR, but I had to the let the SEC pick up someone of value after failing to get UT or either Oklahoma school. In a bit of a shocker, I have the SEC picking up SMU to get to 18 teams.

After losing NC State and Va Tech, the ACC responds by adding UConn, Temple, Central Florida, Memphis, Cincinnati, and gets Notre Dame full time to also sit at 18 teams.

The Big 12 needs to replace West Virginia to get back to 18, so they pick up New Mexico to fill in their new western footprint.

At this point, the B1G has 20 schools, while the Big 12, SEC, and ACC all have 18. The Big 12 could expand to 20 by adding any of the remaining MWC schools, or perhaps Houston or Tulane from the AAC. The ACC get to 20 by adding 2 from a possible list of Houston, East Carolina, South Florida, Tulane, Tulsa, and Rice.

I don't see any other options the SEC would be that happy with adding, any of the remaining AAC schools would be duplicating a market, so unless they could further raid the ACC or be able to break into the newly strengthened Big 12 I think they'd stay at 18. I went with SMU as their 18th team to get a little more share of the DFW market, A&M has a much larger presence in Houston than in DFW, so I don't think the SEC would go for either Houston or Rice. They could also go into Central Texas with either Texas St or UTSA, but I think SMU would get the nod as they've been a power conference member before (Southwest Conference) while the other two are FBS newbies. I don't think Tulsa delivers enough of the already small Oklahoma market to get consideration. If the SEC can't get NC State or Virginia Tech, then East Carolina becomes a real possibility, and perhaps they are able to get Cincinnati before the ACC does.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:26 am 
Senior
Senior

24-School "Conference-Regions" for Football Only

Conferences figure out there is more money with numbers. In fact, they decide they can set up regions with 24 schools split into 3 divisions. Scheduling: 10 conference games (5 home, 5 away), 2 non-conference --- the conferences are so large with many regional schools that the stadiums would be full and the rivalries built would be incredible. After realignment finishes, only 3 power regions remain: SEC, PAC, and B1G.

SEC
West: Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor, Arkansas, Missouri, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St
North: Kentucky, Louisville, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, North Carolina St, Wake Forest
South: Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, South Carolina, Clemson, Florida, Miami FL
Schools that were the biggest stretches for me: TCU, Baylor, Cincinnati, Wake Forest, Miami FL

PAC
Northwest: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, Boise St, Utah, Nevada, Colorado St
Southwest: Stanford, California, UCLA, USC, Notre Dame, San Diego St, Arizona, Arizona St
Central: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas St, Iowa St, New Mexico, Colorado
Schools that were the biggest stretches for me: Nevada, San Diego St, Iowa St

B1G
Atlantic: Florida St, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Maryland, Rutgers, Connecticut
East: Boston College, Syracuse, Penn St, Pittsburgh, Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St, Northwestern
West: Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas
Schools that were the biggest stretches for me: None.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32